PDA

View Full Version : Filters for 5x4 camera?

Stanley Kubrick
28-Aug-2016, 11:07
Hi,
Was wondering if anybody has any advice for the highest level contrast filter for a 5x4 camera lens? I have never used filters before, the only reason I want one is for doing infrared work with, so would be looking at the filter with the most extreme effect (red 25 up???). I am not sure of the various grades, as I have never used any and there dosnt seem to be any actual examples of photographs taken showing different filter levels (a link with this anyone???). I also have no idea how to attach it to a lens, whether the one I need should screw on or be fitted with a "grip" onto the lens, my lenses are Nikon 90mm (front element 84mm in diameter) and Linhof 210mm (FE 60mm diameter). And whilst Im here does anybody know the same questions for a Hassel 80mm lens?? Id like to experiment with 120 first before wasting money on expensive 5x4 infrared sheets!!

Thanks!
Kubrick

Jac@stafford.net
28-Aug-2016, 11:13
An R72 would be fine. Remember, we no longer have deep infrared film so it makes no sense to go with a 'black', opaque filter.
Someone else must help you with the size of the filters or whether they screw in because I do not have the lenses.

Alan Gales
28-Aug-2016, 11:38
Hassel 80mm lens? I'm assuming you mean Hasselblad since you mention 120 film.

Hasselblad lenses take bayonet filters. The early Blad lenses took Bay 50 and the later took Bay 60 size. I once had a 500cm with 80mm Planar. I bought a Bay 60 to 67mm adapter from China so I could use screw mount filters too. Of course you can step up the 67mm to a larger size if you wish.

Stanley Kubrick
28-Aug-2016, 11:39
Thats great! Ah yes, the old kodak HIE infrared ghost?

LabRat
28-Aug-2016, 20:26
I'm not sure if you need infrared for what you are shooting, but for extreme contrast, you can shoot line film and process it in a standard film developer where you would have a hard contrast effect, with a little bit of midtones, so maybe that would do???

Steve K

Bob Salomon
29-Aug-2016, 08:17
I have one each, Heliopan, 67mm IR 780 and an IR 645 filters that I could be persuaded about, if they would help you.

You can find info about IR filters here

http://shop.heliopan.com/c/infrared_infrared-pass-filters_ir-rg-645-filters?action_type=switch_product&selected_cat_keys=1105361.1131065.1127043.0.0&selected_product=00de0a486f565e55b39e1f539bcfa58d&redirected_post=1

Or on the Heliopan.de web page

Corran
29-Aug-2016, 21:17
Most newer large format lenses have standard filter threads. The filter size required can be found in any documentation on the web by a simple Google search. That said, my assumption is that your Nikkor 90mm is an f/4.5 model with an 82mm filter size (I assume due to your 84mm measurement) and as for the Linhof, well Linhof didn't make lenses, only stamped them with their name as a badge of quality. I'm going to also assume the lens you have is a 58mm filter size from your measurement. 82mm and 58mm are standard filter sizes stocked everywhere. Others have already mentioned that Hassy lenses are a little different.

As for high-contrast filters, I think you need to define what you really want to do. Color filters can increase contrast of course depending on the situation but also change color relationships. Perhaps what you really need to do is increase your development time.

Stanley Kubrick
30-Aug-2016, 12:26
Really useful information! Thanks!

Yeah, I was inaccurate in saying contrast, as iv found out I need a filter for infrared work rather than a standard colour one.

Bob Salomon
30-Aug-2016, 12:34
Most newer large format lenses have standard filter threads. The filter size required can be found in any documentation on the web by a simple Google search. That said, my assumption is that your Nikkor 90mm is an f/4.5 model with an 82mm filter size (I assume due to your 84mm measurement) and as for the Linhof, well Linhof didn't make lenses, only stamped them with their name as a badge of quality. I'm going to also assume the lens you have is a 58mm filter size from your measurement. 82mm and 58mm are standard filter sizes stocked everywhere. Others have already mentioned that Hassy lenses are a little different.

As for high-contrast filters, I think you need to define what you really want to do. Color filters can increase contrast of course depending on the situation but also change color relationships. Perhaps what you really need to do is increase your development time.

Look up the Linhof Portrait lens from the late 70s and early 80s.

Corran
30-Aug-2016, 12:47
Why, what does that pertain to?

Bob Salomon
30-Aug-2016, 15:47
Why, what does that pertain to?

It was a Linhof branded lens with no indication of where it came from. Same with the lens on the Linhof 220.

Corran
30-Aug-2016, 17:54
Okay, well, uncommon lenses/cameras aside, almost every person I've talked to that said they have a "Linhof lens" had a Linhof badged lens. Perhaps the OP can enlighten us to the lenses in question, and we can confirm the filter sizes.

I misunderstood the part about infrared. Do you have a specific film in mind? My first foray into infrared, I bought the wrong filter (the cutoff wavelength was too high) for the film I was using. The film you use may make a difference in the filter you get.

LabRat
30-Aug-2016, 18:50
Okay, well, uncommon lenses/cameras aside, almost every person I've talked to that said they have a "Linhof lens" had a Linhof badged lens. Perhaps the OP can enlighten us to the lenses in question, and we can confirm the filter sizes.

I misunderstood the part about infrared. Do you have a specific film in mind? My first foray into infrared, I bought the wrong filter (the cutoff wavelength was too high) for the film I was using. The film you use may make a difference in the filter you get.

With infrared, I have had better luck balancing the exposure + tonality using a #25 or #29 red as this captures slightly more of "visual" range that can be metered, and the tonality is less bizarre and slightly more natural than some weird wavelength (and slightly more predictable)...

I ended up using Tech Pan, and a heavy red filter instead of infrared film, and I had an infrared-ish type of effect (mostly haze penetration), but better control over the outcome...

Steve K

Bob Salomon
31-Aug-2016, 06:38

The two filters that I have that I mention earlier are IR cutoff. One at 645nm and the other at 780nm. These are true IR filters for use with IR film. Optically they are virtually opaque.

Stanley Kubrick
7-Sep-2016, 17:51
Hey, turns from my research and your information that a Hoya R72 58mm filter is the best option, and iv also ordered a bay 50 to 58mm converter for my blad. Thanks for all you guys help, appreciate it!

Drew Wiley
8-Sep-2016, 10:12
Tech Pan is classified as "extended red sensitivity" instead of infrared. However, some of us did use it with infrared lights and a 29 filter for forensic purposes, like
detecting underpainting on canvas, relative to art fraud. 29 is also a good choice for "near-infrared" films like the now-extinct Konica 750.