PDA

View Full Version : Sinar SINARON W 4,5/90 MC

Matthias Schierhorn
26-Apr-2005, 05:42
I would like to buy a used "Sinar SINARON W 4,5/90 MC". What do you think about the quality of the lense ?

Thanks - Matthias

William D. Lester
26-Apr-2005, 06:18
I suspect the Sinaron is a rebranded Rodenstock as are my 150 & 210. I own a 90mm f4.5 Grandagon N and it is an excellent lens. It is large and heavy and that was a concern to me but I've grown to like it a lot. I don't really use filters so that's not a concern to me either.

Edward (Halifax,NS)
26-Apr-2005, 07:00
I only know from reputation but it is supposed to be an excellent lens. I would suggest buying a Caltar II-N instead. In new and used Sinaron cost most, then Grandagon, then Caltar II-N all for the same lens.

New Prices

Sinaron W 90mm f/4.5 $1603
Grandagon-N 90mm f/4.5 $1544
Caltar II-N 90mm f/4.5 $1225

francisco_5406
26-Apr-2005, 07:49
The common wisdom is that Caltar = Rodenstock = Sinaron or Linhof, and the only difference is the silkscreening and cost. But, geez, if I were Rodenstock I sure as hell would be selling the bottom half of my quality control at the lowest margin, and that would be Caltar... And if Sinar and Linhof have any kind of ethics, they must do some quality control on the lenses that come in...

But buy used! I love the 90/4.5 - not exactly a field lens, but great for architecture and working out of the car. Beats the pants off any other 90 I've used.

Edward (Halifax,NS)
26-Apr-2005, 07:55
francisco, it wouldn't surprise me if Sinar does further QC after the lenses are sent to them but I expect that Rodenstock just runs so many "acceptable" lenses for Sinar then Caltar then themself.

martin_4668
26-Apr-2005, 15:12
linhof has their own lens testing, and will only accept top of the line lenses. Both Schneider and Rodenstock knows this, and only ship the good stuff to them. If a lens carries the little Linhgof engraving - go for it !!

Why buy used ??? I love to pick up a sparkling new item, unpack it, make my own scratches etc. Also knowing that the best picture this lens ever took - was by me !!!!

www.photografica.com