PDA

View Full Version : 210 Symmar-S

Brad Rippe
9-May-2005, 15:33
Hello everyone,
I have a 210 Symmar-S I bought new in the early 80s and want to downsize to save weight and space in my pack. I really like this lens, but I'm thinking of replacing it with the Nikon M200 f/8. 95% of my photography is landscape with extensive hiking. I know this lens is highly regarded for backpacking, but does anyone use it exclusively for all of their 200mm work? I realize there will be limited movements compared to the Symmar-S, and f/8 which I can live with, but sharpness is my greatest concern. The Schneider is really sharp, and is my most commonly used lens, but it is rather large and takes 77mm filters. The Nikon W210 is a possibility, but not a very significant difference in size. Does anyone have a recommendation for a smaller 210 (or 200) lens for 4 by 5?

Thank you all,
Brad

Christopher Perez
9-May-2005, 15:45
My 200M is sharp. As sharp as any Symmar-S I have ever used. I would not call being able to cover 5x7 limiting.

If you have the chance, pick up a Nikkor, keep the Symmar-S, and try out the small/light lens to see if you like it.

BTW, I sold my 210 Symmar years ago and don't miss it. But that's me. Try the Nikkor first before you decide.

Tony Karnezis
9-May-2005, 16:45
210/9 Kowa/Computar. It's very small, coated (multicoated?), takes 52mm filters, comes in a Copal 1 or Polaroid Copal shutter, and covers 8x10 with modest movements (IC about 380mm). I don't have it here at work, but it's slightly larger than a 150/5.6 Symmar-S, and physically smaller than my Nikkor 300/9. I bought it to replace my 210/5.6 Symmar-S, and I get to use it on my 8x10 too. The only problem is finding one. I snatched up one of the last ones on e**y. If you're in San Francisco, drop me a line and you can check it out.

Bill_1856
9-May-2005, 17:49
Kodak f:7.7/203mm coated Ektar in Supermatic shutter. Tiny, light, super sharp, CHEAP! 8 air-glass surfaces, but flare doesn't seem to be a problem, probably because there's no big curved hunk of glass protruding from the front of the camera. Series VI filters. CHEAP!

Gem Singer
9-May-2005, 18:06
Hi Brad,

I know of two 210's, fitting your description, that can be purchased new. The Osaka 210 f6.3 four- element lens from Bromwell Marketing (www.bromwellmarketing.com) , and the three- element Rodenstock 210 f6.8 Caltar II-E , now listed at a sale price at Calumet (www.calumetphoto.com).

A good previously owned small sized 210 , if you can locate one in the used market place, would be the Caltar Pro. It's a Schneider Xenar four element (Tessar type) lens that was re-branded for Calumet.

ronald moravec
9-May-2005, 18:30
I would never complain about my 210 G Claron. Sharp infinity to 1:1. 49mm filters

Gem Singer
10-May-2005, 12:03
P.S. Brad,

Presently, there is a Fujinon 210 F5.6 L, an older single coated Tessar- type lens, mounted in a Copal 1 shutter, listed at K.E.H. (www.keh.com) for $275. Great lens, compact size, light weight, sharp, and very reasonably priced.