PDA

View Full Version : Adjust Dial Compur speeds

Karlpeter
30-Oct-2016, 07:45
I've just bought a Tessar 150/4.5 in a Dial set Compur. The slower speeds are too fast (1 sec is around 1/4). How to adjust? I have already cleaned it up with both Zippo and therafter ultrasonic without any changes.

Peter

Jim Noel
30-Oct-2016, 11:05
Stop ruining this marvelous old shutter and send it to a competent repairman. The it will give many years of reliable service.

Karlpeter
30-Oct-2016, 12:48
Stop ruining this marvelous old shutter and send it to a competent repairman. The it will give many years of reliable service.

Who said anything about ruining? This one will probably be My eight or so dial Compur that I'm fixing. The exception is that the other ones all were to slow and this particular one is to fast. Thats why I'm asking here.... To learn, not to ruin

LabRat
30-Oct-2016, 13:28
Well, first, the iris blades are paper, and can warp if exposed to solvents/moisture...

The air piston/linkage is in question...

Steve K

AJ Edmondson
30-Oct-2016, 15:26
So I don't misunderstand, are we talking about a Compur or Compound? My memory is starting to play tricks on me!
Joel

Karlpeter
30-Oct-2016, 15:32
Well, first, the iris blades are paper, and can warp if exposed to solvents/moisture...

The air piston/linkage is in question...

Steve K

I've seen both sorts of iris blades in dial compurs. I always separate the "iris house" and the shutter blades from the shutterhouse before clearing them in 1) in naphta over thenight 2) in My ultrasonic cleaner for about 15min.

Karlpeter
31-Oct-2016, 18:25
Done!!

pjd
1-Nov-2016, 06:22
How did you fix it?

Karlpeter
10-Nov-2016, 10:10
How did you fix it?

Displace the long arm that goes from 3 to 9 o'clock. Just under the star wheel there is a screw. By turning this just slightly cw or ccw with one second set, the second will in- or decrease ( download the shutter speed app to your smart phone). You'll have to put back the arm before every measure. When the s econd is ok check the times between 1/2 to 1/50. With your shutter speed app try to find Where on the Dial ring 1/4 1/8and so on,are located

Karlpeter
10-Nov-2016, 10:49
Displace the long arm that goes from 3 to 9 o'clock. Just under the star wheel there is a screw. By turning this just slightly cw or ccw with one second set, the second will in- or decrease ( download the shutter speed app to your smart phone). You'll have to put back the arm before every measure. When the s econd is ok check the times between 1/2 to 1/50. With your shutter speed app try to find Where on the Dial ring 1/4 1/8and so on,are located

tonyowen
10-Nov-2016, 11:43
download the shutter speed app to your smart phone. With your shutter speed app try to find Where on the Dial ring 1/4 1/8and so on,are located
May be I'm thick or just old, but how can a phone/tablet shutter speed app be used to check the speed of a mechanical shutter that is not an integral part of the phone/tablet?
I know shutter speed apps can be used to check, monitor and sometimes alter the characteristics a camera built into the phone/camera.
Also which shutter speed app did you use as there seem to be many available?
Please advise
regards
Tony

Mark Sampson
10-Nov-2016, 18:54
I would imagine that it works by timing the sound of the shutter's action. Someone who uses the app could, perhaps, explain it properly.

pjd
12-Nov-2016, 08:21
I've got one of those shutter speed tester applications. It can be used either just by recording the sound of the shutter firing, or by plugging a light sensor into the jack of the phone and pointing it into the shutter with a light source the other side before firing. Either way it records a wave form with spikes (shutter opening and closing) which are plotted on a timebase giving you the shutter speed. It works fairly well - at least with the old shutters I use. Never tried it with any shutters that go really fast (that is, anything fairly modern).

The app I use is called Shutter-Speed on Android. I kept meaning to plug a photo sensitive diode into my phone but ended up buying a plug in adapter from someone on eBay, I think the same person who developed the app I use.

pjd
12-Nov-2016, 08:34

Thanks for the reply - I'll need to get out a dial set shutter out to have a closer look. Glad you got your shutter working, and thanks for sharing your findings.

tonyowen
12-Nov-2016, 08:49
I've got one of those shutter speed tester applications. It can be used either just by recording the sound of the shutter firing, or by plugging a light sensor into the jack of the phone and pointing it into the shutter with a light source the other side before firing. Either way it records a wave form with spikes (shutter opening and closing) which are plotted on a timebase giving you the shutter speed. It works fairly well - at least with the old shutters I use.

Thank you, so the sound option is like Audacity, which I've used to get some idea of the speeds of my shutter. At speeds above 1/125s (my shutter speeds are 1/500s down to 1s) it is difficult to distinguish the click-clunk from the other mechanical noises. The grouping of the peaks for 1/125s and longer (on Audacity) are easily seen so the actual tine of shutter-open can be unambiguously determined.
regards
Tony