PDA

View Full Version : 5x6 film size

Dario
24-Oct-2016, 18:36
Hi folks - Today I came across a sheet of colour-negative film measuring 5x6 (inches). It's labelled KODAK SAFETY FILM in the margin and has three closely-spaced V notches at one end of the long edge. It's a format I've never come across and I'd be interested to hear from anyone who knows anything about it - what sort of film it is, what sort of camera it might have been used in, over what period it was available, etc? Thanks.

blueribbontea
24-Oct-2016, 18:59
Hi folks - Today I came across a sheet of colour-negative film measuring 5x6 (inches). It's labelled KODAK SAFETY FILM in the margin and has three closely-spaced V notches at one end of the long edge. It's a format I've never come across and I'd be interested to hear from anyone who knows anything about it - what sort of film it is, what sort of camera it might have been used in, over what period it was available, etc? Thanks.

Since the notches are on the long side, I wonder if it wasn't a cut down piece.

Leigh
24-Oct-2016, 18:59
has three closely-spaced V notches at one end of the [I]long edge.
Since code notches are usually along the short edge from the factory...

It sounds like someone cut an 8"x10" sheet in half to create two 8"x5" sheets, then shortened them to 6"x5".

i have no clue why.

- Leigh

Dario
24-Oct-2016, 20:02
Hi - Interesting thoughts, thanks. The image on the film indicates that the film was in a holder - there's an unexposed margin 2-3mm wide on all sides. It's interesting that the film has the manufacturer's name exposed on the margin - why would they do that when the film is identified by the notches? Cheers.

Leigh
24-Oct-2016, 20:13
It's interesting that the film has the manufacturer's name exposed on the margin -
why would they do that when the film is identified by the notches?
I expect it's because the notches don't normally show up when the negative is printed.

Also, the edge imprint may contain other information like frame numbers and film speed.

- Leigh

Andrew Plume
29-Oct-2016, 06:33
Hi Dario

I may have said this on here before.............Paul Strand was very fond of this format.........he 'masked' his 5 x 7 Graflex approximately down to this size, that's my sole lead on this and here's a recent link:-

http://www.filmsnotdead.com/paul-strand-photography-and-film-for-the-20th-century/

andrew

Ken Lee
29-Oct-2016, 06:56
His 5x7 camera masked 5x7 sheet film to the 4:5 ratio, namely 5 x 6.25

jnantz
29-Oct-2016, 09:53
I expect it's because the notches don't normally show up when the negative is printed.

Also, the edge imprint may contain other information like frame numbers and film speed.

- Leigh

it all depends on how the negatives are printed.
l have known people over the years who enlarged 4x5 or 5x7 negatives in a larger format enlarger
so the notch and rebate always showed up in the prints, like a contact print, or 35mm &c negative carrier that was filed out.
not everyone enlarges to have no border or notches. AND there is a cottage industry ( or was one ) of people dropping in
notch codes electronically onto scanned negatives/prints because rebates and notch codes have a cool-factor that plain-images lack