PDA

View Full Version : Sekonic L-228?

Jack Reisland
3-May-2005, 10:50
Has anyone out there used the old Sekonic L-228 for LF? Am I correct in understanding that it is not really a 1 degree spot meter, and is this a major set-back?

John Cook
3-May-2005, 11:13
I'm sorry Jack, I'm not familiar with that model.

But Sekonic has an excellent website. Perhaps someone there may have the answer:

http://www.sekonic.com/

Louie Powell
3-May-2005, 12:05
I have an old L-218 that I bought about 25 years ago. When I bought it, the dealer was very reluctant to sell it because it was so old at the time. But it has served me faithfully.

The principal downside of meters of that vintage is that they typically used PX625 mercury batteries. The battery in my L218 must be at least 10 years old and still going strong, and I have a couple of spares.

Darin Cozine
3-May-2005, 14:00
I use the l-228 for my LF.

Upsides: Cheap, no more than $50 for a working model. Compact, small compared to the pentax 1-degree or minolta auto-spot, etc.

Downsides: Smallest area of metering is like 3-5 degrees, whatever 300mm equates to. Takes a mercury batery, but you can still find replacements or alternatives. It's a bit slow to take a reading. The needle is not lit, so it could be hard to read in very low light. Also it doesnt have the EV range of more expensive models.

So can you still use it for the Zone System? Absolutely! I've found it to be quite accurate. And while it does not have the pinpoint accuracy of the more expensive models, I have not yet encountered a situation where I need more than the L-228.

disclaimer: i am still learning, and I would consider myself intermediate.

RSS
3-May-2005, 19:23
Mine did great till I dropped it, the best thing was a semi-spot for LF and the wider view in using my crappy folders!

Curt
4-May-2005, 01:44
That hit me when I saw L-228, as I have had mine since new in 1975. I used it for the Zone system, used it at Brooks, Used it at Art Center and used it until I found the Fred Picker Sol color comp modified model, which is 1 degree. I use the spot meter exclusively now but the Sekonic is still in me case, just in case. It is always accurate and the battery last so long I check it for leaks and now keep it out of the meter. It's a gem and if you take care of it, don't drop it, it will last a long time. Great for outdoor work. It's range prohibits dark light thought. For the money it's a lightweight second. I carried a small gray card and the L228 everywhere.
Good luck,
Curt

Martin Young
11-Jun-2005, 19:54
Hello to all L228 fans.
I've got one but it went dead. I suppose the batteries are at fault.
Can anyone identify a battery that will make this marvelous unit work--and lead me to a source of supply?
Hope so. It's too good a meter to be sitting on a shelf.
Thanks in advance,

Martin

Bob Tuttle
4-Feb-2006, 16:28
I just acquired a Sekonic L-228 and after some research discovered the 2 PX-13 batteries will work. Varta has a model also but I forgot the number. Also got a PDF manual from Butkus.org.

vipulmalhotra
26-Feb-2010, 03:56
But Sekonic has an excellent website. Perhaps someone there may have the answer:
http://www.omrhome.com

Walter Foscari
26-Feb-2010, 18:45
I've been using one of these guys for years now. It's so good that most of the time the pentax sits at home. The modern replacement for those mercury batteries is the Wein Cell MRB625. Easily available on the evil bay.

W

ic-racer
27-Feb-2010, 07:48
You can buy handfulls of zinc #675 hearing aid batteries at many pharmacy stores. The little ring on the Wein cell comes off and can be reused on the 675.

BTW I'm also a Sekonic 'semi spot' user, but I have the L206 that I have used for many years. It is still my favorite.

Brian Stein
28-Feb-2010, 19:52
BTW I'm also a Sekonic 'semi spot' user, but I have the L206 that I have used for many years. It is still my favorite.

OT, but just looked at this: looks like it should be a reliable well made version of the Sverlovsk 4 which I use for backpacking when Im in the mingy gram counts/volume counts mood.

For the mercury cell there is always the option of an adaptor thingy eg http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_mr9_adapter.htm (there is also a DIY instruction somewhere in the webverse http://www.buhla.de/Foto/batt-adapt-US.pdf ). I bought a similar one for an OM1 I had and it worked very well. [Yes, for GBP27 you can buy a lot of little batteries...but in very dry places like here they barely last a couple of months]