PDA

View Full Version : Tachihara 4x5 front standard rise/fall markings

atstockland
15-Oct-2016, 09:05
The front standard of a Tachihara 4x5 has markings on it for measuring rise/fall position. In between 0 and 1 there is a "* L". What is this "* L"?156184

Alan Gales
15-Oct-2016, 09:56
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?9385-Marking-on-lens-rise-fall-scale

Heroique
15-Oct-2016, 11:57
The first time I set-up my Tachihara, the "L" puzzled me too – I thought it might stand for "Landscape." ;^)

And once, a Ladybug landed on the front of my lens board, right near the mysterious letter...

I've never been able to dismiss this association, no matter how many times people say "Linhof."

Alan Gales
15-Oct-2016, 12:18
The first time I set-up my Tachihara, the "L" puzzled me too – I thought it might stand for "Landscape." ;^)

And once, a Ladybug landed on the front of my lens board, right near the mysterious letter...

I've never been able to dismiss this association, no matter how many times people say "Linhof."

"L" for ladybug. I like it!

I always liked the Fiel Stand label. :)

neil poulsen
15-Oct-2016, 13:22
I recently purchased one of these locally to sell on EBay and had the same question. So, that satisfies my curiosity as well.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how well made these cameras are. Quite sturdy. As long as one has a suitable lenshood, they're capable of excellent photographs. (It's always easier to sell a good product.:))

Leigh
15-Oct-2016, 15:48
What is this "* L"?156184
How far is it from the 0 mark?

I suspect it's the "zero" position for offset-bored Linhof lensboards.

I believe the Linhof offset is 5mm, but don't quote me. Bob Salomon would know.

- Leigh

Alan Gales
15-Oct-2016, 18:13
How far is it from the 0 mark?

I suspect it's the "zero" position for offset-bored Linhof lensboards.

I believe the Linhof offset is 5mm, but don't quote me. Bob Salomon would know.

- Leigh

Hmmmm! I figured that you would say that the "L" stood for Leigh. ;)

Mark Sampson
15-Oct-2016, 19:15
The Tachi I bought new in 1982 lacked the "L" on the scale. I can't say that the scale was of any use to me, but I liked that camera, and used it hard for ten years.

atstockland
16-Oct-2016, 17:20
I continued digging after posting this and was able to confirm that the Linhof boards are offset a bit and therefor they zero out at a non-standard location compared to other boards. So, the "L", is in fact, for Linhof. Thanks everyone!