PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Copal Shutter Cable Release Alternatives (and self cocking cable alternatives)

Dustyman
8-Oct-2016, 10:21
I am awaiting shipment of a Sinar Copal Auto Aperture Shutter which I will be using with barrel lenses. It will be arriving with just the short release button, but I will require a long release. What alternatives to the OEM Sinar cable release work work successfully?

Second question. I am aware they made a cable that auto cocks the shutter upon loading the film holder. How long was this cable? I am wondering if it will work with tight portraits on 8x10.
Has anyone made a DIY version that works?

RSalles
8-Oct-2016, 15:29
Dustyman,

Not that I'm aware of for both of your questions.
For the second one, it will work probably with very long belows extensions, looking to it if I remember well it's nearby 70cm, so you guess what belows draw will cover,

Cheers,

Renato

Greg
8-Oct-2016, 16:15
2 releases attach to a Sinar Shutter

521.50 (old x1210) Automatic cable This cable attached to the film back and closes the shutter automatically when a film holder in pushed in and opens the shutter when the film holder is removed. It has a relatively short throw.

521-61 (old x1202) Cable release. This one has the long throw. This shutter release cable is one of the hardest Sinar parts to find and goes for premium money if you can even find one. The screw end that screws into the shutter is not conical like normal shutter releases.

"What alternatives to the OEM Sinar cable release work work successfully?" I have never found another cable release that has a throw long enough to work with a Sinar shutter, and I've tried to find one (to be my spare) for years without luck. I once read that the threads on the short shutter releases for the Copal shutters that were used on a Polaroid MP-4 are interchangeable with the threads in a Sinar shutter - THEY ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE, the Polaroid is a fraction of a mm smaller in diameter than the Sinar shutter cord, most would need to use a micrometer to measure the difference.

Alan Gales
8-Oct-2016, 16:28
I always recommend to people that if they buy a Sinar shutter to make sure the priority cable release comes with it.

Greg is right. The long throw shutter releases are harder to find then hens teeth and if you do find one, they want your first born for them.

I have never heard of an alternative either but if there is an alternative then someone on this forum would know.

You may need to buy an additional shutter with the cables included and keep the one you have as a spare.

Greg
8-Oct-2016, 16:41
I always recommend to people that if they buy a Sinar shutter to make sure the priority cable release comes with it.

Greg is right. The long throw shutter releases are harder to find then hens teeth and if you do find one, they want your first born for them.

I have never heard of an alternative either but if there is an alternative then someone on this forum would know.

You may need to buy an additional shutter with the cables included and keep the one you have as a spare.

Before I found a shutter cord for my Sinar shutter (came with an un-repariable broken Sinar shutter I won at auction), I had considered having a jeweler craftsperson who worked in metals on the macro basis micro-weld? extensions to both ends of a shutter. Threaded end a machinist friend could have made for me. One thing to remember is that the shutter cord REALLY extends far into the Sinar shutter. Fortunately I found that cord. Broken shutter unfortunately (per sent to KEH for repair) had been in a flood and totally corroded inside.

Alan Gales
8-Oct-2016, 21:10
Before I found a shutter cord for my Sinar shutter (came with an un-repariable broken Sinar shutter I won at auction), I had considered having a jeweler craftsperson who worked in metals on the macro basis micro-weld? extensions to both ends of a shutter. Threaded end a machinist friend could have made for me. One thing to remember is that the shutter cord REALLY extends far into the Sinar shutter. Fortunately I found that cord. Broken shutter unfortunately (per sent to KEH for repair) had been in a flood and totally corroded inside.

That's a shame about your shutter. I couldn't live with myself if I sold someone junk like that.

Dustyman
10-Oct-2016, 06:33
Thanks to all who replied. I just ended up biting the bullet and bought an original cable on Ebay.

With respect to the shutter cocking cable, anybody attempt to rig one? It looks like it has the same thread/pin configuration on both ends. Is it the same type of thread as the original release cable? Any additional insights about the design and construction of this cable would be very helpful. I would like one long enough to cover a fully extended 8x10 bellows.

Steven Tribe
10-Oct-2016, 11:24
Sorry a bit late!

There is a previous long thread on this and alternatives are/were available on ebay.
I made a quick, very basic, alternative as a spare when travelling with my Sinar Copal. This is made from three pieces:

- an outer sleeve. a section of copper based automotive brake tube with a male 4m /70 metric thread cut into the end.
- a hollow hobby brass tube than slides through the centre.
- a long thin steel nail that fits into the pressure end of the actuating brass rod to add extra stiffness.

The normal cable will automatically spring back due to an internal cable spring. The Copal Shutter, in itself, has quite a strong returning spring. The reduced combined return spring effect is offset by the lack of friction in the long and curved normal cable.

Daniel Unkefer
10-Oct-2016, 17:08
Hello All,

There is also this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Release-Button-For-SINAR-AUTO-APERTURE-SHUTTER-New-Camera-Accessory-/111988505354?hash=item1a1308fb0a:g:dQ0AAOSwiLdV7qS6

I bought one and it works just fine with my three Green Norma Shutters. And I also use it with my Plaubel Makiflexes. The Auto Cable I also have three or four around. By memory it's about 2 meters long. Sinar made a longer one, but I have never been able to find one in thirty years. Again by memory, it may have been a connector that put two of the shorter cables together.

Cor
11-Oct-2016, 00:04
Interesting alternative, it looks quite solid, drawback off course is that your camera is quite solidly secured on a heavy tripod to avoid camera shake when pressing the very short shutter release!

best,

Cor

Hello All,

There is also this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Release-Button-For-SINAR-AUTO-APERTURE-SHUTTER-New-Camera-Accessory-/111988505354?hash=item1a1308fb0a:g:dQ0AAOSwiLdV7qS6

I bought one and it works just fine with my three Green Norma Shutters. And I also use it with my Plaubel Makiflexes. The Auto Cable I also have three or four around. By memory it's about 2 meters long. Sinar made a longer one, but I have never been able to find one in thirty years. Again by memory, it may have been a connector that put two of the shorter cables together.

Steven Tribe
11-Oct-2016, 01:40
Remember, my quick alternative is only made as a back-up if the standard copal sinar cable is misplaced. With a short length, you stand by the front standard and use the free arm to act as a brace. The standard cable release (By design!) resists coiling and is a b....r to transport.

Jtiebel
18-Jan-2024, 03:15
Dear Large Format Community,

I'm not typically very active in forums, but this discussion, among others, inspired me back then to pragmatically develop a cable release for the Sinar DB Copal Shutter on my own. Perhaps my do-it-yourself guide for constructing a Sinar cable release (https://jakob-tiebel.com/diy-construction-of-a-sinar-db-automatic-copal-shutter-cable-release/) may serve as a helpful guide for those seeking assistance in the future.

245683 245684

https://jakob-tiebel.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/Sequenz-01_1.mp4

If there are any questions about the development or if support is needed for the DIY construction, I am more than willing to help here in the forum or via email. I've subscribed to this discussion, so I'll be notified if anything new comes up.

Additionally, I'm currently working on a DIY solution for a variable-length connection between the DB shutter and the film standard. I'm open to ideas and suggestions in this regard, and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Jakob Tiebel

Darryl Baird
12-Mar-2024, 15:17
Old thread, I know, but I'm looking for a more reliable cable release than my original Sinar.
It's grown rather cranky and only fires at a certain angle and distance.
This stubby one from China looks like it would work, despite having to potentially push against the frame. I don't know if I can squeeze down enough by holding the flared bit below, so gently pressing seems required.
Anyone using one of these?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/125061276608?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true.

Thanks,
Darryl

domaz
12-Mar-2024, 15:26
I don't see how you could use one of those and not jostle the camera. It might be better to spend a bit more lunch money on the Silvestri Camera replacement (https://www.silvestricamerashop.it/shop/en/all-products/25-cable-release-for-sinar-manual-shutter-70-cm.html). It sounds promising but I haven't pulled the trigger yet myself.

Phil Hudson
15-Mar-2024, 00:38
This one works perfectly:

Silvestri Cable release 70 cm long, specifically designed to trigger Sinar manual shutters. It has a long throw ( 5 centimeters) and the screw end that screws into the shutter is not conical like normal shutter releases.
(Alternative to Sinar product code 521-61 old x1202). Made in EU.
code CR4870

j.e.simmons
15-Mar-2024, 03:06
I have both. I worry about the stubby one jostling the camera, too, though I'm careful and haven't seen evidence of a problem. The Silvestri works well except the tip does not rotate independently like the Sinar. You have to twist the entire cable release to screw it into the camera. Again, its just something to be careful with.

Philippe Grunchec
15-Mar-2024, 04:35
The ones I have come from:
https://gebr-schreck.com/alle-produkte/
http://https://gebr-schreck.com/alle-produkte/

Daniel Unkefer
15-Mar-2024, 05:18
The Modern Black Sinar Shutter Release also fits the Olde Norma Shutters. I have one and it is much smoother to operate than the Norma ones. George Brown recommended I get one, an excellent suggestion. Sinar Norma made a Bulb Release for the Norma Shutter, it's in the catalog, I have never seen one anywhere. I've also never seen a long cable for Shutter to Rear Standard, I think they offered a connector to put two of the cables together.

My repairmen tell me you can trip the Norma Shutter with a jewelers screwdriver.

domaz
15-Mar-2024, 10:34
The Modern Black Sinar Shutter Release also fits the Olde Norma Shutters. I have one and it is much smoother to operate than the Norma ones. George Brown recommended I get one, an excellent suggestion. Sinar Norma made a Bulb Release for the Norma Shutter, it's in the catalog, I have never seen one anywhere. I've also never seen a long cable for Shutter to Rear Standard, I think they offered a connector to put two of the cables together.

My repairmen tell me you can trip the Norma Shutter with a jewelers screwdriver.

I always found a bamboo skewer works perfectly and seems pretty safe since wood is softer than metal.

domaz
15-Mar-2024, 10:41
This one works perfectly:

Silvestri Cable release 70 cm long, specifically designed to trigger Sinar manual shutters. It has a long throw ( 5 centimeters) and the screw end that screws into the shutter is not conical like normal shutter releases.
(Alternative to Sinar product code 521-61 old x1202). Made in EU.
code CR4870

Thanks for confirming! I was on the fence about ordering one without finding any reviews.