PDA

View Full Version : New55 Color has begun

Daniel.E
20-Oct-2016, 10:53
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/892575418/new55-color-4x5-peelapart-film

Really exciting what the future might hold for us!

EdSawyer
20-Oct-2016, 20:30
Will be interesting, but for the forseeable future, fp100c (even expired) is still a better choice.

lharby
31-Oct-2016, 03:56
Hello all

I have been in contact with Bob and Sam at New55, as I offered to try and pitch their kickstarter campaign to organisations and institutions who might have an interest in backing this project (or in the least promoting it).

I am trying to gather a list of possible companies who might be interested in this venture. (I'm currently still going through my twitter and instagram contacts, so this is by no means complete). However if any of you have any ideas or contacts of where else we can push the campaign, I would really appreciate it. (I am going to post something on Polaroid Passion and Large Format info). I am UK based so in terms of museums and archives I have only really thought about the UK (so international knowledge would be greatly appreciated)

List so far:
Victoria And Albert Museum
Photographers Gallery
National Media Museum
Getty Images
Compton Verney
Arts Professional
Humble Arts Foundation
Big Shot France
1 Instant
Curator Space
Polaroid Easy Art
Format Festival
Brighton Photo Biennale
If You Leave
Women in Photography
Polaboy
Mint Cameras
Artquest
Artists Newsletter
Polaroid Passion
Jerwood Foundation
CVAN
Unseen Photo Fair
Pamplemousse
Retina Photography Festival
Seed Monograph
Aesthetica Magazine
Urbanautica
Soon is Now
Format Magazine
Urban Photographers
Another Magazine
V+S Company
ICA London
032c

BobCrowley
2-Nov-2016, 15:50
Thanks for helping to get the word out. After the US election we will be turning up the volume in the race to the end. Meanwhile, many of you wrote on this archived thread in 2014. It's time to reminisce:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/archive/index.php/t-112236.html

lharby
3-Nov-2016, 05:29
Thank you Bob.

If any more institutions come up I will of course forward the Press Release to them.

Best of luck (both in the election and with the film)!

Degroto
3-Nov-2016, 12:49
Also remember if this kickstarter succeeds we will get a color version of P/N. That would be frickin awesome. Bypassing processing C41 but get an instant color negative. Let's make this happen!

Daniel.E
3-Nov-2016, 13:29
Also remember if this kickstarter succeeds we will get a color version of P/N. That would be frickin awesome. Bypassing processing C41 but get an instant color negative. Let's make this happen!

Nope, no negative. It's only a positive.

Degroto
3-Nov-2016, 14:12
Goal nr 3:
3. This is most exciting: It may be possible to produce a true Color positive-negative material. Never before has this been done except by a few who reclaimed "Fujinegs". An instant color negative is a new idea and something never before offered in the history of analog photography. In addition to being used for instant camera formats, this material could potentially be made into 120 rollfilms, 35mm and used in both instant AND non-instant cameras! This could be an important outcome from your support of this campaign, though it is not a reward here.

Right from their kickstarter page.

Daniel.E
3-Nov-2016, 14:15
Ok I didn't read the whole thing. The last I've heard from them it was that New55 Color was going to be a positive only but hey that's great! even more exciting now.

Degroto
3-Nov-2016, 14:23
Ok I didn't read the whole thing. The last I've heard from them it was that New55 Color was going to be a positive only but hey that's great! even more exciting now.

Yeah that is why I mentioned it. Also when this will become reality the fixing step might not be necesary for the Color PN film. I read that somewhere but I forgot where. So to me the most exciting Kickstarter campaign by far! :-)

EdSawyer
4-Nov-2016, 07:14
Or, you could just use FP100c and get a color negative now - most folks who use fp100c do so. It's not exactly hard or uncommon to do so...

vdonovan
4-Nov-2016, 07:46
Or, you could just use FP100c and get a color negative now - most folks who use fp100c do so. It's not exactly hard or uncommon to do so...

FP100c is no longer available in 4x5, and the pack version was discontinued last year, so it too will eventually disappear from the shelves.

Andrew O'Neill
4-Nov-2016, 10:26
Yes, why support something that has been discontinued??

Degroto
5-Nov-2016, 02:33
Wel Fuji FP100c negative was not intended to be reclaimed. With the New55 Color hopefully we will get a colornegative material that can be processed on the spot with room temperatures. And it is not being made anymore. You should buy FP100c while it is still available. It will take quite a while for packfilm to come back if that is going to happen. Therefor it is imperative to support this kickstarter to make it happen. But you can do both. Support New55 and buy FP100c.

EdSawyer
5-Nov-2016, 09:41
Fp100c is still available new, now. Why support it? Why not? It's easily the best product, still almost reasonably priced. Enjoy it while it lasts before worrying about something else which will not only be lesser quality (at least initially) and more expensive but also uses the kludgy, wretched, 545 holder/system.

The nice thing about the fp100c negative is you can let it dry, and reclaim it later, no problem, even a year or more later. will new55 color allow that? I'd be surprised.

Fp100c is going to to be the best color instant option for at least the next 5 years, or more, so may as well enjoy it while it lasts. It's sad, but I'll be surprised if pack film ever gets re-invented/becomes available again.

Supporting new55: I'll do that when they have a good product to sell. Prior to that, no.

And it's not like someone else couldn't also put together an effort to resurrect color instant/pack film, so I'd say it's hardly imperative to support this kickstarter.

-Ed

Degroto
5-Nov-2016, 11:18
If there is someone with a couple of million on the bank account sure. Other than that I would bet on it :-). But it is your good right not to support it. With the New55 Color negative there is nothing to reclaim. As far as I know it does not need to be fixed. But why would you want to wait untill all the FP100c is gone begore starting to make a new version of packfilm? Isn't it smarter to start working on a replacement now so by the time the FP material is gone the replacement film will be as good as FP100c is now? Short term thinking.

EdSawyer
5-Nov-2016, 11:27
Those are valid points, I agree the time to start is now. But in the meantime, I will continue to use FP100c as long as possible (since not only is it available, cheaper, and a better material, but I already have a body of work using it) so maybe when that is gone, new55 color might be ready.

Degroto
5-Nov-2016, 12:06
:-) that's way I said you can do both. But I do understand your points as well. You can only spend your dollar/euro/pound once.

Degroto
10-Nov-2016, 02:25
One more week to gather the remaining 310.000 dollars. It seem people are not to keen on 4x5 colorfilm or a possible future for packfilm...too bad

lharby
10-Nov-2016, 03:33
This is now it went for B/W New 55
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bePAf9jpga4/WAut1kO-KSI/AAAAAAAADYk/Tns6Dbcy6kMPmikmT5TGuhTxXjtol3QIQCLcB/s1600/OldKick.tiff

Nearly $350K from other sources.

I hope that happens again, as based on kickstarter pledges alone it won't happen.

Degroto
10-Nov-2016, 03:52
External refers mean that those pledgers came to the kickstarterproject through other means than the kickstarterlink provided by kickstarter. But the whole amount was gathered through pledges of the kickstarter project.

Mrportr8
10-Nov-2016, 14:20
I wonder when the kick start phase will end and New 55 PN becomes a marketable product. At $15 a shot there's no way I would become a regular user. To me it would make more sense to concentrate on making the B&W version viable before dabling in color.

Daniel.E
10-Nov-2016, 14:31
5 years perhaps if they reach the goal, maybe less... the whole point of this new kickstarter is to build machines to automate everything and then the prices can come down.

Nicolasllasera
11-Nov-2016, 02:12
If someone wants to know more and has time (around 1 hour) I interviewed Sam Hiser CEO at New55 about the colour Kickstarter.

Link is here:

https://youtu.be/a-0xOtjdGzw

If this is against the rules please excuse my mistake and take it down.

Andrew O'Neill
17-Nov-2016, 20:14
13 hours to go and only about 33% there... not looking good.