PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed for Cable Release Ilex Number 5 Universal Shutter

Michael Finder
23-Sep-2016, 15:08
Any guidance to find a cable release that works on a Number 5 Ilex Universal Shutter would be appreciated.

I have 7 different cable releases however none of them will fire the shutter. It seems as though the cable release plungers are not long enough to fully push the release mechanism.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers Michael.

Bob Salomon
23-Sep-2016, 15:26
Try a Gepe.

Alan Gales
23-Sep-2016, 15:33
Or a Prontor.

Gepe's can be purchased new. Prontors show up used on Ebay from time to time. They both are long throw and work with Ilex shutters.

John Kasaian
23-Sep-2016, 16:29
The Gepe fires my Ilex Number 5 Universals.
A Minette will not(don't ask how I learned this!)
I've never tried a Prontor but Alan would certainly know the score.
You can buy Gepes new. I like the disc lock version.
Prontors may take some hunting for.

Michael Finder
23-Sep-2016, 17:03
My cable release plungers all are 5/8 inch or 1.6 cm long. How long is the Gepe? I'm in Australia and want to make sure I get the correct length if I'm buying from overseas. Thanks Michael.

Kevin Crisp
23-Sep-2016, 17:07
About 70% of my releases will work on my Ilex #4 shutters. I put red paint on the plunger so I know which ones work. If it is a continuing problem, I think this can be adjusted during a shutter service.

Alan Gales
23-Sep-2016, 17:26
My cable release plungers all are 5/8 inch or 1.6 cm long. How long is the Gepe? I'm in Australia and want to make sure I get the correct length if I'm buying from overseas. Thanks Michael.

I measured one of my cloth covered Gepes and it measured 3/4" or 6/8" fully extended. I measured one of the Prontors at 7/8". Each will trip my Ilex #5 shutter for my 14" Commercial Ektar.

Jim Andrada
23-Sep-2016, 20:10
I use a Prontor release - it's longer than others I've found and works on every shutter I have. I had one or two that the Gepe/Gebr. Schreck releases wouldn't fire. The one I have has a couple of metal "wings" like a hypodermic syringe that makes it easy to hold. Mine has an extension of 1 1/16" but it uses a screw type lock instead of the button. You can check the Gebr. Schreck website - they have a lot of types of release.

Michael Finder
24-Sep-2016, 22:52
Thanks for all the information. Wish me luck. Cheers Michael.