PDA

View Full Version : Choice Film mammography or xray

meditant
28-Aug-2016, 14:43
I read with interest the son of some discussion on the topic on forums, and the paper Henri Gaud and suddenly I well try some tests in 18x24cm

I saw that there were ortho Agfa GIC Plus, but that it was therefore in double layer problem sharpness but consistent HC110

And mammography films that was so simple layer better sharpness, but I have no references and on [www.xraystore.fr] there are tons of references in Fuji, Agfa and Kodak, and I do not know they too are not compatible with our developers silver

Thank you in advance to all

Jim Noel
28-Aug-2016, 18:26
I have used four different x-ray films. Three were double sided, and one single sided with anti-halation layer. All have been compatible with standard film developers.

meditant
28-Aug-2016, 19:06
Hello

Thanks for you message, with double sided film do you have sharpness problems in scan or contact print ?

John Kasaian
28-Aug-2016, 19:55
I have used four different x-ray films. Three were double sided, and one single sided with anti-halation layer. All have been compatible with standard film developers.

Which one is singe sided, Jim?

Jim Noel
29-Aug-2016, 07:51
I don't scan film, I print it in the darkroom. I have had no problem with sharpness with the double sided film when printing palladium/platinum, Van Dyke Brown, salted paper or any other process.
The single emulsion film is Carestream EB/RA. As far as I know, it comes in 8x10" only. It is notched and has an anti-halation layer. In the U.S. i get it from zzmedical.com
Jim

Andrew O'Neill
29-Aug-2016, 08:54
You will be contact printing, so it doesn't matter if you use double-sided version. The only time you will notice a difference in sharpness is when you compare prints side-by-side. The downside with double-sided is that you are limited to tray (flat-bottomed!) or hanger development...and problem if you don't have a darkroom. Handle it carefully, and you will not get any scratches. My preference is for double-sided green. I dig its look and how it handles grass and foliage.

John Kasaian
29-Aug-2016, 09:03
I don't scan film, I print it in the darkroom. I have had no problem with sharpness with the double sided film when printing palladium/platinum, Van Dyke Brown, salted paper or any other process.
The single emulsion film is Carestream EB/RA. As far as I know, it comes in 8x10" only. It is notched and has an anti-halation layer. In the U.S. i get it from zzmedical.com
Jim Thanks! I'd like to give it a try.

koraks
29-Aug-2016, 09:55
In my experience, double sided film does not perform very badly in terms of sharpness, with the possible exception of carbon transfer prints from such negatives, particularly when a diffuse light source is used. However, for scanning and contact printing, it's just fine in my experience. Particularly if you work at larger formats such as 8x10" or 18x24cm, as any lack of detail on the micrometer scale is compensated for by the size of the negative, requiring less enlargement.

meditant
29-Aug-2016, 12:16
thank you all for your very useful information !

meditant
29-Aug-2016, 18:09
Just a last question, where do you find or what king of flat bottomed tray do you use because in france i find only tray with line or dot for paper

Best regards

Jim Noel
29-Aug-2016, 19:32
YOu don't have to buy photo trays. There are other sources - kitchen suppliers may be the most common. For 7x17 and 5x12 I use seed starting trays from a seed company. One type has three rounded grooves and the other has a series of small indentations.I have never scratched a piece of double sided film, even when I do more than one at a time in a tray.