PDA

View Full Version : Epson 2880 died; suggest a replacement?

Ari
27-Sep-2016, 20:12
My R2880 bit the dust, and now I'm looking for its replacement. I don't print large, a 13"-wide printer will do, and I print 75% B&W on Moab Juniper paper, 25% colour on Moab Estrada.
I'm not really up on the latest printers, or even recent printers (is the R3000 worth a look at $400 USD?)

I have the chance to get a local Epson 4880 for a good price, but I'm afraid it's too big, and overkill for what I need.
Still, it's a good printer and I may have to buy it if I can't find anything else in my price range (~$350 USD).

So before making a decision, I'd like to ask the commentariat for some suggestions:
Can you recommend a decent, affordable printer that uses 3 black inks and is of a relatively small desktop size?
It would be nice to have a printer that could use both Matte Black and Photo Black inks, thus saving me lots of time and, um, ink.
I know that would be a little more expensive, but I'd still want to hear about it, in case I decide to splurge.

Thank you in advance.

chuckcars
27-Sep-2016, 20:33
My R2880 bit the dust, and now I'm looking for its replacement. I don't print large, a 13"-wide printer will do, and I print 75% B&W on Moab Juniper paper, 25% colour on Moab Estrada.
I'm not really up on the latest printers, or even recent printers (is the R3000 worth a look at $400 USD?)

I have the chance to get a local Epson 4880 for a good price, but I'm afraid it's too big, and overkill for what I need.
Still, it's a good printer and I may have to buy it if I can't find anything else in my price range (~$350 USD).

So before making a decision, I'd like to ask the commentariat for some suggestions:
Can you recommend a decent, affordable printer that uses 3 black inks and is of a relatively small desktop size?
It would be nice to have a printer that could use both Matte Black and Photo Black inks, thus saving me lots of time and, um, ink.
I know that would be a little more expensive, but I'd still want to hear about it, in case I decide to splurge.

Thank you in advance.

chuckcars
27-Sep-2016, 20:34
Epson P600. The 4880 is being discontinued

Ari
28-Sep-2016, 05:42
Thanks, Chuck, though I'm not too worried about what's current or discontinued.
From what I found online, the R3000 seems to be a good printer, with two switchable Matte/Photo black ink cartridges, and is apparently on a quality level with the 3880.
But if anyone uses a 4880, I'd love to hear from you.

wager123
28-Sep-2016, 14:19
hi ari
I have 3 4880 in the barn that are for parts now . if you don't use them they clog but they are great printers . when the last one died I got a P800 and I love it no clogs and just a great printer.
so I would pass on the 4880 and get a P800.
mitch

faberryman
28-Sep-2016, 14:38
P600 vs. P800: The Epson Value Equation (http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2016/09/p800-vs-p600-the-epson-value-equation.html)

Ari
28-Sep-2016, 14:38
Hi Mitch,
Thank you; I've heard great things about the P800.
I would definitely buy that should I decide to stretch my budget.
Epson is all having a good rebate on them until the 30th of September.

Jim Andrada
28-Sep-2016, 16:40
I've had a 4880 for years. Clog prone is an understatement and I think sometimes I spend more on head cleaning than on printing.

But it is really good when it prints and it has an automatic cut off arrangement for rolls, which the new 800 doesn't have even if you get the roll feed option.

Greg
28-Sep-2016, 17:01
Dan Burkholder recommends the Epson 3880 in his "The New Inkjet Negative Companion". Personally went for the Epson 4900. I taught Digital Photography for years at the Hartford Art School. Their computer labs used 4900s. They survived abuse from students for years. Bit the $$$ bullet and bought an Epson 4900 and haven't looked back... Heads never block up from non use. My Epson 7800's heads would block up if I didn't use on a weekly basis.

Ari
28-Sep-2016, 17:17
Thanks, guys; my 2880 died as a result of clogging, so what Jim says about the 4880 doesn't sound too good.
Yes, I'm an erratic printer, sometimes printing lots, then going weeks without printing.
So would the P800 still be the printer of choice?

Ari
29-Sep-2016, 09:18
Decided to opt for the 4880, in part because I prefer the interface with the computer.
The P800 relies a lot on using the control panel on the printer.
So, I'll have to make sure to keep it running smoothly, because it's in showroom condition, and the price is a bargain.
Thanks for everyone's input.

interneg
29-Sep-2016, 11:30
I've run a 4880 pretty heavily over the last few years - it will clog no matter what you do, but keep an eye on it & run a clean cycle if it does. Back in May I ran it nearly continuously for a week & it still clogged now & then - nothing a clean cycle wouldn't fix though. It can be a very frustrating machine to get sheet baryta paper into - use 17" rolls if you value your sanity.

Otherwise it's pretty competent.

Ari
29-Sep-2016, 11:35
Thanks for the advice; apparently it's been a clog-free machine since purchase, but I haven't worked my special magic on it yet.
Baryta (Moab Juniper) is exactly what I use, so I'll look out for that; thanks.

Peter Gomena
29-Sep-2016, 16:33
We ran a pair of 4880s in our public rental studio for several years. They are workhorses. Ours were getting long in the tooth, so we put them out to pasture and replaced them with a donated 3880 and a new P800. P800 is excellent, no complaints about the 3880, either. The key is to use them regularly. 4880s would clog occasionally, but a cleaning cycle, maybe two, would clear things up. Big ink cartridges in the 4880s, expensive, but they last a long time.

I'd buy the P800. 4 black inks, really nice machine. Second would be the 3880, widely available used. Both use the same size (but not identical shape) ink cartridges.

Ari
29-Sep-2016, 17:44
It was a tough call; my own preference would have been a 3880, but I couldn't find one I liked.
The P800 seems like an excellent machine, too, just that the control panel on the printer is something I'd find awkward to use, rather than making the computer tell the printer what to do.
Thanks, Peter.

Kirk Gittings
30-Sep-2016, 10:58
Dan Burkholder recommends the Epson 3880 in his "The New Inkjet Negative Companion". Personally went for the Epson 4900. I taught Digital Photography for years at the Hartford Art School. Their computer labs used 4900s. They survived abuse from students for years. Bit the $$$ bullet and bought an Epson 4900 and haven't looked back... Heads never block up from non use. My Epson 7800's heads would block up if I didn't use on a weekly basis.

We run 5 4900's at the Santa Fe University of Art and Design. One is usually in the shop at any given time for clogs, even running a humidiier 24/7 in the space. In the 3.5 years I have been there 2 of them have been replaced entirely. It might be the low humidity but.....

Ari
30-Sep-2016, 11:18
Hi David,
Thanks for the suggestion; I was watching for a 3880, but since none were available, I opted for the 4880, just to have something right now.
If a 3880 comes up, I may be in a position to buy it and sell the 4880, but I mostly need to get printing soon.
I'll pick up the 4880 next week; thanks.

Jim Andrada
30-Sep-2016, 14:10
Hi Ari

Good luck with it. Hopefully you'll have help picking it up - weighs around 100 pounds without the box.

Ari
30-Sep-2016, 14:14
Thanks, Jim!
If I can move the Creo, the 4880 should be ok.
A friend will help, of course.

Peter Gomena
30-Sep-2016, 17:20
Ari, the P800 is run from the computer. The touch screen is for handy access to functions like matte/glossy ink switching, ink levels, opening the ink cabinet, other quick-menu items.

Ari
30-Sep-2016, 18:54
Peter, good to know; I briefly looked at the P800 with a sales clerk who was only working the control panel and who told me most of the printing commands go through the panel instead of the computer software.
I ended up getting the 4880 because it's the lowest-cost option right now, not necessarily the option I'd have chosen if my wallet were a little thicker.
Thanks again.

DKirk
30-Sep-2016, 23:59
I've run a 4880 pretty heavily over the last few years - it will clog no matter what you do, but keep an eye on it & run a clean cycle if it does. Back in May I ran it nearly continuously for a week & it still clogged now & then - nothing a clean cycle wouldn't fix though. It can be a very frustrating machine to get sheet baryta paper into - use 17" rolls if you value your sanity.

Otherwise it's pretty competent.

If You're interested, Calumet have another set of their open days coming up. Yet to get the full briefing/exhibitor list, but as far as I know Hugh will be there from Epson. He should have the P600 and P800 there.

Yet to find out if we'll have the big ImagePROGRAF PRO-1000.

Glasgow Calumet is the 19th of October, and Edinburgh on the 20th.

interneg
1-Oct-2016, 03:01
If You're interested, Calumet have another set of their open days coming up. Yet to get the full briefing/exhibitor list, but as far as I know Hugh will be there from Epson. He should have the P600 and P800 there.

Yet to find out if we'll have the big ImagePROGRAF PRO-1000.

Glasgow Calumet is the 19th of October, and Edinburgh on the 20th.

Cheers - I'm on the mailing list for them anyway, though am more interested in the PRO-4000 - looked at buying a PRO-1000, but it's a bit small for what I need these days.

DKirk
2-Oct-2016, 13:01
Cheers - I'm on the mailing list for them anyway, though am more interested in the PRO-4000 - looked at buying a PRO-1000, but it's a bit small for what I need these days.

Ah - think that's something that's more of a Photography Show product rather than the roadshows (I just do the CiG products rather than the BiG - Consumer Imaging Group/Business Imaging Group). If you give me your email via PM, I can pass it on to one of the BiG team who may be able to give you some further information, over and above whats on the product page.