PDA

View Full Version : 110-200 volt transformers for overseas lighting

Lizzie
25-Apr-2005, 15:47
Hi there

I plan on taking a portable portrait lighting kit overseas to Thailand which uses 220 v.

I guess I'll need a transformer since we use 110 in the US.

Any hints/suggestions/experiences to share? I guess I am supposed to use at least a 500 watt transformer, which weighs about 16 lbs....

Allan Connery
25-Apr-2005, 16:07
You might check with the manufacturer of your lighting unit so see whether 220V bulbs are available in the same wattage you're now using.

If so, two points to remember:

1) You'll need an adapter for Thai-style power outlets.

2) Don't mix up 110 V and 220 V bulbs.

Jim Rice
25-Apr-2005, 16:34
Hot lights or strobes?

Ernest Purdum
25-Apr-2005, 16:38
Buying your transformer in Thailand would ensure the right plug, and the price would be very likely equal or better. No possibility of a nasty excess baggage charge, either.

Allan's idea of a 220V bulb is a better one, though. If there is an identification problem, I've found the people at www.bulbman.com to be helpful.

francisco_5406
25-Apr-2005, 18:50
On my last corporate job to Europe I took Dynalite Jackrabbit batteries that I charged using a cheap, tourist power convertor in the hotel room (I took three Dynalite Uni 400s - nice and light). I have rented a transformer in the past and it is a heavy PITA. You may do better getting a different power pack (ProFoto, other Euro brands have switchable voltage) or have Flash Clinic do some modifications so your current heads can run off a Euro-pack; it's silly to have all this fancy gear and to have to lug around a heavy transformer.