PDA

View Full Version : Low-Contrast Paper Developer/non-metol

Mark Sampson
29-Sep-2016, 17:01
I'm getting ready to set up a darkroom in my current home, after almost five years without one. So I'm researching chemistry (as well as papers). In the 80s-90s I would use (long-gone) Selectol-Soft to complement my regular paper developer. Or, later, the Formulary's Ansco 120 substitute (same thing really). But I became sensitized to the metol in those developers, and was treated twice (ten years apart) for contact dermatitis. I have avoided that since 1995, but I don't want that trouble again, needless to say!
So I wonder if anyone knows of a low-contrast paper developer that does not have metol in its ingredients?

LabRat
29-Sep-2016, 17:58
If you make your own developers, you can substitute phenidone for about 1/10th a gram for each gram of metol...

For an off the shelf developer, Clayton P-20 concentrate (phenidone/hydroquinone) is economical and medium to lower contrast depending on dilution, with a slightly bluer/black tone...

Steve K

IanG
30-Sep-2016, 03:34
If you make your own developers, you can substitute phenidone for about 1/10th a gram for each gram of metol...

For an off the shelf developer, Clayton P-20 concentrate (phenidone/hydroquinone) is economical and medium to lower contrast depending on dilution, with a slightly bluer/black tone...

Steve K

Not for a low contrast paper developer, Phenidone gives extremely low contrast on it's own. If the OP doesn't want to use Metol then dilute Rodinal will work, Kodak used Kodenol (p-Aminophenol sulphate or Hydrochloride) in their Metol free developers and sold Kodinol as a film & paper developer in Europer, it was their version of Rodnol and never made or sold in the US. Ilford's equivlaent Certinal was released 1907/8 and weas made into the 1950's.

I have the two Kodak formulae which were published for use by people sensitive to Metol if you can get p-Aminophenol and want to make up your own developers.. The problem of Metol dermatitis isn't from the Mtol itself it's caused by an impurity so it depends which company makes the Metol.

Ian

jnantz
30-Sep-2016, 03:53
i think sprint paper and film developers are metol free,
you'd have to contact them to make sure ...
not sure how low contrast they are though ...

good luck !
john

LabRat
30-Sep-2016, 04:58
Not for a low contrast paper developer, Phenidone gives extremely low contrast on it's own.

Ian

No, meaning that for a MQ replacement with PQ... (ID-78 is also PQ) Not making Tech Pan ultra low contrast developer here... :-)

Steve K

IanG
30-Sep-2016, 05:12
No, meaning that for a MQ replacement with PQ... (ID-78 is also PQ) Not making Tech Pan ultra low contrast developer here... :-)

Steve K

ID-78 is the only print developer I use these days :D

I was thinking of a replacement for Selectol Soft (D165) which is the same as Ilford ID-3 and similar to Adaptol, these are all significantly Softer than Selectol or ant commercial developer from the larger companies.

Ian

LabRat
30-Sep-2016, 05:19
ID-78 is the only print developer I use these days :D

I was thinking of a replacement for Selectol Soft (D165) which is the same as Ilford ID-3 and similar to Adaptol, these are all significantly Softer than Selectol or ant commercial developer from the larger companies.

Ian

Well, metol tends to be slightly colder/blacker than the phenidone when used, and without hydroquinone, they would be too soft in those formulas, I agree...

Steve K