PDA

View Full Version : Need help to identfiy whre the problem occurred

Cupcake
22-Sep-2016, 13:48
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8069341@N04/Hi,im a starter of LF photography ,i started a month ago,i have a Calumet 4x5 and a Fuji 150mm f6.3 lens , after i developed my last 2 exposure there is wide gray line on the left side of the negative,and i can figure it out where and when the problem occurred,would anyone please tell me where and when i did or the problem occurred .

Thank you in advance !

Two23
22-Sep-2016, 15:13
Hi,im a starter of LF photography ,i started a month ago,i have a Calumet 4x5 and a Fuji 150mm f6.3 lens , after i developed my last 2 exposure there is wide line on the left side of the negative,and i can figure it out where and when the problem occurred,would anyone please tell me where and when i did or the problem occurred .

Thank you in advance !

The lines are the film guides in the film holder. Not really much you can do, I don't think. I would crop them off.

Kent in SD

blue4130
22-Sep-2016, 15:27
I think he is talking about the thick line with the extra density that runs vertical through the building...

Can you tell us how you processed the negatives? Yanke tank, jobo, tray, taco method?

Jon Shiu
22-Sep-2016, 15:28
It looks possibly like an underdevelopment problem. What type of tank?

Cupcake
22-Sep-2016, 15:39
I Develop using Jobo MultiTank2 2521 TankSystem 2500
Chemical temp is 68 f , first wash 1 minute at 68f , developer 7 minute agitated by hand spinning 20 sec ,then 15 sec each minute true the 7 minute ,then 30sec stop bath then 8 minute Fixer and agitate 15 sec each minute then wash with Wetting Flow 3 minute ,i use 5 drops in 32onz water . I had water markes and spots on my film now the wetting flow take care if that but this wide dens line i have no idea how it gets there.

Stephen Thomason
22-Sep-2016, 15:56
I use Jobo tanks on Beseler or Unicolor motor drives/roller bases - continuous agitation. If I were going to use it manually, I would agitate via inversion, not spinning. Is your tank full of chemicals? I don't think you can use the fluid quantities that are on the tank unless you are using continuous agitation with the tanks held horizontally.

It looks like a development issue to me. Perhaps insufficient chemical level in the tank??

Cupcake
22-Sep-2016, 16:12
That may be the problem ,its because i just checked the amount of developer i i use it to develop it does not cover the whole film in the tank,so i will do another exposure and i will add more the developer until the film is covered with developer and ill post the result later.

Leigh
22-Sep-2016, 16:37
I just checked the amount of developer i i use to develop it does not cover the whole film.
That's standard for rotary development, and one of its advantages.

To work properly, the tank cannot be stationary for any amount of time. It must rotate continuously.

Here's a crop of the Jobo datasheet showing 270ml of solution required for up to 6 4x5 sheets at a time. If your particular developer requires more volume per sheet, you use more or process fewer sheets.

The Solution circle in the title bar shows the liquid level in the tank when stationary. The grey shading was hard to see so I put a red line above the liquid level in the drawing. Note how low it is.

http://www.atwaterkent.info/Images/Jobo001_annot.jpg

- Leigh

koraks
23-Sep-2016, 03:34
In addition, make sure the processor or roller base is level during development, otherwise the developing solution will all end up at one side of the tank, leaving the other end dry.

ic-racer
23-Sep-2016, 05:53
That posted 'negative' is showing up as a positive on my screen. Anyway, the most frequent cause of excess density a light leak somewhere. Perhaps during processing. Try processing a sheet in a tray and see.

Jim Noel
23-Sep-2016, 10:20
That may be the problem ,its because i just checked the amount of developer i i use it to develop it does not cover the whole film in the tank,so i will do another exposure and i will add more the developer until the film is covered with developer and ill post the result later.

That is the answer to your problem. By the way, rotation as on a motor base, will also solve the problem.

Leigh
23-Sep-2016, 14:47
Yeah, if you must agitate (invert) by hand you must fully cover the film.

- Leigh

Cupcake
23-Sep-2016, 14:51
That's standard for rotary development, and one of its advantages.

To work properly, the tank cannot be stationary for any amount of time. It must rotate continuously.

Here's a crop of the Jobo datasheet showing 270ml of solution required for up to 6 4x5 sheets at a time. If your particular developer requires more volume per sheet, you use more or process fewer sheets.

The Solution circle in the title bar shows the liquid level in the tank when stationary. The grey shading was hard to see so I put a red line above the liquid level in the drawing. Note how low it is.

http://www.atwaterkent.info/Images/Jobo001_annot.jpg

- Leigh
Thanks again for the help Leigh ,have a great day !