PDA

View Full Version : B&W King developing tank caution!

Alan9940
20-Oct-2016, 11:23
For anyone using the B&W King tanks,

CAUTION!! CAUTION!!

If you turn the tank lid over, you will see several small nuts. I strongly advise you to check the tightness of these nuts every so often. I had two of them come loose and rattle around in my 4x5 tank this morning while processing (fwiw, I do inversion with this tank.) It didn't seem to affect the film at all...whew...but, I never would have thought that anything in the tank could come loose!

FWIW...

Steve Goldstein
20-Oct-2016, 12:25
I wonder if Loctite is affected by photochemicals...

Alan9940
20-Oct-2016, 12:37

Yeah, I had that thought, too. For now, I think I'll just keep an eye on 'em.

HMG
20-Oct-2016, 18:22

I would think the solvent action of gasoline (which Loctite can handle) is greater than the solvent action of photochemicals. But that's just an educated guess.

LabRat
21-Oct-2016, 04:05
If there is room around the base of the nut, you might try putting a thin nylon washer under the nut... This will squash under the tightened nut, and help prevent rotation... You can get these at a good hobby store on the rack with the R/C hardware parts...

Steve K

Bob Salomon
21-Oct-2016, 04:27

Which Locktite? There is more then one formulation.

Len Middleton
21-Oct-2016, 06:35
Not familiar with the tank or what the nuts are used for.

However, if the threads are visible and accessible, you can crush part of the threads with pliers so that the nuts cannot come off. Not affected by photo chemicals then...

Jim C.
21-Oct-2016, 10:09
Len and Labrat have excellent suggestions, I'll add to Labrats washer suggestion that there are star washers ( aka tooth lock or lock washers )
meant to grip the nut and surface when tightened, these would be a better choice ( in stainless ) rather than nylon which
does absorb water and chems.

Alan9940
21-Oct-2016, 10:35
Thank you all for your suggestions. I think the washers idea may work, but there isn't much in the way of extra threads for the thickness of a washer; though, I know nylon washers can be very thin. I really like Jim's suggestion of stainless star washers and at this small size they may work.

Thanks, again.

MrFujicaman
21-Oct-2016, 11:09
Try locking nuts with nylon inserts

plaubel
21-Oct-2016, 13:14
Bob, there is a Loctite formula exactly for fixing nuts, I don't know the english name..and I find this the best idea.
Alternatively, one could squeeze the nut with a powerful tool, until the thread becomes slightly elliptic.

Ritchie

bw-man
18-Nov-2016, 03:05
For anyone using the B&W King tanks,

CAUTION!! CAUTION!!

If you turn the tank lid over, you will see several small nuts. I strongly advise you to check the tightness of these nuts every so often. I had two of them come loose and rattle around in my 4x5 tank this morning ......

Thank you, Alan and fellow photographer found problems and puts forward positive improvements.
B&W KING developing tank products in use in the design of many of the screw.
Their function:
Screw cover parts of the developing tank (6)
1, there are four screws inside the sandwich.According to the design, the four screws are not fixed.If the user needs to adjust the height of the mezzanine, change the liquid filling speed.Can adjust for yourself.
2, the rotation of the two screws fixed roof twist.

Install film holders part (4 x5 developing tank has 22 only screw. 5 x7 developing tank has 14 screws.)
3, stainless steel arc support for fixed connection center.
Product before shipping, I have to seriously for each radian of fine adjustment, (not fixed).The screw is best not to adjust myself.
4, fixed at the bottom of the wheel.
Due to the developing tank need to turn the operation, appear loose screw is possible.Can install the screw again。
Can install the screw again。 not too forcibly damage the screw, please note.

measures:
In order to avoid a screw loose, I have been in the each product using the elastic washer on the screw.The gasket material is stainless steel.

I don't understand mechanical, so in the design process of B&W KING, a lot of unexpected problems.I will actively improve, make our products more perfect.
Thank you again Alan and fellow photographer found problems and puts forward positive improvements.