PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 Gigabitfilm-Any one using it in the USA?

Gene Crumpler
9-May-2005, 19:13
I bought some gigabitfilm in 4x5 from the UK recently, don't asked how much it costs (the pound is currently 1.8 dollars)!

I got it to try after using some 35mm about 4 years ago. The inventor has said he might bring it out in 120, which is really where I think this film would shine. I don't see much need for it in 4x5 enlarged to 16x20 or so! Any one using this here in the US?

Also, has anyone found a good developer for this other than the supplied chemistry, which is a PITA to use?

Jay DeFehr
9-May-2005, 22:16
Gene,

I haven't used Gigabit film, but I have used several other document and high contrast films. I have found all of these films to respond very well to dilute pyro developers. If you're interested in a formula, contact me through email.

Jay

Donald Qualls
10-May-2005, 04:19
I've developed Kodak Imagelink HQ and Agfa Copex Rapid (microfilms) with nothing more exotic than HC-110 Dilution G. As I recall, I found I needed times between 15 and 20 minutes with agitation every five minutes, or one agitation cycle halfway through development (after continuous agitation the first minute). Imagelink HQ gave EI 50 with this treatment, and a slightly pushed look; Copex Rapid gives EI 64-80 and less pushed appearance, but overall tonality isn't as good as the slower Kodak product.

Gigabitfilm is reputed to be Copex (one stop slower than Copex Rapid, about); as such, any developer with good compensation properties, especially if used with greatly reduced agitation, should work. You'll get the best speed with an optimized developer like H&W Control or one of the SPUR family (Docuspeed?), but it should work well in Technidol LC, POTA, or even Caffenol LC.

Thilo Schmid
10-May-2005, 05:53
Gene,

Gigabitfilm is all about developer. There are two types of developer availiable. Type II and Type IV. Type II is very unique developer. With Gigabit Sheet Film, it retains a Gamma of 0.5, independend of the development time. Type IV behaves more like a normal developer. You may use it at at different temperatures and for different neg contrasts.

The film itself is technical microdocumentation film, while sheet film and 35mm have different characteristics and are actually differnt types of film (according to Dr. Ludwig of Gigabitfilm). You may use the Gigabitfilm developer for other technical high contrast films as well. I got excellent results with Maco ORT 25, e.g.

There are other developers availiable to make use of microfilm for pictorial photography, e.g. SPUR Nonospeed or Kodak Technidol (AFAIK still availiable). But there is nothing like Gigabitfilm Developer Type II.

AFAIK, there is still no Gigabitfilm 120 availiable.

Gene Crumpler
10-May-2005, 08:37
I've been testing gigabitfilm off and on for about 4 months. The first thing I discovered,it is quite different than TP and copex that I have used extensively in the past. It is not a high contrast film like most others. I developed some sheets in Print developer and got absolutely no increase in contrast. I also developed a sheet in Diafine and the results looked very much like the type IV developed negatives.

I did resolution testing with the best lens I own, 55mm f4 pentax 67 lens by cutting the film down to fit the 6x7 format. I got 156 lp/mm at f-8 (174 is limit for perfect lens on axis at f-8). I had microsccpe images made to determine this and also grain comparisons with TP and Delta 100.

I have nearly completed a report of my findings for the web, but I have not gotten around to finishing. My goal was to try to stimulate interst in 120 (Ludwig wants to call it 310). Ludwig's backers have not yet funded production of 310 film. My interest is in getting a replacement for TP for use with my Hasselblad. Howere, since I starting the test in January, I got my Toyo and decided to go back to the 6x7 pentax. I like the hassie and it is very compact for over seas travel, but Delta 100 souped in Ilfosal-s, does not give sufficient quality to make 16x20's that I am happywith. The Pentax 67 is larger and heaver than the blad, but I have a large investment in the Pentax 67 system so I should be using it.

The PITA part of using type IV with 4x5 is the small quantities of developer you have to use to make the chemistry stretch for 50 pieces of film. BTW- I paid $153 for 50 sheets and chemistry.
The weak dollar is not helping with potential demand in the US!

So I was wondering if anyone else was using this film. It is quite remarkable, but is expensive for us here in the US.