PDA

View Full Version : Missing Aperture Scale on Prontor Shutter?

crosbyharbison
30-Aug-2016, 10:51
I recently bought a shutter to replace one that was broken beyond repair and it doesn't have an aperture scale on it. Is this normal for this shutter and how was this shutter intended to be used? I'm trying to use it to mount to a Wanderlust with the 65 conversion kit.

crosbyharbison
30-Aug-2016, 10:54
I should add that there is a mechanism to change the aperture and it works, there's just no labeling. I'm also confused by the red dot at about 5 o'clock in the above picture. What does it do and is there a way to keep the shutter open besides using my cable release on bulb?

Dan Fromm
30-Aug-2016, 13:17
Shutters came from their factories with no aperture scales. Depending on the shutter, lens makers engraved scales on the shutter or attached scale strips.

www.skgrimes.com will engrave a scale on the shutter to suit your lens.

crosbyharbison
30-Aug-2016, 13:51
Thank you, that is a great resource to save. I also figured out the red dot (its a 10 second delay).

Bob Salomon
30-Aug-2016, 14:56
Shutters came from their factories with no aperture scales. Depending on the shutter, lens makers engraved scales on the shutter or attached scale strips.

www.skgrimes.com will engrave a scale on the shutter to suit your lens.

But there would be an unmarked scale on your shutter held on by two small screws. That means that where your aperture indicator is, if you don't have the blank strip, there are two small screws already in place. In the worst case you do not have a blank scale or the holding screws and, in that case, you have a small tapped screw hole on either end of where the scale should be. But your picture doesn't show where a scale would be placed. In fact, to me, it looks like a shutter that may have been removed from a piece of equipment and sold incomplete.

Bob Salomon
30-Aug-2016, 15:45
I think that you should return that shutter, it is incomplete. You should not see that knurled ring in the front or those exposed screws. Whatever camera this came off of was probably from the 1950's, since you have X synch but there was a ring surrounding the opening that was engraved with the aperture scale and the depth of field markings. Since the camera was probably a fixed focal length lens the Cale's would only be correct for that lens. The ringgit so that the red pointer on the bottom would slide over the missing ring. You will never find the correct ring for the lens that you want to use. Best is to return it and buy a Copal, Compur or Seiko designed for view camera use.

crosbyharbison
30-Aug-2016, 20:37
Thank you for your suggestions and amazingly detail information. I have decided to return the shutter and have found an identical one to the one that was damaged that should work out.

Dan Fromm
31-Aug-2016, 07:49
I think that you should return that shutter, it is incomplete. You should not see that knurled ring in the front or those exposed screws.

But Bob, that knurled ring retains the face plate and the screw at ~ 2:30 abutting it keeps it from turning.

Bob Salomon
31-Aug-2016, 08:18
But Bob, that knurled ring retains the face plate and the screw at ~ 2:30 abutting it keeps it from turning.

But if you look at Prontor S, SV and SVS shutters that ring does not appear..

crosbyharbison
31-Aug-2016, 08:21
Another picture to further pique your curiosity.

Corran
31-Aug-2016, 08:31
I had a similar "mystery" shutter that another member suggested might have been used on some piece of scientific or testing equipment, hence no aperture scale and an odd construction. Different brand though, and more interestingly an odd size/thread which was perfect for my needs. You never know.

Dan Fromm
31-Aug-2016, 08:32
Bob, sometimes yes, sometimes no. http://www.ukcamera.com/classic_cameras/shutpronto.html

Bob Salomon
31-Aug-2016, 10:25
Bob, sometimes yes, sometimes no. http://www.ukcamera.com/classic_cameras/shutpronto.html

The closest one is the SVS and that does have the aperture scale and DOF markings but it still is incomplete.