PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss bellows extension

12pmc
22-Sep-2016, 04:21
I am looking at buying an Arca Swiss Classic F line 4x5. I am trying to find out if:

a) The standard bellows with the 141mm standards front and back will allow the use of a 90mm lens without a recessed lens board, and also extend to enable a 300mm lens to be used closer than infinity - and by how much.

b). If the standard bellows of the Classic Field with the 141mm standard at back and 110mm stand at front will allow a 300mm lens to be used closer than infinity. ( 90mm should not be an issue.)

Thanks for any input as I am trying to get consistent information.

Peter

macolive
22-Sep-2016, 08:23
I have an F-Metric 4x5 with the 141 frames on both sides. The 90mm works with the standard below without a recessed board but I've found it to be a little stiff so I prefer using the wide angle bellows.

The standard bellows (141mm) I have can extend to about 420mm so that gives you a magnification of about x1.4 (I think).

Not sure about the 141-110 bellows.

Michael

I am looking at buying an Arca Swiss Classic F line 4x5. I am trying to find out if:

a) The standard bellows with the 141mm standards front and back will allow the use of a 90mm lens without a recessed lens board, and also extend to enable a 300mm lens to be used closer than infinity - and by how much.

b). If the standard bellows of the Classic Field with the 141mm standard at back and 110mm stand at front will allow a 300mm lens to be used closer than infinity. ( 90mm should not be an issue.)

Thanks for any input as I am trying to get consistent information.

Peter

agregov
22-Sep-2016, 16:16
I have the 110/141 setup (with standard leather bellows) and have no problem with 300mm focusing. The leather bellows is quite flexible and should allow closer focusing at 300mm. However, you will need a long enough rail. For example, I use the 4/5 field-compact camera with collapsible rails and I need a 15cm extension for use with 240 and 300mm lenses. If you haven't already, I'd recommend talking with Rod Klukas, the US Arca rep. He's invaluable in helping navigate all the options across the Arca system catalog. If you do sync up with him, I'd recommend discussing getting Micro Orbix (tilt) and the metric model for geared movements. The geared movements are brilliant if you decide to use a viewing bellows as opposed to darkcloth.

biedron
23-Sep-2016, 14:33
I also have the 141x110 leather bellows, and with a Nikkor 500T lens at infinity focus, the bellows are stretched just about as far as I am comfortable with. The Nikkor 500T has a flange focal length of approximately 350 mm, so that's about the extent of the leather bellows extension (you might push it just a bit more).

So yes, you can focus a regular 300 mm lens at infinity, and a bit closer (given enough rail as already mentioned). No problem on the 90 mm end with a flat lens board with the 141x110 leather bellows.

Bob

12pmc
24-Sep-2016, 04:59
Thanks all very much for the information appreciated, think I will head for the 141/110.

Peter