PDA

View Full Version : First time shoot and processing 4x5..what would cause this issue

mgillilan
25-Oct-2016, 14:47
Was finally able to try my hand at 4x5 photography.

As all of this was new gear to me, I was more interested in getting an image and understanding the workflow better.

I had two negs come out of the processor with what looks like either light fogging or maybe it's a processing error on my part. Oh..ignore what looks like a big 'ol piece of hair or thread in one of the images. Watering hose for hanging plants that I forgot to move out of the way.

Details (probably more then needed):

Some of my gear is new, most is used from KEH. New is the camera body - Intrepid Film Company.

Used: Nikon 135mm, Linhof 240mm, 2xToyo brand Linhof/Technika style boards, 2xFidelity film holders. Jobo processor (CPE2+, I believe). Camera gear was all EX or EX+ from KEH. Jobo came from a large format photographer upgrading to a processor to better handle 5x7 and 8x10.

I loaded two film holders with recently purchased HP5+ - so a total of 4 sheets of film.

I shot one film holder, front and back, with the Nikon (see attached). Two more exposures with the Linhof and the other film holder - again front and back.

Once done, I loaded the the 1st film holder's film into the inner-most rail (closest to the center hub) on the Jobo 2409n reel (I DO NOT have the film clips). One on each side (to create balance).

On the outer edge of the film reel, I loaded the second film holder's film (shot with the linhof lens).

I processed with with 300ml of chemistry (recommend minimum is 270ml) in the Jobo with the recommendations of Jobo (5-min prewash, recommended dev time, 1 min stop, 5min fix, wash for 10mins, 1min wetting agent)

when I pulled out the reel, there was some evidence of the film moving in it's "rail", but not touching anything.

The outer edge negs all look good for my first test. These were shot with the linhof lens.

The inner edge negs look like there was fogged or something. If it was 120 film with hand inversion, I'd say it wasn't enough chemicals.

koraks
26-Oct-2016, 03:14
Looks like a light leak. Since it only occurred with two sheets processed in the same batch, I'd first think about the film holder. Was it seated snugly against the back of the camera when making the exposure? Due to the pattern, I doubt it's the holder itself.
Another possibility is a light leak in the development tank. I hadn't heard of a 2409, but I do use a 2509 myself. If the center column is missing or improperly seated (only possible if the lid of the tank isn't closed properly), a light leak will occur and it may affect sheets in different ways depending on their location on the reel/film reel. When loading the tank, make sure that the lid is seated snugly and cannot rotate before you press down the red collar. if it rotates, it needs to be pressed down a little further.

But given the images, my first thought would be an improperly seated film holder during exposure.

Doremus Scudder
26-Oct-2016, 03:30
... But given the images, my first thought would be an improperly seated film holder during exposure.

... or the spring back of the camera is getting pulled away when removing/inserting the dark slide.

Doremus

zsolt
26-Oct-2016, 06:25
i also think its a light leak..i think the line in the left side on the sample negatives was blocked from light,(maybe 1 finger or something stayed there)and it looks ok,the rest got light, and looks foggy..
try covering your camera back with your darkcloth ALL the time..its a healthy habbit..
also checking the film holder if it sits well inside is a must in my opinion every time as Koraks sad!and pressing the back and the holder in sandwich while taking the darkslide out is a clever idea..
also check what Doremus recommended,and check your spring back..
and dont even think on giving it up!!
we ALL have been where you are now,believe me;),and are here to help you!!
Good Luck and Good Light!
zsolt

mgillilan
26-Oct-2016, 20:57
@koraks - Thank you for the info..I did mistype, it IS a 2509n... NOT a 2409n..

@Doremus Scudder / @koraks / @zsolt - Thank you for the replies. I hadn't thought of misalignment and camera back tension. I'll pay closer attention to that in my next batch! AND I'll use my darkcloth the whole time.

@zsolt - Not giving up! Something about the whole process I enjoy too much - at least my time with 35mm and 120. Something about being more "hands on" with the complete photo process. With 4x5, seems even more so.

Randy
30-Oct-2016, 06:04
After testing the film back and film holder seating, you may want to take the camera into a dark room with a small flashlight (I would extend the bellows for the inspection, all the way or almost all the way) and shine the light inside the camera (remove the lens but leave the film holder in place) from the front - shine it all around the inside while you inspect the outside to see if any light comes through a hole in the bellows or perhaps a poorly seated bellows at the front or back standard. Then repeat the inspection but remove the film back and remount the lens, shining the light inside the back of the camera. You may need to inspect the entire camera bellows from front to back, top, bottom, and both sides. It may be easier to mount it on a small tripod for the inspection, that way you don't have to roll the camera around.
I think you said it is a new camera so hopefully it is not a defective bellows or defective workmanship mounting the bellows.

crl
31-Oct-2016, 08:45
Check your camera for light leaks, my intrepid had leaks around the edges of the bellows on the front and the back of the camera. A quick fix with a little gaffers tape. Also make sure that everything is seated correctly when inserting the film holder and pulling the darkslide needs to be done carefully.
If it is a problem with the camera, contact the guys at Intrepid and they will be more than willing to fix it for you.