PDA

View Full Version : Medium - Wide lens suggestion for the Horseman FA?

mandonbossi
17-Sep-2016, 06:04
Hi,
I have a Horseman FA with a 90mm, 150mm and 210mm lens and I am looking for something in the 110mm - 135mm range? Am hoping somebody could possibly help me out...

I have previously used a 135mm and quite like that focal length but feel like it is too close to 150mm..

So ideally would like a small compact lens in the 110 - 120mm range? I don't need massive movements either, as I use the camera fairly simply..

Also, I hear that the 135mm Rodenstock Sironar - N is able to fold straight into the Horseman FA.. Any lenses in this range small enough to do this?

Also, I have noticed that the Fujinon lenses seem very affordable and that one of these come in a 125mm focal length? Any idea as to the performance of this one?

O.K, thanks so much in advance! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

ic-racer
17-Sep-2016, 07:29
I occasionally use the Horseman 6x9 120mm lens from my 6x9 camera on the FA. The lens boards from the 6x9 camera and the FA are the same size. The lens is small and compact but, since it is a 6x9 lens, there are no movements available. My camera bag holds my FA in the unfolded state, so I only fold it for storage. I do, however, think this lens will fold up into the camera in the field. Since this lens takes the Horseman cable release, only a thumb screw is needed to attach or un-attach the cable.

konakoa
17-Sep-2016, 11:41
I'll second the recommendation for a 120mm. I have a Schenider 120mm Apo-Symmar "L" on my FA. A really nice lens with plenty of image circle for 4x5. I've never found mine lacking optically or running out of movements on the FA. It won't fold up in the camera, but it is still a tiny lens.

mandonbossi
17-Sep-2016, 19:55
Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated!

The only ones that come up for me are not designated as "L", is there any difference?

Oren Grad
17-Sep-2016, 20:51
Apo-Symmar L is the next (and final) generation of Schneider general-purpose plasmats after the Apo-Symmar series. The 120 L is specified to cover 75 degrees, corresponding to an image circle of 189mm at f/22 and infinity focus, while the prior 120 Apo-Symmar is specified for 72 degrees coverage, with an image circle of 179mm at f/22 and infinity focus. The non-L lens is also a bit more compact, taking a 49mm filter rather than 52mm as required by the L.

LF lens sales were falling off rapidly by the time the Apo-Symmar L series was introduced, so they're less commonly seen second-hand compared to the earlier generations. The Apo-Symmar series are excellent lenses and would be a fine choice if you don't need the extra coverage.

mandonbossi
22-Sep-2016, 01:46
Awesome! Thanks so much for the responses back, greatly appreciated!

Will hunt down a 120mm lens I reckon ;)

mandonbossi
30-Sep-2016, 18:58
Sorry, just another quick one that hopefully somebody can answer for me...

How does the 120mm f8 Super Angulon compare? Is it multicoated? Does it have a significantly smaller image circle? Weight difference?

Seems to be an even cheaper option which may just do the job well enough for me ;)

Thanks so much in advance once again! Much appreciated!

Ari
30-Sep-2016, 19:13
Sorry, just another quick one that hopefully somebody can answer for me...

How does the 120mm f8 Super Angulon compare? Is it multicoated? Does it have a significantly smaller image circle? Weight difference?

Seems to be an even cheaper option which may just do the job well enough for me ;)

Thanks so much in advance once again! Much appreciated!

Great lens that almost covers 8x10, but compared to the APO Symmar 120, it's quite huge.
Later versions are multi-coated; comes in a Copal 1 shutter, but it's also quite heavy.
Don't buy it unless you need extreme movements on 4x5 and have a camera that can support it.

Oren Grad
30-Sep-2016, 20:42
How does the 120mm f8 Super Angulon compare?... Seems to be an even cheaper option which may just do the job well enough for me ;)

The rear cell of the 120 SA is too large to fit through the opening in the front standard of the Horseman field cameras. You'd have to remove the rear cell, take off the ground glass, and re-attach the rear cell through the back of the camera every time you wanted to mount the lens on the camera.

mandonbossi
1-Oct-2016, 04:37
Thanks so much! Really appreciate it!

David E. Rose
1-Oct-2016, 06:15
You should look into a Fujinon W 125mm 5.6. There are a couple of versions with differing coverages and filter sizes, but all cover 4x5 with movements and are quite modest in size. They generally sell for under $300.

mandonbossi
1-Oct-2016, 17:23
Hi David,
Thanks for that, yes I had looked at the Fujinon originally as it seemed to be a perfect focal length for what I was after... I originally thought it was single coated so was going to give it a miss but now I see that there are versions that have multicoating?

Any idea if the rear of this lens is able to be used with the Horseman FA?

Thanks again!

David E. Rose
1-Oct-2016, 17:33
Hi David,
Thanks for that, yes I had looked at the Fujinon originally as it seemed to be a perfect focal length for what I was after... I originally thought it was single coated so was going to give it a miss but now I see that there are versions that have multicoating?

Any idea if the rear of this lens is able to be used with the Horseman FA?

Thanks again!

Yes, the later versions were multicoated. I use mine in a Wista SP, it fits easily (they are quite small). See
Kerry Thalmann's page for more info:

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/fujinon.htm