PDA

View Full Version : Silver Nitrate grades, value, storage, source and DEA questions

Tin Can
1-Sep-2016, 08:56
How pure do we need Silver Nitrate?

How to do determine best value?

How is it best stored and how long will it last stored?

Are we allowed to to name sources?

DEA regulation?

Oren Grad
1-Sep-2016, 11:47
How pure do we need Silver Nitrate?

Which uses do you have in mind?

Are we allowed to to name sources?

Yes.

Tin Can
1-Sep-2016, 12:03
Salt prints. Denise Ross film and glass plate emulsions as posted on her website.

Right now I only know of 2 sources. Photograghy Forumlary and a Salt Lake City firm.

I have bought from PF for years. Good products.

Pricing varies. Purity is not clearly defined by 'recipes' or vendor.

This stuff is so expensive I don't want to make mistakes in sourcing.

I do know I will make lots of mistakes learning the processes. That's where the fun is. :)

Which uses do you have in mind?

Yes.

Vaughn
1-Sep-2016, 12:10
I have always gotten it from Bostick and Sullivan: Silver Nitrate Reagent Grade

Price depends on the amount; currrent prices on their website are from $1.35 down to $1.10 per gram. However, in the past there was a limit that they could mail without extra (hazardous material) shipping charges. We never needed too much at a time, so generally it was not a problem...perhaps 25 grams. But it has been several years...used for salt prints.

Tin Can
1-Sep-2016, 12:53
OK I ordered some. PF made me sign a DEA form for 10 grams. http://www.saltlakemetals.com/ did not. I find that odd!

Googled Reagent Grade and found this https://www.spectrumchemical.com/OA_HTML/Chemicals_Silver-Nitrate.jsp?minisite=10020&respid=22372 Lot's of data, but what do I use?

Still confused, I suppose the 10 grams from PF will work and the http://www.saltlakemetals.com/Silver_Nitrate.htm is a test.

I have dragged my feet too long on doing these processes and have nearly everything needed, except that Cheese jar Denise recommends for emulsion noodles. Can't find the once common cheese...

I have always gotten it from Bostick and Sullivan: Silver Nitrate Reagent Grade

Price depends on the amount; currrent prices on their website are from $1.35 down to $1.10 per gram. However, in the past there was a limit that they could mail without extra (hazardous material) shipping charges. We never needed too much at a time, so generally it was not a problem...perhaps 25 grams. But it has been several years...used for salt prints.

Oren Grad
1-Sep-2016, 12:55
For the record, there's also Artcraft Chemicals.

Tin Can
1-Sep-2016, 13:01

I forget them. Never used them.

Their pricing is way cheaper. But they don't specify grade, purity,...http://www.artcraftchemicals.com/products/products-page/metals-salts/silver-i-nitrate-formula-agno3-part-ag100-3/

jnantz
1-Sep-2016, 13:11

that's who i use .
he's a good guy !

Steve Goldstein
1-Sep-2016, 13:23
Randy, you might also try posting your original question on APUG. Ron Mowrey and Denise Ross are both active on that forum, I don't think Ron's here and don't know whether Denise is or not.

Oren Grad
1-Sep-2016, 13:29
I forget them. Never used them.

Their pricing is way cheaper. But they don't specify grade, purity,...http://www.artcraftchemicals.com/products/products-page/metals-salts/silver-i-nitrate-formula-agno3-part-ag100-3/

They have another listing that specifies ACS grade. It's Part #1770. 1765 and 1760 are the same in smaller quantities.

Tin Can
1-Sep-2016, 13:53
Randy, you might also try posting your original question on APUG. Ron Mowrey and Denise Ross are both active on that forum, I don't think Ron's here and don't know whether Denise is or not.

I have chatted with both before. I will seek Denise on her site.

Thank you

Tin Can
1-Sep-2016, 13:54
They have another listing that specifies ACS grade. It's Part #1770. 1765 and 1760 are the same in smaller quantities.

Oren, is the ACS grade the correct one for us?

I appreciate the quick responses.

Thank you

Oren Grad
1-Sep-2016, 14:06
Had to look this up - didn't remember from my lab days long ago. ACS grade is a pretty high standard, intended to be suitable for analytic applications.

Tin Can
1-Sep-2016, 14:11
Had to look this up - didn't remember from my lab days long ago. ACS grade is a pretty high standard, intended to be suitable for analytic applications.

I saw that too, just below USP medical grade. I bet purity is better than 100 years ago.

I will buy more Silver Nitrate ACS from Aircraft. I got a PM also suggesting it as excellent source.

Duolab123
9-Sep-2016, 23:36
Kodak still makes boatloads of silver nitrate. 30 years back I ran an analytical lab . We used silver nitrate for a salt assay best price I got was 88 bucks a pound, I bought 20 1 pound bottles. It's easy to make if you have a real genuine lab fume hood, gloves, goggles, concentrated Nitric acid, pure silver, an accurate balance, glassware, a hotplate, a dessicator for drying it under a slight vacuum, and dim lights. Whew! Or you can just buy a few grams. :)

Ari
10-Sep-2016, 08:44
I bought from Artcraft, and it kept for a long time in the opened bottle; even when I sold my wet-plate stuff to someone later on, they marvelled at how good the silver nitrate was.
The owner is Michael Jacobson, brother of Quinn, who is a noted wet-plate teacher and practitioner.