PDA

View Full Version : Misguided KODAK advertising

Tin Can
1-Sep-2016, 09:16
KODAK does not know it's Market.

I just got the below in an email. Nothing I would consider buying from the Fading Yellow Father.

http://emailslink.kodak.com/YesConnect/HtmlMessagePreview?VfYbhyeYF_zAxQPK4Hjr85AFZF1cv__0qEvfonSFoKg=.enc

Alan Gales
1-Sep-2016, 09:45
What, Randy? You don't need a baby monitoring system? ;)

Tin Can
1-Sep-2016, 09:50
What, Randy? You don't need a baby monitoring system? ;)

Not that I know of.

My grandchildren are teenagers...

DrTang
1-Sep-2016, 10:14
Kodak Photo Paper - is ink jet paper

oy

Tin Can
1-Sep-2016, 10:23
Kodak Photo Paper - is ink jet paper

oy

Yes, KODAK no longer makes SG paper, but they also failed to offer FILM.

This is direct advertising.

Mark Sampson
1-Sep-2016, 10:26
Sadly reminiscent of Polaroid after its bankruptcy. EK has sold batteries since the 1980s, not sure who made them but they weren't made in Rochester. We inside the company did use them, of course; their rechargeable AAs powered much of our photo gear. Kodak shut down their paper mill c.2005 so you can be sure the inkjet paper isn't really theirs either. Sic transit gloria mundi, I guess.

sperdynamite
1-Sep-2016, 10:41
If putting their name on random products helps pay to keep the Portra, Ektar, and Tri-X coming then I'm all for it.

Alan Gales
1-Sep-2016, 11:00
Not that I know of.

Ronnie Wood just had twin baby girls. You are a Rock Star Randy. Go for it! ;)

Tin Can
1-Sep-2016, 11:07
Ronnie Wood just had twin baby girls. You are a Rock Star Randy. Go for it! ;)

:)

W K Longcor
1-Sep-2016, 11:32
Can not speak for the baby monitors, but I have found the "heavy duty" batteries to be very light duty and of rather poor quality.

Alan Gales
1-Sep-2016, 11:45
Can not speak for the baby monitors, but I have found the "heavy duty" batteries to be very light duty and of rather poor quality.

Thanks for the heads up.

I use Eneloops. They are said to be the best. If you catch Energizers on sale, they aren't bad either.

Mark Sampson
1-Sep-2016, 12:40
Remember, in the '80s Kodak owned Bayer aspirin for a while. That was said to be 'diversification' to avoid possible hostile takeovers.
This sort of stuff is nothing new- but in the distant past, when EK had something made for them, it was photo-related and of high quality. Oh well.

Tin Can
1-Sep-2016, 13:05
Remember, in the '80s Kodak owned Bayer aspirin for a while. That was said to be 'diversification' to avoid possible hostile takeovers.
This sort of stuff is nothing new- but in the distant past, when EK had something made for them, it was photo-related and of high quality. Oh well.

I lost my good career 2008. Now I bug you guys. :)

Sal Santamaura
1-Sep-2016, 17:02
...KODAK no longer makes SG paper...Yes it does, tons of it. RA-4 color paper. Just not black and white paper.

Tin Can
1-Sep-2016, 17:22
Yes it does, tons of it. RA-4 color paper. Just not black and white paper.

That must be a new process. :)

All I see is Fuji and Aristacolor.

Here it says discontinued. Where do you buy it? http://www.freestylephoto.biz/8469686-Kodak-Professional-Supra-Endura-RA-4-Color-Paper-16x20-50-sheets-(F)

Jerry Bodine
1-Sep-2016, 17:31
Not that I know of.

That's what I tell the IRS: "I have no kids, to speak of." :rolleyes:

Sal Santamaura
1-Sep-2016, 17:38
...All I see is Fuji and Aristacolor.

Here it says discontinued. Where do you buy it?...I don't buy it. However, anyone who wants to has many choices here:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Kodak&ci=801&N=4288586367+4291384683

Sheets were discontinued some time ago, but rolls continue to be offered.

Tin Can
1-Sep-2016, 18:12
I stand corrected.

What I find interesting is Costco nearly matches color prints between wet Frontier with Fuji Crystal to Epson Inkjet also using a dry Fuji paper.

I don't buy it. However, anyone who wants to has many choices here:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Kodak&ci=801&N=4288586367+4291384683

Sheets were discontinued some time ago, but rolls continue to be offered.

David Lobato
1-Sep-2016, 19:16

"heavy duty" are not alkaline batteries, but the old carbon cell batteries before Alkalines came around. That's why they are cheap, and die so soon.

Stephen Thomason
1-Sep-2016, 23:10
Well, I suspect those who are purchasing baby monitors now most likely don't have a clue as to what to do with film. Who needs film when they have their iPhones??

Admittedly, most if not all of my "snapshots" are indeed with my iPhone, since it is with me pretty much always, but I also carry a film Nikon in my vehicle. Just in case something really nice might appear and make a good black and white print. For pure pleasure I use medium and large format B&W.

Come to think of it, I don't believe I have ever had anything actually printed from the iPhone snapshots - those images just meander around in cyberspace. Ahhh, silver is forever. Bits come and go. I wonder if there could be a business model for large scale transferring of digital images to archival film??????????? Surely someone somewhere is considering it. Might be a good project for someone with enough years ahead of them to work it out.

Alan Gales
2-Sep-2016, 08:32
"heavy duty" are not alkaline batteries, but the old carbon cell batteries before Alkalines came around. That's why they are cheap, and die so soon.

People still use those? :confused: I thought everyone had gone to rechargeable batteries by now.

BrianShaw
2-Sep-2016, 08:46
Nope. Not yet.

bob carnie
2-Sep-2016, 08:59
Well, I suspect those who are purchasing baby monitors now most likely don't have a clue as to what to do with film. Who needs film when they have their iPhones??

Admittedly, most if not all of my "snapshots" are indeed with my iPhone, since it is with me pretty much always, but I also carry a film Nikon in my vehicle. Just in case something really nice might appear and make a good black and white print. For pure pleasure I use medium and large format B&W.

Come to think of it, I don't believe I have ever had anything actually printed from the iPhone snapshots - those images just meander around in cyberspace. Ahhh, silver is forever. Bits come and go. I wonder if there could be a business model for large scale transferring of digital images to archival film??????????? Surely someone somewhere is considering it. Might be a good project for someone with enough years ahead of them to work it out.

Yes we are in final stages of exactly this.

Tin Can
2-Sep-2016, 09:03
I use a lot of Eneloop to save money and waste, but they are lower voltage and some devices are sensitive to that and require full voltage Duracell.

I tried Costco 'same as Duracell almost' but not even close and they are dangerous.

I found lots of the Costco brand AAA leaking in remotes. I went on a hunt and ended up cleaning many devices of the old 'Leaky Battery Syndrome' that destroyed gear in the past. I guess the Past is still here...

This is not an Anti Costco rant, but watch out for their store brand batteries.

BrianShaw
2-Sep-2016, 09:14
Yes we are in final stages of exactly this.the US government has been doing so since the dawn of the digital era. Or so I've been told by what I believed to be a reliable source.

bob carnie
2-Sep-2016, 09:22
the US government has been doing so since the dawn of the digital era. Or so I've been told by what I believed to be a reliable source.

We are making high resolution silver gelatin films, up to 30 x40 inch for contact process. This includes multiple separations of cmyk, rgb, as well tonal separations of different regions within a black and white image.

I would love to hear how the US government figured out how to do this.

Alan Gales
2-Sep-2016, 09:26

I've never tried Costco batteries but in the past I've found store brand batteries from other stores to be sub par. I stuck with Duracell or Energizers for alkaline batteries but now use rechargeables. They save me a bundle.

Stephen Thomason
2-Sep-2016, 09:55
Agree with Randy's post about the Costco (Kirkland) batteries. Very leaky and ruinous of equipment. I will be inquiring of them if they guarantee equipment replacement as does Duracell in the event of battery damage.

I am otherwise very pleased with Costco and continue to be a member/customer.

I am now moving to strictly Eneloops in AA and AAA. I have used them for years and they have never leaked. Considering the cost of replacing stuff ruined by leaky batteries, the cost of the Eneloops pales to insignificance. Just be sure to get a quality charger (in the $100 bracket or so for a 12 position multi-size one) - they are worth it.

faberryman
2-Sep-2016, 10:05
Not sure how the advertising is misguided. Kodak has some stuff they can't move so they put it on sale. What is misguided is that they offered it to begin with.

Two23
2-Sep-2016, 15:51
I used to buy the Kodak "pre-charged" rechargeables. They are the same type as the eneloops. I got several years out of them, but they finally began losing ability to recharge. I now use Ray-o-Vac low discharge rechargeables. I tested them side by side with two sets of eneloops and found no difference. I own and use something like 72 rechargeable AA. I have 9 or 10 Nikon SB-25 flash (2 are SB-900) plus about ten CyberSync triggers. Those alone take about 60 AA batteries, and I always have sets of spares along. I use these flash mostly in winter; very cold here. I take photos of trains at night. The Ray-o-Vacs are doing very well. When it starts getting down right frigid (-20F) I put Energizer lithium AA in the triggers.

Kent in SD

vdonovan
2-Sep-2016, 17:41
Early in post-bankruptcy, Kodak Inc. made some badly-needed money by licensing its name to products made by other manufacturers. Some of the products in the "summer" advertisement- the batteries and light bulbs and baby monitors and video camera - are licencees. So they are generating $$$ for Kodak without requiring any R&D. I imagine that their licensing agreement requires Kodak to do some promotion on their web site.

Kodak Inc, of course, can't advertise film for still photography on its web page. Nor can they put that stuff on sale. All the rights for marketing and selling film for still photography are owned by Kodak Alaris.

vdonovan
2-Sep-2016, 17:45
What I want to know is when can I get this stuff:
http://www.kodak.com/ek/us/en/Consumer/Products/Branded_Merchandise/default.htm#

Tin Can
2-Sep-2016, 18:06
Corporate voodoo.

Is an Edsel not a Ford?

Early in post-bankruptcy, Kodak Inc. made some badly-needed money by licensing its name to products made by other manufacturers. Some of the products in the "summer" advertisement- the batteries and light bulbs and baby monitors and video camera - are licencees. So they are generating $$$ for Kodak without requiring any R&D. I imagine that their licensing agreement requires Kodak to do some promotion on their web site.

Kodak Inc, of course, can't advertise film for still photography on its web page. Nor can they put that stuff on sale. All the rights for marketing and selling film for still photography are owned by Kodak Alaris.

HMG
3-Sep-2016, 09:05
I use a lot of Eneloop to save money and waste, but they are lower voltage and some devices are sensitive to that and require full voltage Duracell.

I tried Costco 'same as Duracell almost' but not even close and they are dangerous.

I found lots of the Costco brand AAA leaking in remotes. I went on a hunt and ended up cleaning many devices of the old 'Leaky Battery Syndrome' that destroyed gear in the past. I guess the Past is still here...

I have not yet found any brand battery that doesn't leak - Duracell, Energizer, Ray-o-vac. The exception has been the Duracell and Energizer "Industrial" branded batteries. I've been told that these are the same, other than packaging, but for whatever reason I've never had one leak.

As to those Kodak products, no doubt some MBA somewhere figured out that emails are essentially free. So why not send to you. Of course, they didn't connect the dots and understand that there are different markets.

Remember Polaroid? The brand name of this once great company was purchased by Tom Peters and slapped on whatever product they could import cheap. Kodak is doing that to itself.

Armin Seeholzer
3-Sep-2016, 14:06
As many big companies they don't know what they are doing most of the time just the wrong thing!

Drew Wiley
6-Sep-2016, 11:41
I just threw out a couple of gadgets due to leaking Duracell batteries, only about a year old. One problem the general public is unaware of, is that up to a third of
these brand-name batteries are counterfeit. You can't spot them because they get mixed in with the real deal prior to shipment.

Duolab123
10-Sep-2016, 17:49
I just threw out a couple of gadgets due to leaking Duracell batteries, only about a year old. One problem the general public is unaware of, is that up to a third of
these brand-name batteries are counterfeit. You can't spot them because they get mixed in with the real deal prior to shipment.

Kirkland and Duracell AA are terrible these things weld themselves into Maglites. I will never use them again, leak on discharge etc.

Kodak licenses it's name to the highest bidder. Just like Polaroid, they don't have much to do with any of this stuff.

I would be amazed if Eastman Kodak Co. distributes any of this junk, they just get a nickle on the dollar

"Sourced Product" is a different story. It's is like Nikon having Cosina make cameras. It is distributed by Nikon. They are still junk but it's different :-)

I just pray that somehow Kodak can keep making the film products for Alaris that is currently being offered. AND that Ilford can keep making paper and film. I'm also praying for Fuji and Ferrania but that will be a miracle.

On the bright side today I inherited a bunch of old cans and bottles of Kodak chemicals and sundries. FULL 1 qt glass bottle of Rapid Se. toner . Cans of developers etc Happy, Happy Joy
Best Mike

Peter Collins
11-Sep-2016, 17:45
Randy, if your grandchildren are teenagers, then your son/daughter needs a monitor for sure.

Tin Can
11-Sep-2016, 17:56
What do you mean?

Sir.

Randy, if your grandchildren are teenagers, then your son/daughter needs a monitor for sure.

Jmarmck
11-Sep-2016, 18:02

I have several high dollar guitars with powered pickups. I don't use them on the acoustics. I take the batteries out and remove the holders to keep anyone from loaning new ones. I have a high dollar tuner that now only operates on AC power adaptor thanks to leaky batteries. I have taken the batteries out of all my camera gear.

Drew Wiley
12-Sep-2016, 13:11
Unless you're continuously using some device, the batteries should always be pulled prior to storage. Of course, now we also have the miracle of cheapo lithium batteries, just in case you prefer your whole house burning down instead.