PDA

View Full Version : Questions on E6 kits

Tim Meisburger
15-Sep-2016, 05:34
I would like to start shooting E6 again. If I use Fuji I am looking at 3.60 a sheet, plus 3.50 for development, plus shipping, so a minimum of seven bucks and change a sheet.

To make this more affordable, I'm thinking to process myself. A pint kit can be stretched to 20 sheets (I think) if I wait to process until I have shot a whole box. That gets me to $1.25 per sheet, or a total of $4.85. If I buy a quart the price goes down to 88 cents per sheet

My questions:

1. Will a pint do 20 sheets, if I process all at the same time.
2. Can I split a quart kit into two pint kits, and let one half sit unused for a year

Thanks for your advice!

Rick A
15-Sep-2016, 05:43
Are you rotary processing or in some other tank or tray? I haven't done E-6 in a few years, but in my Jobo I did 4 sheets at a time and re used the chems as per instructions and never waited to run an entire box at one time. I never tried splitting the quart kit to two separate pints.

Tim Meisburger
15-Sep-2016, 05:51
I will use either the Paterson Orbital, or my new SP-445

Ivan J. Eberle
16-Sep-2016, 08:34
I see that Fuji Hunt E6 5L kits are available again from Freestyle but whew! $199 + shipping. I have to say that doing my own E6 was gratifying mostly for how pure and clean the colors were from doing it one-shot. Never once did I reuse E6 chemistry myself. Now it's gotten onerous to find anyone else to do it, replenishment or not.

Ivan J. Eberle
16-Sep-2016, 08:46
Not to discourage you about E6 (nobody loves a beautiful Fujichrome transparency more than I do), but if you're looking for economy, it's tough to beat C41. The latitude and DR improvements will save a lot of shots or need for bracketing. Does your workflow require E6?

Tim Meisburger
16-Sep-2016, 09:14
E6 and C41 cost the same to buy and to develop, so I prefer to shoot chrome for the relatively rare times I really want color. Right now that means Velvia 50 in a roll film holder, but I'd like to go back to sheet film (which will be Velvia 100, since it is significantly cheaper than the 50).

I don't plan to re-use chemistry. From what I have read it only lasts a week once mixed (I've never developed color). If I buy a 5 liter kit, can I use it 500ml at a time. Does the remainder have a shelf life?

stawastawa
16-Sep-2016, 10:06
That sounds like information the manufacturer would be able to give you readily .
Or try searching for instructions for the kits, the included literature might say. Since Freestyle sells it maybe they can provide the answer too, either by opening a box to look for literature or just knowing the answer.

Mark Sampson
16-Sep-2016, 10:17
It might be better just to give your film to Dodge Chrome- they are in DC on MacArthur Blvd. I think it would be good value for money, unless you have lots of spare time and like messing around with color chemistry. Having spent decades in photo labs and inside EK, I think color processing is best left to the professionals. But if you want to try it, there are knowledgable people here to help.

Tim Meisburger
16-Sep-2016, 12:33
It might be better just to give your film to Dodge Chrome- they are in DC on MacArthur Blvd. I think it would be good value for money, unless you have lots of spare time and like messing around with color chemistry. Having spent decades in photo labs and inside EK, I think color processing is best left to the professionals. But if you want to try it, there are knowledgable people here to help.

In the end, I might do that, but they charge $4.00 a sheet for developing, bringing my cost per shot to $7.60. I would save at least $55 a box by doing my own development.

Mark Sampson
16-Sep-2016, 13:24
...minus your time to process the film, the willingness to risk your hard-earned photographs (due to the inevitable steep part of the learning curve), and the need to properly dispose of the spent chemicals. I won't say don't DIY; that's a very personal decision with no wrong answer. (Perhaps it's just that I've spent too much time working in and running color labs- one part of the craft that I don't miss at all.)
I wish you best of luck, whatever your choice!

Jim C.
16-Sep-2016, 16:21
E6 and C41 cost the same to buy and to develop, so I prefer to shoot chrome for the relatively rare times I really want color. Right now that means Velvia 50 in a roll film holder, but I'd like to go back to sheet film (which will be Velvia 100, since it is significantly cheaper than the 50).

I don't plan to re-use chemistry. From what I have read it only lasts a week once mixed (I've never developed color). If I buy a 5 liter kit, can I use it 500ml at a time. Does the remainder have a shelf life?

I'm not sure what the Fuji/Hunt E6 shelf life is of the stock ( undiluted ) chemicals are and how well they
stand up to time past the expiration, but two of the components of old Kodak E6 kits, I'll have to look
when I get home, tend to form hard crystals that defy any attempts to re-dissove them back into solution.
With the Kodak kits this happens even with factory sealed kits as well as partially used kits, developing with the
chems seems fine.

tgtaylor
16-Sep-2016, 21:54
For a visual guide to determining whether or not a particular chemical component is still viable, see Table 2-3 on this Kodak pub: http://125px.com/docs/techpubs/kodak/z119-2.pdf. This should apply to the Fuji kit. Hope this helps.

Thomas

spacegoose
28-Sep-2016, 13:39
I bought a boatload of FUJI PRO 6 chemistry several years ago (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?90912-Fuji-E6-Chemistry-NYC-(Lower-Manhattan)) (the gold standard of E-6) and only ever developed twice.

It cost around $640, but was magic to see my own amazing chromes (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?104199-E-6-Orange-Fixer-After-Processing-Astia) developed with no one's help but my own! It was not a good move financially.

I did have a mishap on the first go, where I think the film came out clear, or maybe it was all black, but the next time I tried, it rivaled (or more likely was _as_good_as :)) the best E-6 developing I've seen.

But it was a real p̶a̶i̶n̶-̶i̶n̶-̶t̶h̶e̶-̶a̶s̶s̶ challenge to do right. Lots of baths, lots of timing to be right-on about, and it takes longer than C-41 or B&W.

That's not to mention all the mixing to get right and math involved to mix smaller amounts, and clean up and storage.

I didn't bother replenishing due to the large amount of chemistry I had.

C-41 is MUCH easier. I think you can develop E-6 in C-41 chemistry, though you won't get chromes. I stocked up on Astia and now it's very difficult to find a quality E-6 line.

Unfortunately, my lab, LTI in New York, ceased its E-6 line a few months ago :(. I haven't found anyone who does it as well yet.

I had a Fuji-Hunt C-41 kit several years back which was quite good, but I like and think Kodak Flexicolor C-41 chemistry is better, and is cheaper.

With regard to the Fuji-Hunt E-6 kit, I'm not sure how many baths it is, but if it's only 3, it may not be up to snuff with professional standards; though it may be a much easier process to do at home.