PDA

View Full Version : Power out

roos
30-Oct-2016, 02:24
If the power goes out when your sheets are in the autolab, you can have results like these :(

Randy
30-Oct-2016, 05:45
Cool!

bob carnie
30-Oct-2016, 06:43
Ok so why did you not take the drum off and manually agitate and roll? Just sayin

roos
30-Oct-2016, 17:11
Ok so why did you not take the drum off and manually agitate and roll? Just sayin

Well, sometimes there are more important things to worry about during a power cut than two sheets of film.

:)

Willie
30-Oct-2016, 19:29
Well, sometimes there are more important things to worry about during a power cut than two sheets of film.

:)

What? A few minutes in chemistry probably won't make much difference unless you are talking life saving electronics for medical.

loonatic45414
9-Dec-2016, 21:32
I like the effect. Looking forward to your next power outage!

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Luis-F-S
10-Dec-2016, 06:51

+1 Some of us have a whole house generator so the power never goes out more than 15 sec at a time. Easy to count for those seconds. If I put the timer/processor on a small UPS, you don't even have to worry about that. If I had frequent power outages, I would. All the computers and the security system are on UPSs. L

xkaes
10-Dec-2016, 07:00
Been there, done that. Too many times! I can't say I've ever experienced a power outage or other "immediate response" situation during processing, but I sure have had my share of bad results -- caused by ME!

Remember those famous D-Day, Omaha beach B&W photos that largely didn't happen because the processing lab screwed up? A photographer puts his life on the line and some guy in the darkroom blew ALMOST everything. But maybe he just had a "power outage" -- or the air raid sirens went off during agitation.

loonatic45414
10-Dec-2016, 07:09
My guess was that the D-day photos were deliberately ruined because the reality was far more gruesome than people could tolerate. Especially if people's loved ones were identified in those shots.

Willie
10-Dec-2016, 07:20
Been there, done that. Too many times! I can't say I've ever experienced a power outage or other "immediate response" situation during processing, but I sure have had my share of bad results -- caused by ME!

Remember those famous D-Day, Omaha beach B&W photos that largely didn't happen because the processing lab screwed up? A photographer puts his life on the line and some guy in the darkroom blew ALMOST everything. But maybe he just had a "power outage" -- or the air raid sirens went off during agitation.

The one exception so far to the common practice of uncritical repetition of Morris’s original fiction: James Estrin’s December 6 Lensblog post at the New York Times, “As He Turns 100, John Morris Recalls a Century in Photojournalism,” which includes this passage:

[In 1943 Morris] became the London picture editor in charge of Life’s photographic coverage of the war in Europe. While there, he edited Robert Capa’s historic photos of the D-Day landing at Normandy’s Omaha Beach in 1944. …

In 1944, when he first looked at the film that Mr. Capa shipped from Omaha Beach, there were only 11 frames that had images. The rest of the 35mm rolls had no images despite a note from Mr. Capa indicating that the best photos were on those four rolls — not on the medium-format film that had images taken before the landing.

For 70 years, Mr. Morris has said a lab technician had told him that the four rolls accidentally melted in the drying process and only part of one roll survived. The story that some of the most important photos in history were destroyed became part of photojournalism lore.

Capa D-Day project logoBut questions about that story have been raised in the last year amid claims that it was unlikely the negatives melted and that the surviving film’s appearance did not seem to conform to the account of enduring unusual heat.

After studying new theories of what happened, Mr. Morris now thinks that the negatives were not melted, and that Mr. Capa only exposed 11 frames on one of the four rolls that were shipped. Mr. Capa probably was rattled, Mr. Morris said, during the withering fire he withstood at Omaha beach [sic].

“I don’t think he himself knew how many pictures he had shot,” Mr. Morris said. “I think there were three rolls that had nothing.”

“Thank God we had one roll that had something,” he added.

http://www.nearbycafe.com/artandphoto/photocritic/2016/12/07/alternate-history-robert-capa-and-john-morris-a/

xkaes
10-Dec-2016, 07:26
Right, conspiracies are lurking behind every bush. So explain why SOME of the pictures -- some, somewhat "gruesome" -- came out. And explain to me why Roosevelt INSISTED that LIFE magazine put this picture of the aftermath of the battle on Buna Beach on its cover in 1943 -- a YEAR before D-Day.

loonatic45414
10-Dec-2016, 11:39
Not one recognizable face. Hmm. Well, I guess you showed me.