PDA

View Full Version : Shutter Release Cable - connection problem

Simos Xenakis
10-Nov-2016, 18:06
I just purchased two shutter release cables with tapered threads (a 12" Nikon AR-3 and a 20" Pentax 50) but I'm having trouble getting them to seat properly in the threaded hole for my Copal No.0 shutter.

Both cables (which are identical except for length btw) only thread in about halfway with the other half of the threads showing. When I inspect the threaded hole of my shutter, it appears to be straight and not tapered (but it's hard to say).

Do I need a tapered threaded hole for my shutter, or is this as far as tapered threads are supposed to thread in? I feel like there's a little bit of play when I screw them in and I don't want to force them any further because I don't want to ruin the threads.

If I need a new threaded hole, are those easy to come by? Looks as if the threaded hole assembly screws off with some basic flathead screws.

I attached some photos to give you a better idea.

Tapered threads:

Threaded hole for Copal No.0 (hard to tell what's really going on in there):

This is as much as I can thread them:

Another view of the alignment:

Jim Jones
10-Nov-2016, 18:26
Decades ago some American cable releases had a straight 5-44 thread. Older shutters may have this thread. Newer cables and shutters use the so-called European tapered 50 TPI thread. Since this tapered thread can engage only one or two turns, it is common for some threads to be exposed. The two types are close enough that sometimes they can be interchanged.

Leigh
10-Nov-2016, 18:33
I don't know why the tapered attachment exists, but it's used all over the world.

My guess is that way back in the early days of photography, shutters had different thread diameters but with the same pitch.

The simplest way to make a universal release was to create a tapered thread that would mate with all of them.

In any case, the release nose does not seat to the full depth of the thread on the shutter. That's normal.

Just torque it snug and use it.

- Leigh

Jac@stafford.net
10-Nov-2016, 19:28
Dunno if this adds to the topic.

LabRat
10-Nov-2016, 20:05
The block might have been re-tapped at sometime (for some reason) for the straight thread... Was it for some specific application or stripped in the past??? Maybe a cable release tip had broken before and had to be drilled out (or worn out), then re-tapped?

Anyways, another block can replace this if these threads wear out, or one of those external cable release adapters that can trip the external shutter release can be added to the lensboard if this connection ever fails... Be careful connecting the cable release, and don't tug or torque the connection, or lug the camera around with the cable release dangling/swinging around...

Steve K

Bob Salomon
11-Nov-2016, 06:39
Use a loupe and look into the socket to see if a cable release tip hasn't broken off inside the socket. If so place a jewler's screwdriver tip into the socket till it grabs the broken tip and unscrew it.

cowanw
11-Nov-2016, 08:06
Conversely, check your releases and be sure the tips have not broken off.

Kevin Crisp
11-Nov-2016, 09:38
What you have photographed thinking it abnormal is the way all my releases look on all my modern shutters. You just snug it gently in there and it will work.

Jac@stafford.net
11-Nov-2016, 10:38
[...] Anyways, another block can replace this if these threads wear out [...]
Steve K

I got a shutter with no block. Any idea where I can find one?

Keith Pitman
11-Nov-2016, 10:41

I've seen then on Ebay and I've bought them from Schneider. Be ready for sticker shock either way.

Bob Salomon
11-Nov-2016, 11:23

Nippon and Precision usually have them. So do many other repai companies.

Bob Salomon
11-Nov-2016, 11:24

Nippon and Precision usually have them. So do many other repair companies.

Simos Xenakis
12-Nov-2016, 14:56
Thanks, everyone, for the reassurance that it's normal for it to not thread all the way.

I snugged it up a bit more and that removed the play. Also visited a local shop and their tapered Minette releases were not threading all the way into their Copal 0 shutters either.

They also told me it was normal.

tonyowen
13-Nov-2016, 02:35
I had the same problem when I acquired my LF camera a while back. The cable release just would not 'connect' to the thread in the shutter [like others I found the story about straight and tapered threads - but got nowhere]. Eventually a fine thread of some material was seen n the threaded port. When this was removed the cable fitted okay. However, the angle has to be true for the cable release to screw in. A slight misalignment and it spins out of the threaded port. In addition, there was/is not much spaced for fingers to hold the threaded end of the cable release cable - so it can be a bit fiddly
regards
Tony

Simos Xenakis
13-Nov-2016, 13:25
The block might have been re-tapped at sometime (for some reason) for the straight thread... Was it for some specific application or stripped in the past??? Maybe a cable release tip had broken before and had to be drilled out (or worn out), then re-tapped?

Anyways, another block can replace this if these threads wear out, or one of those external cable release adapters that can trip the external shutter release can be added to the lensboard if this connection ever fails... Be careful connecting the cable release, and don't tug or torque the connection, or lug the camera around with the cable release dangling/swinging around...

Steve K

Steve, not sure if it's ever been re-tapped. Bought the lens used off Ebay, but it's in mint condition.

Simos Xenakis
13-Nov-2016, 13:26
Use a loupe and look into the socket to see if a cable release tip hasn't broken off inside the socket. If so place a jewler's screwdriver tip into the socket till it grabs the broken tip and unscrew it.

Bob, I'll give that a look with a loupe but with the naked eye, it looks clean in there.

Bob Salomon
13-Nov-2016, 13:28
Steve, not sure if it's ever been re-tapped. Bought the lens used off Ebay, but it's in mint condition.

If it is in mint condition then everything works properly and is not in need of service. Obviously yours is not in mint condition.

Simos Xenakis
13-Nov-2016, 16:16
If it is in mint condition then everything works properly and is not in need of service. Obviously yours is not in mint condition.

That's the thing -- according to the consensus here and demonstration by my local analog photo shop, it *is* threading correctly. Seems as though the tapered threads were designed as "universal fits" meant to jam into a variety of unstandardized straight threads.

But I'm not the expert here. And there seems to be differing opinions. Couple of people on FB, where I also posed the question, said that the issue is usually caused by cheap shutter releases but my releases aren't the no-name kind.

Bob Salomon
13-Nov-2016, 16:28
That's the thing -- according to the consensus here and demonstration by my local analog photo shop, it *is* threading correctly. Seems as though the tapered threads were designed as "universal fits" meant to jam into a variety of unstandardized straight threads.

But I'm not the expert here. And there seems to be differing opinions. Couple of people on FB, where I also posed the question, said that the issue is usually caused by cheap shutter releases but my releases aren't the no-name kind.

Well, I'll give you my experience after over 40 years of working in the photo industry. We were the importer of Linhof, Gepe and Kaiser cable releases as well as Rodenstock lenses directly and Schneider lenses through Linhof and Silvestri. I never saw a shutter with your problem that haven't had a tip of a cheap cable releases broken off inside the socket. Not once. So, in my experience, you did not buy a mint condition lens and you should get it to a good camera repair shop to have a proper CLA and, if necessary, replace that cable release socket.

Simos Xenakis
13-Nov-2016, 16:34
Well, I'll give you my experience after over 40 years of working in the photo industry. We were the importer of Linhof, Gepe and Kaiser cable releases as well as Rodenstock lenses directly and Schneider lenses through Linhof and Silvestri. I never saw a shutter with your problem that haven't had a tip of a cheap cable releases broken off inside the socket. Not once. So, in my experience, you did not buy a mint condition lens and you should get it to a good camera repair shop to have a proper CLA and, if necessary, replace that cable release socket.

Thanks, Bob. I'll take another look at it with a loupe, and was thinking of bringing it in to a repair shop anyway to have my shutter speeds tested.

Note, by mint I meant the lens, shutter, everything is cosmetically perfect. It seems like it was either very rarely used or just taken care of really well. Not a single scuff or scratch on it and there's barely any specks of dust in the lens.

Simos Xenakis
14-Nov-2016, 02:23
Update: inspected the inside of the socket with a loupe and looks clean. Definitely nothing stuck in there

tonyowen
15-Nov-2016, 02:16
Two more tips/ideas that may work.
1] I pushed/jabbed a soft piece of wood (cocktail stick) into the port and then unscrewed the wooden stick - if something is stuck then it will come out.
2] Then very tip of a cable release rotates relative to the remainder of the cable release - so if you are having problem sit could be that you are rotating the cabel and not the screwed portion. Therefore put some tape around the joint of the tip and the cable (to make it one rather than two elements) Place the tip into the cable release port and rotate ANTICLOCKWISE about 60 degrees until the tip 'drops into the port, then rotate CLOCKWISEso that

tonyowen
15-Nov-2016, 02:23
Two more tips/ideas that may work.
Sorry lot of typos and message sent in error before checking - to continue

1] I push/jab a soft piece of wood (cocktail stick) into the port and then unscrew the wooden stick - if something is stuck it should come out.
2] The very tip of a cable release rotates relative to the remainder of the cable release - so if you are having problems it could be that you are rotating the cable and not the screwed portion. Therefore put some tape around the joint of the tip and the cable (to make it one rather than two elements) Place the tip into the cable release port and rotate ANTICLOCKWISE about 60 degrees until the tip 'drops into the port, then rotate CLOCKWISE so that the screwed tip is tight in the port. Also it might be of benefit to try and sort out the problem with the lens/shutter removed from the camera and lens board.
regards
Tony