PDA

View Full Version : My Lesbian Portraits Opening in Florida September 23 2016

Robert Kalman
16-Sep-2016, 14:15
I'm pleased to announce that I have a show opening just outside of Fort Lauderdale at the Stonewall National Museum.

I AM HERE: The Lesbian Portraits
Photographs by Robert Kalman
Stonewall National Museum - Mona Pittenger Gallery
2157 Wilton Drive, Wilton Manors, FL

Public Opening – Friday, September 23, 2016. Runs through November 6, 2016
Hours: Tue- Sun 4 pm - 10 pm (Closed Mondays)

Since the untimely death of his lesbian sister, photographer Robert Kalman has sought a way to create a tribute to her memory and her personal struggle. In this series of photographs, Kalman made formal street portraits of lesbian community members using a large, 8x10 view camera while asking them the question, “What’s life like for you right now?” Their handwritten responses which are paired with their portraits create a remarkable look at life today in our community. As one young woman wrote, “To be genuinely authentic and carry no shame is a beautiful thing.”

Read more about the work here - https://phmuseum.com/news/robert-kalman-on-i-am-here

diversey
16-Sep-2016, 17:15
Congratulations!

Jody_S
16-Sep-2016, 18:00
Beautiful tribute. I've done the formal portrait thing in Montreal's gay village, during the celebrations after the annual Pride parade. But I didn't ask any personal questions, I just asked people to pose any way they liked. Therefore I do not formally know their sexual orientation (intentional). They are just people who posed for me in the street. Some chose to be obvious, others were walking along with friends and family and I truly have no idea. If you didn't see the Pride decorations in the background, you would have no idea of the context and the implications.

I might re-try this next year, I like your idea of having people jot down some thoughts. I could incorporate that into a model release contract, then I could use the photos. What I did was closer to street performance than photography.

Tin Can
16-Sep-2016, 20:45
Fantastic!

Let's see how Peoria it plays in Peoria...

stawastawa
16-Sep-2016, 20:48
Neat format.
I always enjoy seeing handwritten text next to portraits, sounds like some are quite powerful notes too.

Hope the show is all you can hope for and more, and keep us posted if it goes traveling anywhere =)

mathieu Bauwens
17-Sep-2016, 00:04
Fantastic job Robert !

jnantz
17-Sep-2016, 05:52
good luck with your show !

Carl D
17-Sep-2016, 09:47
Best of luck with the show!

jvo
17-Sep-2016, 17:24
mazel tov! a hop, skip and a jump from tampa/st. pete - will make the trip before november!

jvo

Robert Kalman
18-Sep-2016, 08:22
mazel tov! a hop, skip and a jump from tampa/st. pete - will make the trip before november!

jvo

Great! Let me know what you think!!

Robert Kalman
18-Sep-2016, 08:24
Neat format.
I always enjoy seeing handwritten text next to portraits, sounds like some are quite powerful notes too.

Hope the show is all you can hope for and more, and keep us posted if it goes traveling anywhere =)

Thanks. Actually, the exhibit will be shown at New York's Soho Photo Gallery in December. I'll post the formal announcement here closer to the specific dates.

Robert Kalman
18-Sep-2016, 08:30
Fantastic!

Let's see how Peoria it plays in Peoria...

Oddly enough, it played very well in Peoria at a group show at Bradley University earlier this year.

Tin Can
18-Sep-2016, 14:33
Oddly enough, it played very well in Peoria at a group show at Bradley University earlier this year.

Good, perhaps some younger ones, don't recall the saying, Peoria does! http://www.peoriamagazines.com/ibi/2009/jun/phrase-put-peoria-map