PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with 4x5 Mentor Reflex camera WTD

Greg
5-Oct-2016, 16:02
Have a great brass Darlot Petzval lens that I use on my 4x5 Sinar Norma with a Sinar copal shutter. Rig is bulky and movements not needed. Have been looking at the Arca-Swiss 4x5 reflex but then came across a Mentor 4x5 reflex camera (unfortunately NFS). The camera seems to be actually have more shutter options than the Arca-Swiss reflex camera. Is this camera worth pursuing?

Dan Fromm
5-Oct-2016, 18:06
http://www.galerie-photo.com/reflex-moyen-grand-format.html#MENTOR_REFLEX_

Note that Mentor's use their own film holders. Also note that there were several versions. Asking for advice about Mentor Reflexes in general will get a lot of info, also misinformation, that's not relevant to whatever you have in mind.

Not to direct you, but why won't a 4x5 Graflex do?

Steven Tribe
6-Oct-2016, 01:46
I have an early Reflex Mentor (Early 20's) which is 13x18". The focal plane shutter doesn't work and few still do! There are no instruction/repair diagrams available and the mechanism (double curtain) was obviously only designed to work for a decade or so! The aluminium angle pieces joining the front standard to the base are also a problem and are best changed for something a little more solid.

Dan Fromm
6-Oct-2016, 05:13
You don't want a Mentor, you want a Stud. http://www.ebay.fr/itm/CHAMBRE-PHOTO-REFLEX-STUD-9-x-12-6-x-9-BERTHIOT-5-7-300-HERMAGIS-6-8-310-/351865325309

Greg
6-Oct-2016, 05:36
http://www.galerie-photo.com/reflex-moyen-grand-format.html#MENTOR_REFLEX_

Note that Mentor's use their own film holders. Also note that there were several versions. Asking for advice about Mentor Reflexes in general will get a lot of info, also misinformation, that's not relevant to whatever you have in mind.

Not to direct you, but why won't a 4x5 Graflex do?

Have had two bad experiences with purchasing a 4x5 Graflex. Both advertised as being in excellent condition and working.... one was not working (I believe the seller assumed the camera was working) and the other a basket case. Still open to a 4x5 Graflex but only via a local hands-on transaction. Know of one locally in excellent cosmetic and working condition but NFS at this time. If and when put up for sale will jump at buying it.

EdSawyer
6-Oct-2016, 12:22
What's local to you? The Graflexes are simpler than the Arca and others, but not as sophisticated or lightweight. the Stud thing looks like a beast! No hand-holding that at all.

how long is the petzval? Might be able to adapt to a speed graphic and calibrate the rangefinder? that could be an option, depending on focal length.

We've talked before but the Arca can go from B to 1/500 and anywhere (mostly) in between. Faster than 1/500 would be rare in real life, with any 4x5 FP camera, even those marked as faster (Graflex, others maybe) probably aren't actually as fast as claimed.

Greg
6-Oct-2016, 15:14
Local is less than an hours drive from home. Trouble is that I know of a near mint 4x5 Graflex that is all of a 3 minute drive from home. NFS at this time but possibly in the future.

Petzval is a Darlot 7" f/3.1. Bought it at the big auction site. Was located overseas, picture of it was terrible, the seller knew nothing about photography, lens wasn't listed as a "Brass" lens, no returns allowed, and his feedback was all of a 2 or 3. No one else bidded on the lens. I took a real chance against my better will. When it finally arrived, it came with a full set of metal waterhouse stops, glass exc.+, and upon taking it apart turned out to be a Petzval. I came out ahead on this one but will never take another gamble like that again.

Kind of hooked on an Arca-Swiss SLR cause I have used Arca-Swiss equipment many years ago and loved it. I even adapted an Arca-Swiss reflex viewfinder to use on my Sinar Norma. It's way less bulky than Sinar's binocular viewfinder.

Will look into speed graphic but yesterday evening mounted the Darlot (via adapter) on a Sinar shutter and then on to my Chamonix 4x5 (via another adapter) with Chamonix reflex viewer on back. I essentially have a kind of like Speed Graphic already, all be it with a heavy front end. Had to adapt a support that screws into the front hole of the camera's bed to support the lens and shutter. Also top speed of 1/60 will require use of a ND filter most of the time. Whole system is actually a lot less bulky than the Darlot on the 4x5 Sinar Norma.

pierre506
6-Oct-2016, 15:55
Most Mentors only provide very slow curtain speed for your wide-open petzval shootings. So they are not good for you.

通过我的 VIE-AL10 上的 Tapatalk发言

EdSawyer
7-Oct-2016, 07:16
When I asked about Local I meant where are you located? I have a mint Graflex RB SuperD 4x5, also the Arca reflex 4x5 and a couple speed graphics. If we were local you could try out those combos.

Agreed, the Arca is probably the best of the 4x5 SLRs that I have tried, though it is a bit finicky sometimes, and if not in good shape, the shutter is I think more complex to service than a graflex shutter. I spent a fair bit of time getting mine to run correctly, but now it runs great at all speeds.

The biggest issue you are going to run into is flange-focal distance with that lens. 8" is about the minimum length lens you can get to work with a 4x5 SLR and still get anything close to infinity for focus distance. As an example, I mounted an Aero Ektar (178mm) on the Arca Reflex and the maximum focus distance is about 6ft. Any further away and the mirror will hit the lens. Unless your petzval has a longer-than-normal FFD I think you will find the SLR option limiting at best.

The speed Graphic is probably your best bet, esp. if you want to do hand-holding. You can build a brace that supports the front of the lens, and engages in the tracks of the speed graphic - it's an elegant solution. (sometimes these things are called a "chinaman" - not sure why).

Nice score on the petzval, btw!

-Ed

Greg
7-Oct-2016, 08:08
When I asked about Local I meant where are you located? I have a mint Graflex RB SuperD 4x5, also the Arca reflex 4x5 and a couple speed graphics. If we were local you could try out those combos.

Agreed, the Arca is probably the best of the 4x5 SLRs that I have tried, though it is a bit finicky sometimes, and if not in good shape, the shutter is I think more complex to service than a graflex shutter. I spent a fair bit of time getting mine to run correctly, but now it runs great at all speeds.

The biggest issue you are going to run into is flange-focal distance with that lens. 8" is about the minimum length lens you can get to work with a 4x5 SLR and still get anything close to infinity for focus distance. As an example, I mounted an Aero Ektar (178mm) on the Arca Reflex and the maximum focus distance is about 6ft. Any further away and the mirror will hit the lens. Unless your petzval has a longer-than-normal FFD I think you will find the SLR option limiting at best.

The speed Graphic is probably your best bet, esp. if you want to do hand-holding. You can build a brace that supports the front of the lens, and engages in the tracks of the speed graphic - it's an elegant solution. (sometimes these things are called a "chinaman" - not sure why).

Nice score on the petzval, btw!

-Ed

Ed PM sent. If you don't receive it please PM me.
thanks
Greg