PDA

View Full Version : Best way to convert Berlebach tripod from 1/4 to 3/8 (for Sinar equipment)

lharby
5-Sep-2016, 14:29
Hi

I just bought a Berlabach tripod (bargain), as well as a Sinar pan/tilt head (small fortune).

It looks as though the Sinar is 3/8 thread which I would expect, but the Berlebach seems to have a 1/4 thread.

My question is, would it be better/simpler/cheaper etc to buy a small convertor (only what depth should it be).

Or is it possible to buy a new component part from Berlebach?

154640 154641

I don't know the model, but the base plate has a longish pin running through it, so not sure of that whole thing has to be replaced. This is from the listing:

Jac@stafford.net
5-Sep-2016, 14:43
The solution is elementary. All you you need is a 1/4" to 3/8" bushing, widely available, very inexpensive.

Buy a bunch (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-to-3-8-Metal-Camera-Tripod-Monopod-Screw-Adapter-Bushing-Thread-US9-/162192284501?hash=item25c369db55:g:Bn8AAOSwgApW~ds3), and be happy. :)

Luis-F-S
5-Sep-2016, 14:51
The Best way is to buy the Berlebach center base plate with the 3/8" thread. They are not interchangeable and come with the size you order. You can order it from the US distributor, or B&H may also carry it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/372125-REG/Berlebach_32060_Extra_Short_Center_Column.html

Greg
5-Sep-2016, 14:51
Am not familiar with the Berlabach tripod, but first check that the tripod screw isn't reversible to a 3/8"... lot of tripods are. Get the best 1/4" to 3/8" adapter that you can find. The couple of extra dollars well spent to insure that the adapter doesn't break. A friend once used a very cheap shallow adapter and it broke with the camera falling off the tripod.

plaubel
5-Sep-2016, 15:00
Second problem could be, that the Sinar thread is too short ( to deep) for the Berlebach bolt.
Exactly this happened to another photographer, some days ago.
In this case, Berlebach seems to sell not so expensive parts.

In this case, feel free to contact me, if you need some language support.

Ritchie

Ron789
5-Sep-2016, 15:00

As Jac said, all you need is such a bushing. This is what it looks like. i use this to mount a Sinar F on a Berlebach and it works fine.

Bob Salomon
5-Sep-2016, 15:08
Am not familiar with the Berlabach tripod, but first check that the tripod screw isn't reversible to a 3/8"... lot of tripods are. Get the best 1/4" to 3/8" adapter that you can find. The couple of extra dollars well spent to insure that the adapter doesn't break. A friend once used a very cheap shallow adapter and it broke with the camera falling off the tripod.
It isn't reversible. It comes with whatever size thread it was ordered with. Best just get a professional quality ¼ to ⅜" adapter like a Linhof or a Sinar one that has adequate thread length and is not made from aluminum. The Linhof one is about ⅝" long and is made of brass.

pjd
5-Sep-2016, 20:43
https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=reparaturen&sprache=english

lharby
6-Sep-2016, 00:04
Thanks, I think I will invest in the Sinar or Linhof's. The thought of the camera snapping off is nightmarish.

Ron789
6-Sep-2016, 05:26
Good decision!
Just one more thing to watch: is the (round) base plate of your Berlebach tripod the same size as the (round) base of the Sinar?
If the tripod base plate is the same size or larger than the Sinar base, you're fine.
If the Sinar base is larger than the tripod base, the setup will be unstable. That's the situation I had. To fix that, I insert a simple round piece of mat board between the tripod and the camera to ensure a stable connection.
See photo's:

Peter De Smidt
6-Sep-2016, 05:41
The mat board is strong enough?

Jac@stafford.net
6-Sep-2016, 06:09
is the (round) base plate of your Berlebach tripod the same size as the (round) base of the Sinar?

I'm not sure of the one pictured, but on one of my heads those three fasteners are hex-heads that can be firmly snugged against a head that has recesses. They are accessible from the underside.

LabRat
6-Sep-2016, 06:30
Or if all else looks unclear, making a thicker wood or metal disc that fits between head and mtg plate, that might be drilled a little off-center so that the head is secured to the disc with a bolt, and the disc attaches to the mounting plate bolt with a tapped hole (for a metal disc or square, triangle, etc), or for wood, a T-nut in the wood that will hold the center bolt... That would do, and be very strong...

Steve K

Ron789
6-Sep-2016, 08:24
The mat board is strong enough?
As long as the difference between the 2 diameters is small (just a few mm) it's good enough. It wears, but then I simply cut a new one.
Should the difference in diameter be larger then a metal disk would obviously be better, just like LabRat explained.

lharby
6-Sep-2016, 08:28
I took the precaution of emailing Berlebach to ask their advice and they have pointed me to this:

https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=32&sprache=english

Ron789
6-Sep-2016, 08:35
I'm not sure of the one pictured, but on one of my heads those three fasteners are hex-heads that can be firmly snugged against a head that has recesses. They are accessible from the underside.

The recess is too deep and/or the fasteners are too short; they fall out before they engage with the head. And it's more cumbersome than the mat board.

lharby
7-Sep-2016, 00:55
It turns out the Sinar pan tilt head also has a 1/4 screw. I've ordered a few bushings for now.

It's funny as the only time I have ever come across equipment using 1/4 was an old Kiev MF camera I had. I did not think there was that much use for 1/4 everything else of mine has been 3/8.

Luis-F-S
7-Sep-2016, 18:31
It turns out the Sinar pan tilt head also has a 1/4 screw. I've ordered a few bushings for now.

Really? Mine has 3/8 threads. I threw away the 1/4/20 adaptor that the guy I bought it from had put in it. L

Jac@stafford.net
7-Sep-2016, 19:02
It's funny as the only time I have ever come across equipment using 1/4 was an old Kiev MF camera

Clearly you have not come about some Deardorff nor Linhof LF cameras, but you might eventually.

David Lindquist
7-Sep-2016, 19:12
Clearly you have not come about some Deardorff nor Linhof LF cameras, but you might eventually.

My Linhof Master Technika 3000 uses 3/8-16 threads. Of course that's a sample size of one.:)
David

Len Middleton
8-Sep-2016, 08:01
My Linhof Master Technika 3000 uses 3/8-16 threads. Of course that's a sample size of one.:)
David

Adding to the sample size, my Technika V 4x5 uses the 1/4"-20 thread for both bed mount and body mount...

Luis-F-S
8-Sep-2016, 09:31
The Best way is to buy the Berlebach center base plate with the 3/8" thread. They are not interchangeable and come with the size you order.

You did ask for the "Best way...." which is what I answered above, and what I did with my own tripod. The cheapest way is to get a cheap adapter.

Jac@stafford.net
8-Sep-2016, 17:46
Ach! A 1/4 x 20 thread achieves plenty of torque, holding strength. Impressionism be darned.