PDA

View Full Version : Tetenal E6 three baths

Gabriele Campagnano
27-Sep-2016, 03:55
Hi All,

I have an E6 kit, never open, that it is now 5 years old.
Had any of you success with such old chemicals? Shall I just toss it or
should I give it a try?
The appearance of all the liquids seems ok….

Thanks,
Gabriele

Sandro
27-Sep-2016, 13:50
Hi All,

I have an E6 kit, never open, that it is now 5 years old.
Had any of you success with such old chemicals? Shall I just toss it or
should I give it a try?
The appearance of all the liquids seems ok….

Thanks,
Gabriele

5 years is so much more than the standard shelf life of color chemistry.
The question you could ask, imo, is if the value or your next color photos is lower than the cost of a new kit, a Tetenal E6 for example, which costs less than 2 $ per developed roll.
And once you test a single roll, you are not sure the kit will last for a second batch, a third ...

Duolab123
3-Oct-2016, 20:11
Liquid chemistry doesn't keep well, especially the color developer. I would be very careful and try on less important films. I agree better to buy fresh. Recently I discovered a 60 year old Ektachrome process E-1 kit. All dry powders packed in sealed tin cans. I mixed it up and it worked great developing current Fujichrome. I had to adjust temperature and film speed quite a bit. It was great fun, as an experiment. However if I was shooting important films I would definitely use a new batch.
Best Regards Mike

dave_whatever
4-Oct-2016, 04:02
I reckon it is worth a try with a test sheet or roll of film. My colour E6s kits have always kept pretty well, well beyond the stated expected life. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Phil Hudson
4-Oct-2016, 11:05
In my experience the Tetenal kits keep very well. I would be cautious but try it......