PDA

View Full Version : Copal Sinar Norma stuck open

jimsinar
8-Oct-2016, 18:16
I have a Sinar Norma shutter (the old green one) and the shutter is stuck with the leaves in the open position. I have the original release cable, but when pressed nothing happens.

Are there any tips and tricks on getting the shutter back in to working condition? I have searched for repair manuals, but can't seem to find anything useful.

Leigh
8-Oct-2016, 18:29
Is the preview lever activated?

Is the shutter set on Time and fired?

- Leigh

jimsinar
9-Oct-2016, 03:07
Is the preview lever activated?

Is the shutter set on Time and fired?

- Leigh

Hello Leigh, thanks for replying. Yes the lever is activated and the shutter is fired.

Leigh
9-Oct-2016, 03:24
Hello Leigh, thanks for replying. Yes the lever is activated and the shutter is fired.
I'm afraid I don't understand that response.

If the preview lever is "activated", it's holding the shutter blades open.
It needs to be released to close the shutter.

If the shutter has been fired with the speed selector at Time, it must be fired again to close the shutter.

- Leigh

jimsinar
9-Oct-2016, 05:13
I'm afraid I don't understand that response.

If the preview lever is "activated", it's holding the shutter blades open.
It needs to be released to close the shutter.

If the shutter has been fired with the speed selector at Time, it must be fired again to close the shutter.

- Leigh

I'm sorry English is not my first language. I'll try to explain.

The red lever is up and the shutter release has been pressed (which locked the the shutter in open, even though the lever is up).
If I try to push the release cable I get a springy resistance when pushed all the way.

W K Longcor
9-Oct-2016, 07:16
I am not sure about the older green shutter, but my new one has a connecting cable attached to the rear standard which keeps the shutter open for focusing, and closes it automatically when a film holder is inserted. if this cable is not properly installed, the shutter will not close. perhaps this may be your problem?

jimsinar
10-Oct-2016, 08:07
I am not sure about the older green shutter, but my new one has a connecting cable attached to the rear standard which keeps the shutter open for focusing, and closes it automatically when a film holder is inserted. if this cable is not properly installed, the shutter will not close. perhaps this may be your problem?
Thank you for replying.
I have not used the cable from for the self closer.

Ken Lee
10-Oct-2016, 09:16
Make sure the aperture dial is set to the widest setting.

Leonard Robertson
10-Oct-2016, 17:19
It may not help you since these pictures are of the newer Sinar Copal shutter but this gentleman has a series of interior pictures of the shutter:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jones-ben/sets/72157626113820180/

Even if you don't want to try repairing the shutter yourself, these pictures may help you visualize what is going on inside your shutter.

I have had leaf shutters mounted in lenses which would stick open when fired on the lowest speeds (due to the slow speed mechanism needing cleaning). Moving the shutter speed dial back to faster speeds would often allow the shutter blades to close. However I have no idea if it is safe to change speeds on your Sinar shutter with the blades in the open position. It may lead to bending or damaging something. If you try this, go slowly and don't force the speed lever.

Len

Daniel Unkefer
10-Oct-2016, 17:26
I have three Green Norma Shutters, and one I have had CLAed by a local repairman. He commented to me on how nicely designed it is. He said the movements are jeweled like a fine Swiss watch.

Any repairmen is your area?

jimsinar
11-Oct-2016, 22:37
I have three Green Norma Shutters, and one I have had CLAed by a local repairman. He commented to me on how nicely designed it is. He said the movements are jeweled like a fine Swiss watch.

Any repairmen is your area?

No repairman unfortunately.

How safe is it to open the shutter up to have a look? Can I ruin it just by removing the front?

Daniel Unkefer
12-Oct-2016, 02:35
No repairman unfortunately.

How safe is it to open the shutter up to have a look? Can I ruin it just by removing the front?

This I don't know. Shutters I send out for repair when they need work.

With my Norma Shutters, when in push in the red tab, the shutter pops open, to view the image through the camera. To take a photograph, you close the blades, by lifting the red lever, until it closes the blades completely. Then the shutter is ready to fire. The Norma shutter does not have an aperture control mechanism. If your shutter stays open when you try to lift the red lever, it needs to be serviced.

Hope this helps!

jimsinar
12-Oct-2016, 08:31
If your shutter stays open when you try to lift the red lever, it needs to be serviced.

Hope this helps!

It does stay open when I lift the lever and the lever snaps back when I release it, like there is tension on it.

Can anyone tell me if it relatively safe to open it up to have look.

Leigh
12-Oct-2016, 14:28
Any repairmen is your area?No repairman unfortunately.
It would help a whole lot if we knew where you are located ? ? ?

- Leigh

Daniel Unkefer
12-Oct-2016, 19:50
Go Back and look at this. Make sure and read all the comments.
This is a Norma Green Shutter

Daniel Unkefer
12-Oct-2016, 19:53

I googled and this place repairs Sinar Shutters: http://northwestcamera.com/sinar-repair/

jimsinar
12-Oct-2016, 22:31
It would help a whole lot if we knew where you are located ? ? ?

- Leigh

I'm in Denmark.

Leigh
12-Oct-2016, 23:01
I'm in Denmark.
OK.

I was going to offer to look at it, since I used to repair Copal shutters, but that's a bit far to send it.

- Leigh

jimsinar
13-Oct-2016, 01:37
OK.

I was going to offer to look at it, since I used to repair Copal shutters, but that's a bit far to send it.

- Leigh

Thank you for the nice thought.

jimsinar
14-Oct-2016, 01:52

Thank you for the pictures. I guess i will try and open it up and see if anything can be fixed by a drop of lube.

Does anyone know if there is a repair manuel i can download or buy?

Daniel Unkefer
15-Oct-2016, 11:14
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?40730-Sinar-Shutter-on-Field-Camera/page8

There are some pages from the Norma Shutter Repair Manual in this thread. ^^^^

Steven Tribe
16-Oct-2016, 00:52
Where in Denmark?

Note my location!

jimsinar
16-Oct-2016, 04:38
Where in Denmark?

Note my location!

Copenhagen

Steven Tribe
16-Oct-2016, 05:11
I can have a look at it, after mutual agreement. I am 2680 - so not far away!

Stephen Thomason
16-Oct-2016, 16:58
It does stay open when I lift the lever and the lever snaps back when I release it, like there is tension on it.

Can anyone tell me if it relatively safe to open it up to have look.

Yes, take it apart and take a look. Only four screws to open it up. Clean it by flushing with denatured alcohol, holding the assembly so that the alcohol will drain off. DO NOT INVERT IT. If I remember correctly, there is a coil spring that will fall off its post and you will spend some time figuring out where it goes! Plenty of pictures on the web that will help you if it does fall off. It's not rocket science, just be careful. You will figure out how it works, why it is not working, and then you can fix it. It will take a while, but it is very doable.

You can also make your own springs if one is broken - a web search will show you how.

Liquid Artist
17-Oct-2016, 22:56
Personally I would take Steve up on his generous offer. I screwed up one shutter taking it apart. Thankfully it was a spare that needed a CLA.

Leigh
17-Oct-2016, 23:11
You can also make your own springs if one is broken - a web search will show you how.
Springs are some of the most complex mechanical designs in existence.

If you expect the shutter to work properly, I strongly suggest you refrain from making replacements.
Using the proper original is the only way to ensure that the shutter will function as designed.

- Leigh

Stephen Thomason
18-Oct-2016, 11:17
Leigh is quite correct if the spring is used for timing. I have only wound springs that are not involved in the timing process, only in holding levers in position. Of course, they have to be somewhat close to the spring rates of the originals, but so far none have adversely affected shutter speeds.

Speaking of shutter speeds, I will report on my experience with the $20 photo diode in a four conductor mini plug used with the iPhone. It is available on eBay from a European seller: it works and is convenient. Now my o-scope feels rejected and sits mostly unused and lonely!