PDA

View Full Version : Shen Hao 5x7 and 4x5 lensboard and lenses

Luca Merlo
27-Apr-2005, 12:47
I bought few months ago a Shen Hao 4x5 camera and found it a very good product. I have equipped it with the following lenses:

Nikkor 90 SW F 8
Nikkor 135 W 5,6
Nikkor M 200 F 8
Nikkor M 300 F9

Now I wish to purchase a Shen hao 5x7 and I would like to know the following:

1) Are the two cameras using the same lens boards ?
2) Ia there anybody who has used the above lenses with a 5x7 camera and can tell me how they have worked?
3) Is there any dealer in the US which sells this camera ?

Nick_3536
27-Apr-2005, 13:03
1) I don't think so. But the 5x7 comes with an adaptor board that lets you use Linhof style boards. So the same boards will fit both cameras.

2) Not those lenses.

3) Not to the best of my knowledge. You'll have to order from the factory.

Gem Singer
27-Apr-2005, 14:31
Hi Luca,

According to Nikon, the lenses that you mentioned have large enough image circles to cover 5X7, with the exception of the 135W. I have used the 90SW and the 300M with the 5X7 format, and they are excellent performers.

You may be able to convince Jeff, at Badger Graphic, to special order a 5X7 Shen Hao for you. Jim, at Midwest won't order it, and I know of no other dealer who handles that camera in the U.S.A. I believe that it the 5X7 Shen Hao has an adapter for Linhof Tech-type boards.

Saulius
27-Apr-2005, 14:36
You might try going to this Shen-Hao User Group (http://www.phpbbforfree.com/forums/?mforum=shug ) to find more answers.

Luca Merlo
27-Apr-2005, 22:34
Many thanks to all of you. I will try with Jeff at Badger who has already helped me another couple of times.

Ciao

Herb Cunningham
28-Apr-2005, 09:09
I got a SH 5x7 from China, not a problem-you have to give a wire transfer of the purchase price upfront, which can be a little wierd, but the guy was early with his promised delivery of 60 days, and it is solid as a rock and pretty close in quality to Ebony. I have owned two Ebonys, still have an RW45, and they are better quality, but not a whole lot. Go to the SH users web site-they have a lot of stuff.

The guy in china was slow to respond to emails, but once I connected, he was next day in his answers. You have to use his $125 shipping cost, Fedex air, and he insists you get the case, which is very sturdy Aluminum, so if you can survive all that, I got the camera, 4x5 back, bag bellows, extra lens board, the conversion lens board, and paid the bank fees and shipping the whole deal came to right at $1500. or substantially less than Ebony.

I asked Jeff about getting this camera, and he was not able to at the time, which was January this year, I think.