PDA

View Full Version : What 5x7 fibre (fiber) based paper?

dimento
2-Sep-2016, 07:59
Have had the makings of a darkroom for the last few months and keen to do some contact printing, aside from Ilford are there any other brands of fibre-based paper i should look at? I have some ideas for print sales and expect lots of failures so price is key. Preferable something that can be bought online

cheers

D

koraks
2-Sep-2016, 08:36
Adox and Foma both make affordable papers, including fiber-based. For testing, you may consider using RC. 5x7" seems to be the most attractive in terms of price/surface area.

Willie
2-Sep-2016, 17:25
Why not go with the best? Lodima, from http://www.michaelandpaula.com website

It is a silver chloride contact printing paper. Very good to work with. Makes for fewer mistakes and has an excellent tonal range. If you are going to print why not od a good job of it from the start?

koraks
3-Sep-2016, 01:28
Well, price is key he said and Lodima isn't necessarily very cheap. Especially if you also want to have it shipped to Europe. I'd love to try that paper though.

dimento
3-Sep-2016, 04:05
thanks guys, good info to be going on with

Willie
3-Sep-2016, 04:28
Well, price is key he said and Lodima isn't necessarily very cheap. Especially if you also want to have it shipped to Europe. I'd love to try that paper though.

I read the price information. But, why not use a better paper so you know what quality results look like?
He says he expects a lot of failures. The Lodima, like Azo makes it easier to get good results so you have fewer failures. Ends up costing less as a result.

Greg Y
3-Sep-2016, 06:51
What Willie said. The tonal range of Lodima (& Azo) is amazing.

koraks
3-Sep-2016, 07:58
I read the price information. But,
He says he expects a lot of failures. The Lodima, like Azo makes it easier to get good results so you have fewer failures. Ends up costing less as a result.
Well, who knows, but I'm skeptical that the amount of waste will magically go down by 50%-75% (justifying the price difference) just by using a graded silver chloride paper. But again, I'd love to give it a try to see what you and some others (but not all) say about it looking much nicer than enlarger papers.

dimento
4-Sep-2016, 00:19
I imagine that once I've done a few I might look at the Lodima paper or similar, any touch of quality to set work apart is always welcome. I guess the price issue is also related to all the other bits n pieces I'm gathering to get started. I sold my darkroom (for a song) about 4 years ago (yeah I know).

Which or whether I'm looking forward to it, thanks for all the input fellas- appreciated as always

peter schrager
4-Sep-2016, 11:54
Lodima us NOT enlarging paper. .it's contact print only
Try the foma papers. .I personally like #132 #132
Slightly warm but beautiful surface...