PDA

View Full Version : Private Message Settings

Ralph Barker
19-Sep-2016, 08:07
Current (as of 19 Sep 2016) settings for Private Messages for Registered Users are: 200 maximum messages, with a limit of 2,000 characters/message. This was set a few months ago in response to issues with the previous settings of 100 message max, and 3,000 chars/message. This is as high as we can go with the current server configuration without risking problems with the size of the database partition, and changing the server configuration is not an option at this time. (We operate on donated resources, both in terms of the server, and the bandwidth used by the forum.)

Although PMs can be downloaded to one's PC and deleted from the LFPF server, the resulting format of the downloaded text is not particularly convenient for offline management. Persons for whom the 200 message maximum is not convenient may wish to enable e-mail communications from other members (that is turned off by default, but can be changed in their individual profile), and redirect conversations to e-mail after an initial PM contact. This would allow you to manage conversations within your chosen e-mail application.

To enable e-mail from other members, click on the "Settings" link at the upper-right of the forum display, then "General Settings" under the "My Account" section of the "My Settings" area in the menu on the left. There, you will see the "Messaging & Notification" area where the desired boxes can be checked.

If you don't already use a special e-mail account for forum activity, you may wish to consider doing so. You can change the e-mail address that is used in conjunction with the LFPF via the same "Settings" link, and the "Edit Email & Password" menu item. If you change your e-mail address from that with which you registered, please do so carefully. If something goes awry, however, you can always use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of all forum pages to contact the moderator team to request assistance.

jp
19-Sep-2016, 08:28
Awesome! Thank you.

john1565
30-Mar-2018, 01:58
Nice to see that this site values forum members feedback!

Peter Collins
29-Jun-2018, 09:54
Okay. I get it. Thanks, Oren and Ralph!

nasahck
28-Jan-2019, 23:18
good to know. thanks!

Doremus Scudder
4-Jan-2022, 13:22
I just spent 30+ minutes dividing up a well-written and though-out reply to a question from a fellow forum member into four separate messages so I could fit them all into the 2000 character size limit for individual messages.

Isn't there any way to increase that limit on message size? It doesn't really keep our messages to each other short or save storage space (heck, there a limits on the number of messages that collect in the mailboxes anyway); we just have to divide longer messages up and send them in installments.

I realize that 2000 characters may seem like a lot, but I've often run into this problem, both sending and receiving. Even Twitter doubled their original character limit :)

How about it? Can we increase the size of those personal messages to a more convenient one?

Best,

Doremus

Tin Can
4-Jan-2022, 13:47
I also HAD problems

Considering LFPF very occasional blackouts, I always move to personal email ASAP

Oren Grad
4-Jan-2022, 14:48
I've merged this with the relevant prior discussion so that we can recall where the current settings came from - see Ralph's post at the top. There's always a tradeoff.

BrianShaw
4-Jan-2022, 14:53
Brevity is often a blessing.

Doremus Scudder
5-Jan-2022, 10:56
Brevity is often a blessing.

Yes, I know - guilty as charged. But I didn't have time to write a shorter response :)

Still, unless there's some technical reason that the limit can't be increased, there's no advantage to having it since we just send our complete messages in installments. It just makes it less convenient to give a detailed and complete answer to a query. I think we should try to facilitate that if possible.

Best,

Doremus

Dan Fromm
5-Jan-2022, 11:24
I agree.

jnantz
5-Jan-2022, 12:12
I've gotten used to small pm messages. maybe if it takes more than a few lines exchange emails, and add more info ..
you might have to get a web based email account like ymail, lycos, altavista or mailexcite .. I think Jeeves is still on vacation.

Oren Grad
5-Jan-2022, 12:54
Still, unless there's some technical reason that the limit can't be increased, there's no advantage to having it since we just send our complete messages in installments. It just makes it less convenient to give a detailed and complete answer to a query. I think we should try to facilitate that if possible.

We do have an overall storage constraint. Although it wasn't spelled out explicitly in Ralph's initial post, we've already adjusted this once, to the current settings favoring more messages at the expense of message length, in response to user requests. It's apparent that any particular tradeoff isn't going to please everybody.

Please keep in mind that the PM function here is not intended to be a general-purpose email service. It's really primitive and doesn't have the features you'd want for either message drafting or archiving, as noted we have a storage constraint, and ultimately it's not our purpose to provide such a comprehensive service. The PM function is provided as a convenience to support brief exchanges related to Forum activity. If you want to engage in a detailed, ongoing correspondence with someone it's best to move that to an external email account.

Tin Can
5-Jan-2022, 14:03
I delete all PM

ASAP

I also delete a lot of email, phone calls, text etc

I throw out a lot of paper mail too, I never answer a phone

Handwritten letters are keepers

Got a nice one yesterday, Erika is riding her motorcycle 500 miles to me in Spring

Made my month!