PDA

View Full Version : Info about b&l lens

Justin.williams
28-Aug-2016, 15:20

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this Bausch& Lomb lens. It's a 210mm f4.5 lens. I know it's from around 1966 but that's about it. Was it a copy lens? I'm going to use it on my speed graphic as a portrait lens. Does anyone have any experience with this lens?

Dan Fromm
28-Aug-2016, 16:00
It is probably from a Xerox copier.

Most likely a triplet, could be a tessar type. To tell the difference, put it under a point source of light and count reflections. If a triplet, there will be two strong reflections and no weak reflections from the rear. If a tessar, two and one. If possible, unscrew either cell before trying this. If not possible, stop it down as far as it will go.

If you have it and can bodge it on to a Graphic board, trying will be cheap.

LabRat
28-Aug-2016, 16:18
Yes, a Xerox copier lens (but not a bad thing)!!! They are usually marked on the barrel 1:1 (for reproduction)... Make an excellent shallow focus portrait or still life lens with it... :-)

Steve K

Justin.williams
28-Aug-2016, 16:47
Thank you both. Great information. I appreciate it.

Jim Jones
28-Aug-2016, 17:56
Long ago I tried one as a 5x7 enlarging lens. It was barely adequate.

Dan Fromm
28-Aug-2016, 19:03
Jim, I have enough paperweights so I wouldn't accept one of these things as a gift. But if the OP already has one, playing is cheap. And who knows? They might not all be the same as your wretched thing.

If you need a non-paperweight, TTH made a 10.16"/9 lens for the Haloid Model D type VR and Xerox 1385 copiers. It seems to be an Apotal process lens (TTH's own apo-tessar) and is superb. They still go for very little.

LabRat
28-Aug-2016, 20:14
I think this is a Tessar... I have a few that are about the same, and one is marked Tessar f4.5 (and I have one of the TTH versions)... Fine for dreamy/effects wide open shooting applications... And FUN!!!!

Steve K