PDA

View Full Version : Sato exhibit

Leonard Evens
26-Apr-2005, 13:10
I finally got around to seeing the Sato exhibit at the Art Institute in Chicago. Aside from the obvious comments about the beauty and mind bending quality of the work, I notced several other things. First the images were on some sort of translucent material with lighting from behind. This made the light spots and traces appear as pure light. In addition the tonal quality was enhanced. Even forgetting the moving lights, it must have required a lot of work to choose exposure time necessary for the perfect balance of light and dark. Secondly, the detail present in the images made me feel like rushing out and getting an 8 x 10 set up. The display images were 32 x 40, a mere 4 X enlargement, and you could see every single detail no matter how close you got. Finally, for these gallery display images, Sato seemed reluctant to give up anything at all in his negatives. The dark edges from the film holders were apparent with a few places where the image went all the way to edge of the frame because of gaps in the holders. In addition, in one picture, made with a wide angle lens, his movements resulted in a shadow in one corner, which he left in place.

Bill_1856
26-Apr-2005, 16:35
A couple of years ago, AIC had an ill-lit exhibit of late Edward Weston photographs in their basement. Is there something peculiar there about priorities?

Ken Lee
26-Apr-2005, 17:37
Could someone provide a link to some of Sato's images ?

Will Strain
26-Apr-2005, 21:19
photoarts.com/gallery/SATO/satoexh.html (http://photoarts.com/gallery/SATO/satoexh.html)

It's a gorgeous exhibit - as is the current exhibit of contemporary dutch photographers they have in the touring exhibition space on the main levels.

Will Strain
26-Apr-2005, 21:21
edit// looking at the image link I posted, some of those are in the exhibit, others are not, and there are some hanging that do not show here... and actually, the ones in the show, seem to be of a higher aesthetic quality to my eyes...

cheers.

John Kasaian
26-Apr-2005, 23:55
WOW! How cool is this? Painting with light using mirrors! Neat!