PDA

View Full Version : Dagor77

Curt
4-May-2005, 18:25
Hello,

Has anyone had a problem with an eBay seller called Dagor77? I bought a lens and paid for it just after the bid closed. That was last month. I have since recieved items from all over the country including Canada and still I wait. I emailed and no answer and still I wait. Any similar problems?

Curt

Jim Galli
4-May-2005, 18:46
Never. I wouldn't get too worked up. Whatever the problem is, Andrew would likely drive it to your house once resolved.

Paul_5410
4-May-2005, 18:47
Hello Curt,

I have purchased from the man in the past with nothing but praise for the experience. I do know email may be a bit slow but that was all. I might suggest sending an "Ask the Seller" a question type mail and see if that might help???

Not much help but last I heard he was preping for his annual mountain walk about with a camera or two?

Paul

Joe Smigiel
4-May-2005, 19:18
I've had several eBay transactions with Andrew and would not hesitate in the least to purchase from him. In fact, I have every confidence in him and he is probably at the absolute top of my list of sellers. Good stuff, delivered promptly and he's friendly and helpful with some interesting auctions and descriptions to boot.

As Paul has mentioned, he was preparing to take a trip to the mountains and in the last auction of his I checked, gave the dates when he would be gone along with a caution about shipping goods and the shipments possibly being delayed around that time. He always does this to keep bidders informed, especially on his annual trek to Scotland. You might check the auction description again to see if he has mentioned the timeframe or a trip.

I wouldn't worry about the transaction. Try contacting him again.

David G. Gagnon
4-May-2005, 20:06
I've dealt with him on two ebay transactions, and he came through just fine. There was a slight problem with delivery of an 8x10 ground glass--he said it broke during being packed up, and at the time he didn't have any others to replace it with, to please bear with him while he had some more made.
After about another week, when my package arrived from him, it not only had one ground glass, but two. He said it was for my having to wait the extra time. What a guy!

I'd definitely be patient with him. He's honest, and one of the best sellers on ebay, IMO. Definitely the best description writer out there, although the jury's still out on his use of the Barbie dolls "modeling" the Artar lenses. ;-)

DG

neil poulsen
4-May-2005, 20:08
I had a question on a lens he was selling. He said something about being gone for two weeks. He sells so many items, it's probably hard to coordinate some items with travel.

Jon Wilson
4-May-2005, 20:10
You will have no problem with Andy. Keep the faith and email him. He is a true gentleman and at worst it may be an oversight on his part not having shipped the item out when getting ready for his fishing trip. I have purchased numerous items, both on and off ebay from him, and have never had a worry.

Capocheny
4-May-2005, 20:15
Curt,

Let me say that you have absolutely NOTHING to worry about!

Dagor77 is one of the most honest sellers on e**y I've ever encountered.

FWIW... there's probably a perfectly reasonable explanation for the delay.

Be patient. He's not going to let you down! :)

Cheers

Curt
4-May-2005, 21:19
Everyone, I just got an email from Andrew aka Dagor77 , who said he shipped the lens yesterday. I've been burned recently, a couple of times, and am a little gun shy. The purchase was so far down the list I figured something was wrong. Maybe it's that most of the people selling are so prompt that if a seller is slow you think somethings wrong.
Thanks, Curt

CP Goerz
4-May-2005, 21:26
I have you down as winning a lens on the 21st April, what lens did you win a month ago? I've searched but haven't found any. Some things do slip through the cracks I must admit, as perfect as I like to think I am I am again reminded I'm not :-) No problem, we'll get it sorted out!

CP Goerz AKA Dagor77.

PS:Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Curt
4-May-2005, 22:10
I want everyone to read my original post, It didn't say 30 days ago, it said last month. And another thing, I was polite in asking "Has anyone had a problem with eBay seller Dagor77?"
It's a simple question, until Mr. Dagor77 got offended. You defended him with great ( ). He is busy and may have gone on a fishing trip....He may be going to the mountains....

I sent him an email and said "Did you ship the lens yet?" Yep C

In his ad:

He said:
"This is a barrel lens, there is no shutter. For mounting information you may want to give this site a visit...www.skgrimes.com. Steve is no longer with us and will be more than just missed. The workshop that he started will be carrying on, the same web address is still valid, It has a lot of handy links and is a good source of information."

SK Grimes said:
Thank you for the inquiry. I do not have any direct experience with this particular lens and would need to examine it in order to determine the appropriate shutter for remounting. Depending on the required shutter, a typical lens remounting ranges in price from 450.00 - 725.00 + s/h. This price includes the right engraved iris scale for your lens and mounting the finished lens and shutter to your lens board. There is an additional charge if a retaining/flange needs to be supplied. The work takes about four to six weeks here in the shop. Other additional items you might consider are a standard receiving filter adapter and custom made lens caps.

Would you pay 3/4 of a grand to mount a process lens in a shutter?

Thanks for sending the lens
Curt

I ask all of you out there one question. Who, execpt the crazy, would mount a process lens of no probable value in a mounting of up to $725.00?

What do you think you could get in a new in a 209 +/-mm for that combined amount?

Sorry I have to cut this short but my plane is leaving for Africa, I'm dirt biking in the Himm's this weekend.
Curt

tim atherton
4-May-2005, 22:44
Curt,

what are blathering about?

"Iask all of you out there one question. Who, execpt the crazy, would mount a process lens of no probable value in a mounting of up to $725.00? "

Is it of no value because it's a process lens or is it actually a worthless process lens? There are a number of process lenses out ther that are close to worth their weight in gold - especially if it's the one lens you need to do the job. For some lenses, there are plenty of folk who will fork over the cost of mounting in a shutter.

BTW - where did Andrew get offended?

David Van Gosen
4-May-2005, 22:51
You got a clean lens that covers 8x10 for $60? That gets the lucky dog award for the month.

No whining from you. Get a Packard shutter or use your hat.

robert_4927
5-May-2005, 05:35
It's obvious Curt has no experience in large format. I have one of those so called old process lenses.......(a blue dot trigor) And I had no problem forking out the bucks to put it in a copal 3. Grimms did a great job and Adam is a gem to deal with. They'll be prying this lens from my fingers when they close the casket. A 60$ lens?......quit crying and use your hat.

Jim_3565
5-May-2005, 06:26
"Iask all of you out there one question. Who, execpt the crazy, would mount a process lens of no probable value in a mounting of up to $725.00? "

I did. I bought a 19" Red Dot Artar in a barrel from Dagor 77 and Steve Grimes mounted it for me in a Copal 3. It may be the best lens I own.

Check Lens & Repro's prices for large format lenses (many of them with significant marks on the glass) before you complain about Andrew. There is no better value to be had on Ebay or anywhere else for that matter.

You'll get little sympathy on this forum badmouthing Dagor 77.

To answer your original question, "Has anyone had a problem with an eBay seller called Dagor77?", I'll say "NO!"

Steve Hamley
5-May-2005, 06:51
I've had no problem with Andrew either, having bought a couple of lenses.

$725 to fabricate adapters (if not a direct fit into the shutter) and the price of a new Copal 3 (if that's what it is) is reasonable. The new Copal #3 alone is almost $500 from S. K. Grimes. I'd say complaints about the mounting price indicates the buyer didn't know what he was getting into, at least as far as shuttering a barrel lens in a new shutter.

Steve

Bill_1856
5-May-2005, 07:16
There's a real good reason that barrel lenses are generally cheap compared to even the oldest and crappiest (but still working) shuttered version.

Donald Hutton
5-May-2005, 08:33
I'm very curious about the "dirtbiking in the Himm's" - Himalayas?? - in which case his geography makes about as much sense as you'd expect from someone who had a problem dealing with Dagor77....

Capocheny
5-May-2005, 23:43
Curt,

Frankly, you should have done your due diligence on the barrel lens prior to bidding on it. OBVIOUSLY, you didn't know what was involved in terms of the cost of mounting the lens... or the alternative methods of controlling exposures.

Yup, we'll "defend" Dagor77 mostly because people have had great experiences dealing with Andrew! He's an honorable guy!

Final analysis? Waste of bandwidth!

Cheers