PDA

View Full Version : Scenics in Ohio

Scott Rosenberg
26-Apr-2005, 23:21
hey fellas,

i'll be in ohio over the first week in may and was wondering if there were any places to shoot landscapes or farmhouses within around 300 miles of dayton.

thanks!
scott

Leonard Evens
27-Apr-2005, 05:45
I spent a couple of days in Dayton recently. I scouted out the situation by studying the Ohio State Park and Nature Preserve web sites. I ended up focusing on the Little Miami River, which is a designated scenic waterway. There are a string of Parks and Nature preserves along it. I went to the John Bryan State Park, which has the Clifton Gorge Nature Preserve adjacent to it on the north. It is fairly close to Dayton, but can be tricky to find once you get off the interstate. So make sure you have a decent map and check the travel instructions at the web sites. I eventually had to stop and ask someone how to get to it.

I use a Baby Jogger to hold my equipment, and I found the going rough on the rocky trail by the river. Also, some of the paths down to the river would have been impossible for me with the Jogger. But there should be little problem if you proceed on foot with your equipment on your back. Because of the Jogger, I didn't get very far up the river from the Park entrance, but I did manage a couple of pictures, one of a waterfall and one of rapids. I was told that the place is great for wildflowers early in the Spring, but I didn't see many where I was. I glimpsed parts of the gorge from further up the river, and I think it might be quite impressive, but the time of day might be crucial because it is quite narrow.

I recommend this Park, but the Caesar Creek Park is further down the river and might also be interesting.

Last year I spent some time in Cincinatti, and despite the potential of the area, I didn't find much I wanted to photograph. I managed to cross the Ohio by accident and got lost on the other side of the river in Kentuchy, and passed through a picturesque area somewhere there. I was staying near the cincinatti U., and a day before leaving I found a small Botanic Garden directly across from the hotel, which, in the Spring, had some delightful scenes.

Ted Harris
27-Apr-2005, 07:17
If you are serious about being willing to travel 300 miles then that will take you almost anywhere in the state.

Southeaset of Dayton not to far from Circlevill you have another area and State Park called Old man's Cave that is very nice. If you want to scout old barns and farms then drive across 23 heading to Vinto County in the Southeast part of the state. That is th eleast populated part of the state and most agricultural. In that area and along the Ohio river you will find many old settlements.

Tom Westbrook
27-Apr-2005, 07:23
I haven't been there, but I hear the Hocking Hills area is nice. There have some nice waterfalls around there, judging from web photos. See www.hockinghills.com/welcome.htm (http://www.hockinghills.com/welcome.htm) and others (via google). Yahoo maps says it's about 125 driving miles each way. I would guess if you took the back roads, a farmhouse or two wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

Gem Singer
27-Apr-2005, 07:25
Hi Scott,

Plenty of nice pastural scenes along the road between Dayton and Columbus, including my brother-in-law's farm. There is the USAF museum, with outdoor aircraft displays, at the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, in Dayton, if you are interested in that type of subject. Also, some interesting scenery along the river right there in Dayton, from what I remember about it. You really don't need to drive 300 miles to find unique scenery, unless you want to drive to West Virginia to see hills and valleys. Not much exciting scenery to photograph heading South to in Cincinatti, either. Say high to Jim for me, at Midwest Photo in Columbus.

francisco_5406
27-Apr-2005, 08:14
Isn't senic photography in Ohio an oxymoron?

Donald Hutton
27-Apr-2005, 08:16
Hate to sound like a stuck record, but, give Jim a call at MPex - it's his backyard as far as shooting goes...

Ted Harris
27-Apr-2005, 09:38
Don makes a good point ... hey you might even want to shott from Jim's backyard! You cwrtainly may want to make a pilgramage to Columbus and the drive from Dayton is about an hour and a half.

Chuck_1686
27-Apr-2005, 11:27
Sort of a drive but the Hocking Hills area south east of Columbus is nice. Closer are John Bryan SP, Clifton Gorge Nature Preserve, Glen Helen Park in Yellow Springs, Caesar Creek SP and Caesar Creek Gorge Nature Preserve, and to the west Hueston Woods SP and Nature Preserve. All nice midwestern parks. At least in the fall when I usually visit them. I'd do the Hocking Hills area first. They have several different areas. I like to think that Ohio is beautiful but maybe you have to be born there.

Bill McMannis
27-Apr-2005, 13:23
Scott: A couple things come to mind, having grown up in Cincinnati. First, try Serpent Mound about an hour east of Cincinnati. This time of year should be great with trees greening up. Try not to go there during school field trips.

Mount Adams is a blast up from the river on the east side of Cincinnati. Lots of neat buildings to shoot and great views of Cincinnati and Kentucky across the river.

It can be a bit dicey, but I really enjoy photographing Fountain Square in downtown Cincinnati. If you do this one, you may want to have someone keep an eye on you and your equipment as you work.

There are some classic Cincinnati Skyline shots from across the river.

Eden Park immediately north of town is scenic as anything you will find in Ohio and Ohio is scenic. The art museum is good one for exterior photography. Try the nearby Krohn Conservatory. Really neat outside, bit tight to photograph flowers indoors and I do not know if cameras are still allowed.

The Union Terminal just off I-75 near downtown is the last of the great train terminals built in this country. This is a building that screams to be photographed in LF. Thinking about it, if you only follow one of my suggestions, put this as the one. Early morning is best. The neighborhood can be tough.

Let me know how it comes out and have some Gold Star Chili while in town.

Scott Rosenberg
27-Apr-2005, 22:02
hey fellas, thanks for all the suggestions. you've pointed me to many possibilities that i would have otherwise missed!

Bob Phipps
28-Apr-2005, 08:40
Scott,
How about the Cuyahoga National Rec Area east of Cleveland and Akron. It is a riverine national park area.

The Hocking Hills State Park is divided into five areas of great beauty. Look at website www.1800hocking.com for info. Ash Cave [water/wind eroded snadstone cave], Cedar Falls, Old Man's Cave [upper ande lower falls], Cantwell Cliffs [gorge views], Rock House [tunnel-like corridor up the side of a 150-foot cliff]. The park covers about 25 miles of area on 2-3 different state/county roads. It is well worth the trip. Logan, OH is the jumping off point [south east of Columbus on US RT 33]. Logan has whitewater canoe and rafting too. I70 east to I270 south and east around Columbus to US 33 sout east off I270 through Lancaster to Logan.

Dayton has a new Audubon Society bird refuge, and Columbus has MANY parks of note. Blacklick Woods [Reynoldsburg onI77 east of Columbus ] has a swamp/boardwalk and pond. Wildflowers abound now.

North of Dayton on Lake Erie via I75 you'll find Cedar Point N.W.Refuge, Ottawa N.W.R., and Crane Creek S.P. These are marshy areas with migratory bird life. Warblers sould be in great numbers when you are in Ohio. The drive inbetween is farm land [off the interstate].

If you wish Amish country, try Walnut Creek/Sugar Creek/Berlin area of I77 north of Cambridge. I70 from Dayton to Cambridge then north on I77 to Dover, then follow signs.

I'm a West Virginian living on the banks of the Ohio River and visit these areas often. Hocking Hills is the best recommendation, but go during the week - weekends forget. School kids have trips in May during the week, so I would call the state park hotline for info.
Best wishes, and have a great trip.
Bob

James Nasuta
28-Apr-2005, 17:15
I live in Independence, KY (12 miles due south of Cincinnati). I'd be happy to show you places along the Ohio River and Great Miami River. Email me if you're interested and we can set up a meet. It would give me an excuse to take some photos as well.

Jim