PDA

View Full Version : any photos of Packard shutter hose through bellows, plus...

Liquid Artist
9-Oct-2016, 02:08
I will be installing a packard shutter into my century 8x10 soon and it looks like I will have to run the hose through the bellows.
A quick google search doesn't really show much.

So I am hoping that someone can post a photo of a clean install to give me some ideas.

Plus I am also wondering if anyone has actually ordered a new bellows with the hole already in.

Thanks
Stu

brucetaylor
9-Oct-2016, 03:47
I have never seen a hose mounted through the bellows, sounds like trouble. The standard set-up is too run the hose through the lens board. There are even nifty fittings made to do just that: take a look at www.packardshutter.com and scroll to the the bottom of the page.

LabRat
9-Oct-2016, 05:49
I agree with Bruce... Trouble will come from excess flexing of hose & bellows... Many old studio cameras have an air tube fitting on the FS, but the lens board can have a 2nd hose inside that can connect to the inner fitting and shutter... A piece of brass tube can be the fitting connection, or something from the plumbing dept. of a good hardware store, or fuel line or vacuum fitting from auto parts...

Steve K

Jac@stafford.net
9-Oct-2016, 07:25
I cannot visualize how one cannot put the hose through the lensboard, and I have a Century 1 right in front of me.

It is easiest to just buy an original Packard part (http://glennview.com/jpgs/lens/shutter/packard/throughtube/big_1.jpg). An alternative is to stop by a bicycle shop and buy a Presta tire valve with removable core (and remove the core). They are a common part. Keep in mind that the through-piece need not be airtight to the lensboard, just a snug fit to the hose, and as Steve K mentioned, another hose inside the camera to bend and connect the out to the inside (http://www.ludwar.net/science/lrg_camera/shutter_back.jpg) is very common.

glenview.com has all the bits including the connector shown above. (The pic is from his site). Or get it directly from packardshutter.com Metal Fitting for Tubing and only about $13.

cowanw
9-Oct-2016, 09:08
I thought of a brass grommet through the bellows, which would protect the edges of the bellows somewhat and provide a hole for either a close fitting hose + black silicone or a inside and outside screw fitting with a hose fitting in and out.

Alan Gales
9-Oct-2016, 10:48
Here is a Youtube video of a Packard Shutter in use. Notice that the hose goes to the front standard and not a lens board. What you can't see is there is a brass or nickel plated fitting that is installed in the front standard that the hose attaches to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX0vjt_yAQ8

You do not want to run the hose through the bellows. That would be a mistake.

Alan Gales
9-Oct-2016, 10:58
I don't know much about Packard Shutters but if I wanted information or hose fittings the first person I think of is Jim Galli here on the forum. You might send him a personal message. Jim is a great guy and would be happy to help you if he can.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/member.php?1545-Jim-Galli

Jon Shiu
9-Oct-2016, 11:33
If the shutter is mounted on the back of the lens board, then go through the lower part of the lens board. If the shutter is mounted inside the camera on a board, you would go through the lower part of the front standard. You can use a tube fitting or just pull the tube through a hole.

Jac@stafford.net
9-Oct-2016, 14:35
If the shutter is mounted on the back of the lens board, then go through the lower part of the lens board. If the shutter is mounted inside the camera on a board, you would go through the lower part of the front standard. You can use a tube fitting or just pull the tube through a hole.

I wonder if we have a confusion of camera models, Jon and others.

The century 1 is a lightweight field camera. Studio cameras are far different. I have both.

If one has a 9A-like studio camera, then mounting a Packard to the camera behind the lens board is the preferred build because it makes it convient to use different lenses by simply switching lens board and lens. The shutter stays in place. I think it would be way too difficult to do the same with a Century 1 or clone because the Century 1 and clones have not enough structure, or 'meat' to make it so.

Alan Gales
9-Oct-2016, 15:42
Scroll down just a hair and you will see a Century 8x10 with Packard Shutter installed. You will also see the fitting for the air hose.

http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/century/cent1.htm

Randy
11-Oct-2016, 12:36
Stu, I have a F&S 8X10 camera with Packard mounted inside the front standard via alignment pins and magnets so it can be easily removed. I ran the hose through the bellows in the first pleat (poked a hole with a large nail) right below the shutter hose connector. I made the hole a tad smaller then the black rubber hose so that the hose would seal up the hole once inserted. I really didn't want to do it that way because only a complete idiot would poke a hole in a perfectly good 80 year old bellows, but I did it probably 20 years ago and it has worked fine. The reason I could not run the hose through the lens-board was because I used a shutter the same size as my lens-board to accommodate my large lens (B&L 1C 11X14 Tessar).

Jon Shiu
11-Oct-2016, 15:04
Stu, I have a F&S 8X10 camera with Packard mounted inside the front standard via alignment pins and magnets so it can be easily removed. I ran the hose through the bellows in the first pleat (poked a hole with a large nail) right below the shutter hose connector. I made the hole a tad smaller then the black rubber hose so that the hose would seal up the hole once inserted. I really didn't want to do it that way because only a complete idiot would poke a hole in a perfectly good 80 year old bellows, but I did it probably 20 years ago and it has worked fine. The reason I could not run the hose through the lens-board was because I used a shutter the same size as my lens-board to accommodate my large lens (B&L 1C 11X14 Tessar).

Sometimes you see a corner mounting hole in the shutter drilled out to fit an air tube fitting if there is not any free space on the lens board.

Jac@stafford.net
11-Oct-2016, 15:17
Sometimes you see a corner mounting hole in the shutter drilled out to fit an air tube fitting if there is not any free space on the lens board.

Excellent observation!

Jim Andrada
12-Oct-2016, 18:05
My 5 x 7 Agfa-Ansco has a Packard shutter mounted to the back of the front standard with a small brass tube going though a hole in the lower part of the standard. I think it's about the most common way of mounting the shutters inside the camera. I've had to make top hat lens boards to accommodate large modern lenses and prevent the rear elements from interfering with the shutter. But it's all wood - very easy to make and very easy to patch if one F---s up.

The skill of woodworking lies in continuous recovery from one's most recent F-up!