PDA

View Full Version : Twenty-One Ways to Improve Your Artwork

tim atherton
5-May-2005, 15:30
Brooks Jensen's Twenty-One Ways to Improve Your Artwork in the pdf for the latest Lenswork:

http://www.lenswork.com/overviewcurrentissue.htm

"awaken the artist within" psycho-mumbo-jumbo or a worth while set of questions to ask yourself...?

Jim Rice
5-May-2005, 16:16
Certainly no shortage of mumbo-jumbo there.

Bruce Watson
5-May-2005, 18:25
Sounds about right to me.

Mark_3632
5-May-2005, 18:45
There is nothing new there that cannot be found in the most rudimentary how to photo guides. I think in this instance Brooks has dropped the ball and it is not up to his usual level. I think the guy has some good insights most of the time(jmo).

On the other hand maybe a little reminder of the basics every now and then is a good thing.

Mark Sawyer
6-May-2005, 22:16
Couldn't comment until it arrived today, and I took it to the Center for Contemplative Photography (bathroom) for a read. Thoughtful, well-written, and well-meant, but other than being briefly thought-provoking and filling a few pages, enjoyably useless.

There's a little exercise I play with such essays; I disagree with everything one hundred percent, but civilly and articulately in my own mind. If one side is as arguably valid as the other, it's all just having fun jumping through mental hoops, (which can still be good mental exercise, I suppose.) I may well put a few quotes from it up on the white board at school as points of discussion (hopefully arguement) with my students, and for that I am grateful to Mr. Jensen.

I did, additionally, enjoy my time of contemplation, and came away quite relieved. For that, Lenswork can be proud indeed...

Mark Sawyer
10-May-2005, 19:09
So anyways... There I was this morning back in the Center for Contemplative Photography, taking a shower and mulling over Brooks Jensen's "Twenty-One Ways to Improve Your Artwork," and I couldn't help singing (badly) to an old Paul Simon tune...

The problem is all inside your head, Brooks said to me,

The answer is easy if you take it logically,

Lenswork can help you with your bad photography,

There must be twenty-one ways to improve your artwork...

(chorus:)

Just study the form, Norm,

Contemplate Minor White, Dwight,

Previsualize the print, Flint,

Would Weston shoot it? I doubt it...

Develop it in amidol, Paul,

Hope a gallery might call,

Send your prints in to Lenswork, Kirk,

And write some psycho-babble about it...

You guys really should talk to the moderator and have me thrown off the forum...