PDA

View Full Version : info on this Century 8x10

Liquid Artist
1-Sep-2016, 15:01
I just bought the Century 8x10 found here.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/232058671357
Now I am hoping that someone here knows more about it than I do.

The main questions I have it the lens board a common size?

Plus does someone know the size of the ground glass?

I assume that it's a Century View no. 1, however I've been wrong before. Does anyone have any idea of it's age?

My plans are just to use it for now, assuming that there are no major light leaks or anything else that needs fixing first. Then restore it soon, replacing the bellows at the same time.

Jac@stafford.net
2-Sep-2016, 06:44
A ruler will answer your questions.
Lensboards are easy to make yourself.

Good luck! I do see a new bellows in your near future.

Liquid Artist
2-Sep-2016, 09:34
Thank you Jac,
I was kinda hoping on ordering the gg before I see it and replacing it right away. Although it may not be as bad as it looks.

I think that I can handel a new bellows soon, and am looking forward to the restoration.

Jac@stafford.net
2-Sep-2016, 14:36
[...] and am looking forward to the restoration.

Me too!

Steven Tribe
3-Sep-2016, 12:05
You wil find the Century view no. 1 here (and similar Century cameras!).

http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/century/cent1.htm

It looks like the bellows need to be restuck on the rear standard. A lot of cosmetic work but looks sound - including the bellows.
Century started at the turn of 19/20th century (hence the name) were bought up by George Eastmann quite soon afterwards.

ic-racer
3-Sep-2016, 13:52
Looks like you got a good deal on something that can be very usable. I used my Century for a year or so before getting a Shen-Hao.
Before and after pictures of mine:

ic-racer
3-Sep-2016, 13:55
Restoration thread (all the pictures are gone, however).
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?29267-Here-we-go-Century-8x10-Restoration

Jac@stafford.net
3-Sep-2016, 15:17
Looks like you got a good deal on something that can be very usable. I used my Century for a year or so before getting a Shen-Hao.
Before and after pictures of mine:
[... please see original post ...]

Beautiful, or as a friend says, "Nice furniture" and I hope that's a good thing. Excellent work.

General questions - I have one with a circular badge that says simply "Century 1". Is yours earlier?
And, how did you remove the riveted brass pivot part on the back's side?

Thanks for any help.

ic-racer
3-Sep-2016, 18:07
Beautiful, or as a friend says, "Nice furniture" and I hope that's a good thing. Excellent work.

General questions - I have one with a circular badge that says simply "Century 1". Is yours earlier?
And, how did you remove the riveted brass pivot part on the back's side?

Thanks for any help.

Not sure if mine is earlier or later.

Too bad all the images from my restoration thread are gone. Here is one of the pictures showing some original hardware on the left and things I found or made on the right. The bottom shows the threaded rivet replacement I used after drilling out the original.

Liquid Artist
8-Sep-2016, 11:13
It arrived today, at least a week sooner than I expected.

For the most part it is in better shape than I expected.
The bellows is firmly attached on both ends. It is rather dry, and the corners may have some pinholes. However it isn't torn, and will probably work for now with very little work.

There is a couple knobs missing, but I have more hardware missing from my B&J, which is much newer.

There is one small piece of wood missing from the rail.

I still don't know when it was made, but the front emblem is there, which may make it easier looking up.

I will orobably take a couple photos with it as it is then talk to my cabinet maker uncle really nicely about restoring it.

Ari
8-Sep-2016, 11:26
Congratulations, nice camera.
I've made the mistake before, in my excitement, of ordering replacement parts like a GG or bellows, before receiving the camera.
eBay is a good source for both, and I can recommend Rudy for good, economical, replacement bellows (ecbuyonline).
I recently picked up two 4x5 GGs for my Toyo at a good price from this seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231891874547?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
He may offer 8x10 glass as well.

Liquid Artist
8-Sep-2016, 11:29
I just found a sticker hidden in the rear stand .

ic-racer
8-Sep-2016, 12:48
Mine had broken rails also.

ic-racer
8-Sep-2016, 12:50
I routed the damaged wood and glued in new wood.

Liquid Artist
8-Sep-2016, 13:24
I think that I had noticed that earlier, and think that you did a great job ic racer

although I think that mine arrived in better shape than yours, I really won't know until it's all pulled apart and inspected.

I am looking at it now, and wondering how to stick a packard shutter in like in the link Steve posted.

I got the film holders already, will probably order some x-ray film tomorrow, and will hopefully be buying a lens from Ari soon. Life is good.

Jac@stafford.net
8-Sep-2016, 13:39
I just bought the Century 8x10

Please measure the ground glass you need. I might have one ready made from Kodak that I got in a lot. It is yours for the shipping $.

Liquid Artist
19-Sep-2016, 18:16
I tried cleaning it with Murphy Oil Soap and Brasso brass polish.

It's cleaning up better than I could have imagined.
I know that it isn't perfect, but I am happy with the results and don't think that I'll have to do a full restoration.

I have found a little more cracked wood, but nothing all that bad to fix or replace.

The bellows is full of pinholes. So I will probably just replace it before using it.

John Kasaian
23-Sep-2016, 16:33
Cool!