PDA

View Full Version : Shutter Release Cable for Fujinon Lenses?

Rodfjell
19-Sep-2016, 14:51
I've just gotten into large format about two weeks ago with a Wista 45 from the 70s. I've got a Graflex Optar 135mm f/4.7 on it right now but eventually I'm going to get some Fujinon lenses off. Specifically a Fujinon W 210mm f/5.6 in Copal 1 and a Fujinon SWD 90mm f/5.6 in Copal 0.

Browsing B&H for shutter release cables and I saw a few reviews for various products where the reviewer stated it did not work for their Fujinon lens. So are there some specifications I need to keep in mind when choosing a shutter release cable for a Fujinon lens?

Thanks, y'all.

Here's my first large format photo taken last weekend:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8706/29145934623_cff04492db_c.jpg
(Light leak in the bottom right most likely from the bellows - I had to patch a few pinholes with gaffers tape.)

Bob Salomon
19-Sep-2016, 14:56
Any cable release with the common tapered tip and long throw plunger will work, like the Gepe ones.

Bob Salomon
19-Sep-2016, 14:58
Patching bellows will not stop light leaks. Once they start they will continue to happen in other areas of the bellows and taping just makes the bellows less flexible, as will all other DIY cures. It is time to replace the bellows.

Rodfjell
19-Sep-2016, 14:59
Any cable release with the common tapered tip and long throw plunger will work, like the Gepe ones.

OK. Thank you. I need one for my hiking trip in the Grand Canyon in a month before I get the Fujinon lenses anyway so I'll get a Gepe and it will at least work for the Graflex Optar.

David Karp
19-Sep-2016, 18:03
I have several Fujinon lenses of varying vintage. My Gepe releases work fine with all of them. (Copal 0 &1, Seiko)

Rodfjell
19-Sep-2016, 18:05
I have several Fujinon lenses of varying vintage. My Gepe releases work fine with all of them. (Copal 0 &1, Seiko)

Thank you, David. I'll chalk those reviews up to user error then lol. I'm looking at a Gepe 10" disk-lock right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Salomon
20-Sep-2016, 06:50
Thank you, David. I'll chalk those reviews up to user error then lol. I'm looking at a Gepe 10" disk-lock right now.

10" is too short, you must leave slack in a release to prevent a release from transporting vibration to the lens. Go all out and get an 18".

Rodfjell
20-Sep-2016, 07:17
10" is too short, you must leave slack in a release to prevent a release from transporting vibration to the lens. Go all out and get an 18".

Oki doki. Will the Gepe 20" metal-weave cable with disc-lock be fine?

John Kasaian
20-Sep-2016, 07:43
It's not the lens, but the shutter that the cable release operates.
Just sayin'

Some older shutters have special needs----like double action Universals requiring a long throw.
Quite awhile back I posted a comparison test of cable releases (Gepe vs Minette, IIRC)
Try the search function if you'd care to see it.

FWIW, all of my cable releases are now disc lock Gepes

Rodfjell
20-Sep-2016, 07:48
It's not the lens, but the shutter that the cable release operates.
Just sayin'

I know; I'm only a noob to large format, not photography as a whole. Thanks, John lol.

John Kasaian
20-Sep-2016, 07:55
I think you'll like the Gepe disc lock.:)
BTW, is the grand old hospital building still standing in New Orleans? I've always thought it is a marvelous piece of architecture.

Rodfjell
20-Sep-2016, 08:04
I think you'll like the Gepe disc lock.:)

I'll be in Arizona and Utah in a month for a two-week hiking/backpacking trip and I'll probably attempt a long exposure at night (estimating about 6-7 hours on Provia) so a shutter release cable is a must.

Rodfjell
20-Sep-2016, 08:11
BTW, is the grand old hospital building still standing in New Orleans? I've always thought it is a marvelous piece of architecture.

The Charity Hospital has been abandoned since Katrina but it still stands.

Bob Salomon
20-Sep-2016, 09:08
Oki doki. Will the Gepe 20" metal-weave cable with disc-lock be fine?

Yes, but a PVC one will be more flexible.

Rodfjell
20-Sep-2016, 09:10
Yes, but a PVC one will be more flexible.

Thanks, Bob.

Drew Wiley
20-Sep-2016, 16:15
All my various shutter releases work for all my various Fujinon lenses. If a release is worn out, or develops a kink in it, it won't work correctly for ANY camera or lens. But not all releases are created equal to begin with. You get what you pay for (based on original pricing - even superb releases can be found for a bargain
used, or even "new/old inventory".

Rodfjell
20-Sep-2016, 16:17
All my various shutter releases work for all my various Fujinon lenses. If a release is worn out, or develops a kink in it, it won't work correctly for ANY camera or lens. But not all releases are created equal to begin with. You get what you pay for (based on original pricing - even superb releases can be found for a bargain
used, or even "new/old inventory".

Thanks, Drew. I went with a new Gepe.