PDA

View Full Version : Revesible vice Rotationg backs?

redfox1524
1-Oct-2016, 20:39
Totally new to LFP.

I have been looking putting a kit together and ran across something that has confused me. I was looking at field cameras, Toyo in particular, and ran across the 45AX and read this about it "the 45AX reversible back can be interchanged with any Toyo deluxe revolving back for added convenience at any time". What is the difference between reversible and rotating back?

I know its a nob question but I'd appreciate the help.

Alan Gales
1-Oct-2016, 21:00
Ok, 4x5 is rectangular so you can shoot it in landscape orientation or portrait orientation. If you are shooting a Toyo 45AX in landscape orientation and wish to switch to portrait orientation you have to remove the back, turn it and reattach it. If you have the revolving back then you flip a switch and then rotate the back without removing it.

The advantage of the reversible back is it costs less and weighs less.

The advantage of the revolving back is that it's a little faster and you don't risk dropping the back when changing orientation.

Welcome to the forum!

Jim Jones
2-Oct-2016, 05:05
The revolving back permits rotating the back to any degree, such as to level the horizon in absence of a tripod that does this. However, it is bulkier and heavier. It is also made of metal or composite. Some photographers prefer the beauty and craftsmanship in wooden cameras. Others make their own cameras, and making a revolving back would be more of a challenge.

ic-racer
2-Oct-2016, 07:15
None of my cameras with revolving backs work at any orientation other than full horizontal or full vertical where it can lock in place. The film opening and the back standard and bellows support need to be lined up for an unobstructed view and there is no way to lock them in the intermediate positions.

Pfsor
2-Oct-2016, 07:21
None of my cameras with revolving backs work at any orientation other than full horizontal or full vertical where it can lock in place. The film opening and the back standard and bellows support need to be lined up for an unobstructed view and there is no way to lock them in the intermediate positions.

I have to agree - the goal of the revolving back is to act as a reversible back, nothing more. Forget about intermediate positions. So much for the revesible ice lion backs...

Tin Can
2-Oct-2016, 07:39
http://piercevaubel.com/cam/images/generalconbellanthonynovel5x8f.jpg

Pfsor
2-Oct-2016, 07:43
http://piercevaubel.com/cam/images/generalconbellanthonynovel5x8f.jpg

A good picture of the revolving action in process. Nothing more than that.

Tin Can
2-Oct-2016, 07:49
A good picture of the revolving action in process. Nothing more than that.

Yes, just a different take.

But I think you are wrong about rotating backs, some had gears and pinion.

My Linhof CAN lock on 2 positions but is also USABLe at any back rotated angle for a variety of reason.

Pfsor
2-Oct-2016, 07:57
Yes, just a different take.

But I think you are wrong about rotating backs, some had gears and pinion.

My Linhof CAN lock on 2 positions but is also USABLe at any back rotated angle for a variety of reason.

I would say so - any revolving back could be used "in extremis" in its intermediate position. After all, you gently put the film holder there and you can take a picture. But there isn't a revolving back specifically done so that you could make up for tripod deficiencies. It would be science against the common sense - like constructing shoes with a thick sole against high water.

Tin Can
2-Oct-2016, 08:09
I would say so - any revolving back could be used "in extremis" in its intermediate position. After all, you gently put the film holder there and you can take a picture. But there isn't a revolving back specifically done so that you could make up for tripod deficiencies. It would be science against the common sense - like constructing shoes with thick sole against high water.

I guess you have never been to Venice Italy. http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/chop/hd_chop.htm

Pfsor
2-Oct-2016, 08:18
I guess you have never been to Venice Italy. http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/chop/hd_chop.htm

As a matter of fact, I was there at least 2 if not 3 times. As an Italian speaker I enjoyed it a lot. Speaking about it, I still remember the Italian guy in a train to Venice who told me the "Venice photography secret" - the best time to visit Venice is the Fall - when it rains Venice is at its best! Always wondered if he was right or not... But surely tourists are not so frequent on its streets when the Fall rains come.

cowanw
2-Oct-2016, 09:44
The studio Deardorff revolving back is able to be tightened to be in any degree rotation chosen.

tgtaylor
2-Oct-2016, 10:23
Totally new to LFP.

I have been looking putting a kit together and ran across something that has confused me. I was looking at field cameras, Toyo in particular, and ran across the 45AX and read this about it "the 45AX reversible back can be interchanged with any Toyo deluxe revolving back for added convenience at any time". What is the difference between reversible and rotating back?

And the difference between the AX and AII is that the AII comes with a reversible back and a folding focusing hood - both of which are accessories on the AX. In addition to the AX I also have the ROBOS which comes with a reversible back so when I want to use a reversible back with the AX I simply swap backs which adds about 1/2 lb to the kit. That's one of the advantages of going with a Toyo system: In addition to quality engineering it's a modular system that allows you to swap components with other Toyo cameras.

The Toyo reversible back will allow you to take portrait, landscape, and all compositions between.

Thomas

Vaughn
2-Oct-2016, 11:04
The revolving back I had on my knock-off of a Deardorff Special (made in India) could be used (and tighten) in any position, 360 degrees -- it was nice for getting the horizon straight without moving the rest of the camera.
It was also nice for quickly trying either hort or vert compositions while still under the darkcloth.

Huub
4-Oct-2016, 04:24
The Toyo reversible back will allow you to take portrait, landscape, and all compositions between. Thomas

When i tried to use mine in intermediate positions it always resulted in clipped corners. Not my idea of how it should work....