PDA

View Full Version : Unscrewing front element(s) for soft focus effect

Greg
26-Oct-2016, 16:19
Back when I started to shoot 8x10, my first lens was a 12" f/4.5 Wollensack Velostigmat Series II? in a Betax shutter. Front of lens could be rotated (extended out if I recall) to give you different (numbered) levels of "soft focus". Does anyone know if this was extending out only the front element or was it extending out the whole front group of elements?

thanks

Jac@stafford.net
26-Oct-2016, 16:44
Back when I started to shoot 8x10, my first lens was a 12" f/4.5 Wollensack Velostigmat Series II? in a Betax shutter. Front of lens could be rotated (extended out if I recall) to give you different (numbered) levels of "soft focus". Does anyone know if this was extending out only the front element or was it extending out the whole front group of elements?

It extended the front element.

I could do a search of this site which I hope would reveal a simple modification for that lens that a more astute member described. I followed his instructions which liberated the lens from its limitations.

Try the search and if not successful, get back to us. It is simple, remarkable!

Mark Sawyer
26-Oct-2016, 17:28
I could do a search of this site which I hope would reveal a simple modification for that lens that a more astute member described....

I've been called a lot of things in my time, but astute???!!!

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?57385-Velostigmat-Series-II-Info-and-Images

Greg
27-Oct-2016, 06:29
Unfortunately my 12" f/4.5 Wollensack Velostigmat doesn't have that numbered adjustable diffusion ring. The front elements are as one sealed unit so that simple modification not possible with my lens.
Thanks for info