PDA

View Full Version : I bought Sinar F with no lens board. Advice?

Kleiny41
23-Sep-2016, 05:03
Greetings. I purchased a Sinar F with no lens board. I'm seeking advice on what I should be looking for
When I purchase a lens board. I have 2 large format lenses- one Nikkor 210mm with a Copal 3 shutter and a Kodak 127 f/4.5 that I purchased for a busted Crown Graphic. Any suggestions for lens board searching? Should I get a lens with shutter already mounted in a board?

Thanks!
Amanda in DC

Leigh
23-Sep-2016, 05:18
Hi Amanda, and Welcome Aboard.

I'm inclined to think that the F lensboards are the same as the F2 lensboards, but I can't guarantee that.

F2 lensboards are as common as pretty leaves in the fall. You step anywhere and you'll trip over them.

They're available with many different size holes to properly mount any shutter.
You need to specify the shutter if ordering a board.

Used equipment vendors like B&H Photo (www.bhphotovideo.com) in New York or
KEH (KEH.com) in Atlanta have used lensboards available

Also, Igor has used Sinar boards at http://igorcamera.com/sinar_film_digital.htm near the bottom.

Note that you do not want other Sinar boards, specifically the DB boards, or those identified as
adapter boards for Nikon F lenses. Those are very different from the standard Sinar lens boards.

- Leigh

Peter De Smidt
23-Sep-2016, 05:21
In my experience, any Sinar board from a Norma on will fit on any Sinar camera. Horseman boards for their studio cameras also work well. Ebay has a whole bunch of generic boards, but these are not the same quality. They can be too thin, thick, shiny.....

B.S.Kumar
23-Sep-2016, 05:36
If you want to take the camera outdoors, it might pay to invest in a Sinar>Linhof Technika adapter board. This will allow you to mount lenses on the smaller Technika boards, and save space in your backpack. If the camera is intended for studio use, original Sinar or Horseman boards will work fine.

Kumar

Joshua Dunn
23-Sep-2016, 06:23
Amanda,

Send me a PM. I am in the Washington DC area and have a ton of Sinar gear. I probably have some lens boards that would work for you.

-Joshua

Greg
23-Sep-2016, 06:44
In my experience, any Sinar board from a Norma on will fit on any Sinar camera. Horseman boards for their studio cameras also work well. Ebay has a whole bunch of generic boards, but these are not the same quality. They can be too thin, thick, shiny.....

Stay away from generic boards. Once bought one that was too thick to mount on the camera.

Drew Wiley
23-Sep-2016, 09:02
Ditto. Buy real Sinar boards, not generics.

Jeff Keller
23-Sep-2016, 09:17
Sinar boards are very large. Kumar provided an excellent recommendation. Buy a Sinar to Technika adapter board and mount your lenses on Technika boards.

-jeff

Drew Wiley
23-Sep-2016, 09:24
Depends on the lens. I certainly prefer anything on a no.3 shutter on a full Sinar board. Otherwise, I too prefer the Sinar to Tecknika adapter system. Several outfits offer this conversion. But again, start with a real Sinar blank, not a generic board.

Bernice Loui
23-Sep-2016, 09:25
Technica boards will limit shutter-lens size. Try using a Copal 3 or Ilex 5 or similar with a sizable lens on a Technica board, not gonna wok.

Essentially, the Technica to Sinar board adapter is a trade-off and not ideal in all cases. What makes a Sinar attractive is the ability to use almost any optic far beyond any field camera.

Bernice

Alan Gales
23-Sep-2016, 09:30
Hello Amanda and welcome to the forum.

It would be a very good idea for you to purchase a lens wrench to attach your Copal 3 Shutter and Nikkor lens to a proper lens board. There are other ways of doing it but a lens wrench is the safest and best way. They are inexpensive too! Here is a good one.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/131992-USA/Rodenstock_260600_Metal_Lens_Wrench.html

Luis-F-S
23-Sep-2016, 09:53
Yea, buy a Sinar board with a #3 hole. Then mount the 210 Nikkor on it. And download the Sinar manual available on line from several sources. L

Jim Noel
23-Sep-2016, 10:02
Hi Amanda, and Welcome Aboard.

I'm inclined to think that the F lensboards are the same as the F2 lensboards, but I can't guarantee that.

F2 lensboards are as common as pretty leaves in the fall. You step anywhere and you'll trip over them.

They're available with many different size holes to properly mount any shutter.
You need to specify the shutter if ordering a board.

Used equipment vendors like B&H Photo (www.bhphotovideo.com) in New York or
KEH (KEH.com) in Atlanta have used lensboards available

Also, Igor has used Sinar boards at http://igorcamera.com/sinar_film_digital.htm near the bottom.

Note that you do not want other Sinar boards, specifically the DB boards, or those identified as
adapter boards for Nikon F lenses. Those are very different from the standard Sinar lens boards.

- Leigh

All Sinar lensboards fit all Sinar cameras.

Bernice Loui
23-Sep-2016, 10:19
Sinar DB is specific to lenses mounted for use Sinar shutter. Sinar DB mount has the aperture mechanism on the Sinar lens board specifically designed to couple with the Sinar shutter. This system was designed to allow easy visibility of lens aperture setting, automatic-coupled lens stop down when the film holder is in place and reduce lens stopping down errors.

Sinar DB is NOT a Nikon F to Sinar adapter.

All Sinar boards are interchangeable from Sinar Norma on.
Sinar lens boards were originally a shade of gray for the Norma, then thinnish black with crinkle paint with Sinar cast into the back of the len board, then the last generation which has the raised Sinar lettering cast into the front. The Sinar lens boards with the cast lettering in front are best. There are aftermrket Sinar boards ranging from excellent to awful.

Bernice

- Leigh

Ari
23-Sep-2016, 10:21
Technica boards will limit shutter-lens size. Try using a Copal 3 or Ilex 5 or similar with a sizable lens on a Technica board, not gonna wok.

Essentially, the Technica to Sinar board adapter is a trade-off and not ideal in all cases. What makes a Sinar attractive is the ability to use almost any optic far beyond any field camera.

Bernice

Not so; a Copal 3 Technika board is readily available online, some lenses/cameras may require the use of a spacer to facilitate use.
As for Ilex 5, I've mounted it on a Technika board, but I needed the services of a very skilled machinist.

Phil Hudson
23-Sep-2016, 11:09
Nikkor 210mm with a Copal 3 shutter

Worth checking that it is Copal 3. Both my Nikkor 210s are in Copal 1 (Nikkor-W and Nikkor ED-AM macro) but I don't have extensive knowledge of the Nikon lineup....

Drew Wiley
23-Sep-2016, 11:24
Spacers are clumsy, even though no.3 Technika boards are readily available. I've even got some huge process lenses mounted on full-sized Sinar boards that required a custom spacer. Just be aware that there are Technika-style boards with centered holes, which is what you generally want, versus the ones with the
hole off-center downwards, intended for actual Linhof Technika cameras.

Leigh
23-Sep-2016, 13:58
Sinar DB is NOT a Nikon F to Sinar adapter.
Bernice,

Kindly re-read my statement, thus:

The Sinar DB board and the Sinar adapter board for Nikon F lenses are two different boards.

I mentioned them because Igor lists them along with the desired standard Sinar boards in the same section.

Since the OP is a newbie, I didn't want those references to confuse her.

- Leigh

Leigh
23-Sep-2016, 14:09
Technica boards will limit shutter-lens size.
Try using a Copal 3 or Ilex 5 or similar with a sizable lens on a Technica board, not gonna wok.
Bernice,

There can be a clearance problem using the Copal #3 on a Technika board, particularly with an adapter.
The retaining strap across the top may interfere with the movement of the shutter controls.

The solution is to rotate the shutter 90 degrees when mounting.
That puts the controls and scales on the side where the retaining strap does not interfere.

I have several large lenses on Copal #3/Technika boards that I use on various larger cameras with adapter boards, including a Nikkor W 300/5.6 with its 420mm image circle, 95mm filter, and 1250gm (2.75 pound) weight.

- Leigh

Kleiny41
23-Sep-2016, 18:45
Thanks so much to everyone who has responded to my post! I genuinely appreciate all of your wisdom! I was wrong about my Nikkor 210mm- it has a Copal 1 shutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk