PDA

View Full Version : Where to find LF B&W of Chicago city scenes?

Steve R
27-Apr-2005, 13:23
If this is a commercial request, then I apologize and understand if my post is removed. I found this site through Google.

I'd like to find LF B&W Photography of Chicago city scenery for use in my home. Photographs of skyline, Lake Michigan, Chicago River, Architecture, Wrigley field, Grant Park, etc. Could anyone recommend a source?

Thanks.

Steve
email: ST3412@aol.com

John Cook
27-Apr-2005, 14:19
A stock photo house might be a good source.

Their fee is usually based on usage. So, since you are not intending mass publication, the cost should be low. Although it could be too low to get them to talk to you.

My favorite is Bettman Archive in NYC. Many years ago, a local studio purchased several old gangster prints from 1930's and 40's films to decorate a local steak house. It had a Chicago gangster theme and was called The Steakout.

Bettman now has a retail website selling prints to the general public.

http://www.globalgallery.com/ggresult.asp?ref=overture&artistfull=bettman+archive

tim atherton
27-Apr-2005, 14:36
You might try contacting Bob Thall at Columbia College Chicago (I think)

He has produced a few books of photographs of Chicago and it's environs. Mind you, it's not really your usual "tourist" or Poster Shop views of Chicago (and may well sell for "gallery" prices) but it is excellent photography

Just Google "Bob Thall" for starters or check out Amazon or www.photoeye.com

Kirk Gittings
27-Apr-2005, 20:53
There is a gallery in Chicago that specializes in architectural art including the images of Hedrich Blessing. I forget the name of it. It is over by Gamma and the Schneider Gallery.

Kirk Gittings
27-Apr-2005, 22:48
Here it is:

http://www.architechgallery.com/

Will Strain
27-Apr-2005, 23:36
How about tracking down a relatively unknown chicago based LF photographer...

wink wink...etc.

Daniel Blakeslee
28-Apr-2005, 05:38
One of my favorite books of Chicago LF photography is Dave Jordano's ASSEMBLED WORKS. It deals mainly with the wonderful bridges and commercial structures of Chicago, but there is more to it than that. He uses to good advantage the ability of B&W to make a beautiful image from a subject that is basically pedestrian or ugly.