PDA

View Full Version : Zone VI lens board question

Michael Lloyd
9-Sep-2016, 16:41
All of my lenses, except one, are mounted to Linhof boards. I have an adapter so I can use them on my Sinar(s). I recently picked up an apparently unused Zone VI 4x5 and it came with two lens boards but both are drilled for Copal 1 shutters. I put a Nikkor-W 210mm 1:5.6 on one of the lens boards that came with the camera. I have a 102° Grandagon-N 1:6.8 90mm lens on a Copal 0 shutter. It was mounted on a Linhof recessed lens board but I took it off. I've got a walnut lens board coming for the lens. It's drilled for the Copal 0. More on that in a second.

The Linhof boards can be mounted on the Zone VI but they aren't quite as large as the wooden boards. Can I use the Linhof boards with the Zone VI? I use them all the time on my Chamonix (waiting for repair parts otherwise the Zone VI might still be in it's case).

Back to the lens board and 90mm Grandagon-N. It was on a recessed lens board but I plan to mount it on the walnut board that I have coming. I have a bag bellows for the Zone VI but not being familiar with the Zone VI I don't know if I will be able to focus the 90mm lens if it's not recessed. Thoughts?

And just for the conversation of it- The other day I was looking for a Zone VI 8x10 in eBay and one popped up. It looked perfect, came with lenses, holders, bag, all kinds of stuff. Starting bid was $200.00 :confused: In the time it took me to watch the auction the item was "no longer available". Bummer...

cowanw
9-Sep-2016, 18:01
There is a plastic thickener/sizer to put the linhof board in. Try for example http://www.lg4mat.net/bio.html

Fred L
9-Sep-2016, 18:07
I had Richard Ritter make an adapter for Linhof boards for my Zone 4x5 camera which fits like a glove. As well, I use a 75 wide angle with a flat board, no issues. 65 is getting dicey. Before I got the 75, I used a 90 SA on a flat board, no bag bellows.

Michael Lloyd
9-Sep-2016, 18:07
Unfortunately Richard Ritter's Lens Board links are all dead.

Michael Lloyd
9-Sep-2016, 18:11
I had Richard Ritter make an adapter for Linhof boards for my Zone 4x5 camera which fits like a glove. As well, I use a 75 wide angle with a flat board, no issues. 65 is getting dicey. Before I got the 75, I used a 90 SA on a flat board, no bag bellows.

That's great to hear! I also have a 75, love that lens. I'm not in a bind to use the lenses mounted on the Linhof boards (except maybe the 75 but I'll give the 90 some time in the field). The back fell off of my Chamonix (parts on the way). Richard Ritter actually explains why he uses the back mount method that he uses on his 8x10 design on his website. It looks like he makes nice cameras

Doremus Scudder
10-Sep-2016, 09:55
I don't know exactly which Zone VI camera you have; the later Ritter-built or the earlier Wisner-built. I have the former. I think the lensboard is the same size for both, but I'm not sure about the front standard construction.

Anyway, I made an adapter (basically a shim with two strips of extra material to fill in the gaps) for my Zone VI. I also carefully filed the inside of the front standard down so that I can mount recessed Technika boards. This latter is a bit tricky and you could easily put a hole in the bellows if you're not careful, so really watch if you decide to go this route. The lensboard adapter is easier. I used Masonite and stripped layers off till it was the correct thickness, then glued two thin strips back on and painted the whole thing flat black.

Hope this helps,

Doremus

Keith Pitman
10-Sep-2016, 17:27
SK Grimes makes an adapter to mount Linhof type lensboards in the 4x4 opening of the later Zone VI as well as Wisner and Deardorff cameras. Looks like the picture. Wisner sold a plastic one, but it was a POS.

Peter Gomena
10-Sep-2016, 17:43
You will not need a recessed lens board if you are using a bag bellows with a zone VI camera.

Milton Tierney
11-Sep-2016, 08:29
I have a Zone VI and a Linhof camera. To get the Linhof lens board to work on my Zone VI, I made an gasket adapter from black electrical tap. Place the tapes sticky sides together so you do not get glue on the camera, add more tape for right thickness. Cut to right shape. Again, Do not put the tape on the camera.
If I need to use the Zone VI camera I just add the gasket, one gasket fits all. Been using the gasket for year, no issues.

Fred L
11-Sep-2016, 14:17
Should clarify the 75 lens. The front standard needs to be tilted back and the lens board tilted forward to make infinity. Otherwise the standards bump into each other when racked in. This is with regular bellows.

This is with the 75 Nikkor mounted on a Technika board on the Ritter adapter. Very clean and precise fit.

This is the Ritter adapter, machined from ABS I believe.