PDA

View Full Version : How tight can you pack Readyloads?

Ed Richards
7-May-2005, 12:56
I am working on packing my 4x5 gear so I can take it on a plane trip, including a hop on a regional jet that has very small storage bins. I have figured our how to pack the gear into a Mini-Trekker (Mini-Trekker
Origami (http://biotech.law.lsu.edu/mt.jpg)), with a space just the right size to hold Ready load film. Since the film is packed between the sheets of the envelop, it would seem you could pack it in pretty tight without hurting the film. (We are talking about pressed against foam tight, not pressed against concrete tight.) Any limits on packing in this circumstance? Is the film clip delicate?

Will Strain
7-May-2005, 13:13
The film clip can get bent, but I would not call it delicate.

I alternate mine so that each clip is separated by another sheet going the oposite way...then I put them against the holder, so there is something stiff the same size to bolster them against.

Tom Westbrook
8-May-2005, 06:26
Like Will said, just keep them flat and don't use too much pressure.

FYI, for smaller jets, they let you check bigger carry-on bags (like regulation carry-on size for bigger jets) as you board. They aren't scanned again. At least that's been my experience on US flights.

Dennis Mairet
8-May-2005, 07:26
Mine is the regular Mini-Trekker, not the AW. I have carried Fuji Quickloads in the large zippered pocket of the flap door. A grey card in the same pocket provides rigidity so the Quickloads don't get bent. You have room for a 35mm camera or a few more lenses in there!

Ken Cravillion
8-May-2005, 10:00
Here is my bag. Like Dennis, I keep the film in the outer pocket of the Minitrekker along with the quickload holder in a homemade three pocket bag.

Ed Richards
8-May-2005, 10:43
> FYI, for smaller jets, they let you check bigger carry-on bags (like regulation carry-on size for bigger jets) as you board. They aren't scanned again. At least that's been my experience on US flights.

Remember those luggage commercials with the gorilla tossing the suitcases? They do the gate check luggage for smaller jets. My objective is to have a carry-on I will not have to check at any point. I am also trying the impossible dream of one case for all seasons. The best for traveling would be a hard case, then I could gate check it without fear. Hard cases are no fun to tote once you are off the plane, however. If I do this on a regular basis, I could put my clothes in the Mini-Trekker and stick it in my checked suitcase with my tripod, then carry the camera and film in a hard case.

Randy_5067
8-May-2005, 11:16
One word for flying:
Halliburton
They fit, they are sturdy, they are light, and they can be opened for inspection. They work.

mark blackman
9-May-2005, 01:24
Ed,
Kodak/Fuji both pay to ship ready/quick load film around the world. If they could safely pack 10% more film into a standard shipping crate they would.

I would advice keeping the film in it's orginal envelope and box and take it with you as carry on luggage. I usualy keep it in a bog-standard plastic bag and carry it on in the same way others cary bags with magazines etc.