PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 045N-2 Standard Bellows or Universal Bellows

IanBarber
26-Aug-2016, 13:47
Within the next 2 weeks, i will be in a position to order the Chamonix 045N-2

Having read many reviews and watched the video the only dilemma I have is whether to get the Standard or Universal bellows.

Currently, I only own one lens (150mm f/5.6) and for the type of photography I do, I can't really see me going any wider than 90mm which i understand what the Universal bellows is for.

From an aesthetic point of view, I personally like the look of the standard bellows as the concertina extends all the way to the front standard whereas the universal one appears to have wider pleats at the front.

Can anyone confirm how restrictive if at all the standard bellows is with a 90mm lens.

Thanks

agregov
26-Aug-2016, 14:25
From the Chamonix website, here's what they write on the Universal bellows:

"The universal bellows is designed to be used for both wide angle and long lenses." http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/bellow.html

I would interpret this as the Universal bellows supports lenses wider than 90mm, like 75mm or perhaps even wider. I'd bet the Standard bellows supports 90mm--it's a pretty standard 4x5 focal length. If the Standard bellows can't support 90mm, I would certainly get the Universal. 90mm is a really standard 4x5 focal length. Most normal bellows should support 90mm with pretty full movements.

From a general perspective, I would think you'd want a bellows that will support more focal lengths rather than less. You may not plan on shooting wide today, but who knows, you might like to shoot architecture (for example) sometime in the future requiring wides. You'd want your bellows to just work in that case. I'll leave it up to Chamonix users to comment on more specifics (I'm an Arca shooter). Also, I do know that Hugo is extremely responsive for questions like this. I'd fire off the question to him as well.

Corran
26-Aug-2016, 17:26
My Chamonix 45n1 was made before they had "universal" bellows. I am unsure if the "standard" bellows it has is identical to the standard bellows now advertised for the 45n2, but on my camera I have no problem getting plenty of movements with a 90mm lens in a recessed lens board (still lots of movements w/o recess but slightly more restricted obviously). I am also able to shoot all the way down to a 38mm lens with a 6x12 back, but movements are basically nil due to bellows compression. About the longest lens I can use with a bit of movement is a 58mm lens on a normal lens board. So overall I think the standard would be perfectly acceptable, if they are the same as the older 45n1 anyway.

Two23
26-Aug-2016, 18:52
I'm using the o45n1 as well, with standard bellows. Widest lens is 90mm f4.5. Not a LOT of movement, but enough for me. I could buy a universal bellows separately, but so far haven't seen the need. Great camera!

Kent in SD

Professional
28-Aug-2016, 14:43
Ok, so i am planning to sell my LF and buy Chamonix, if it will happen then should i go with Universal bellows then?

I have 150 Sironar-N and 72 SA XL, and i like wide angle photography, and maybe in the future i may buy 90mm if i can find it, so this thread showing me as Universal bellows is the way to go? and how much movements this UB allows?

IanBarber
28-Aug-2016, 15:29
The photographs I enjoy making are of architecture, churches, cathedrals etc so my next lens to suit this type of work I assume would be at least 90mm.

From what people have said and also exchanging emails with Hugo, I think I will go with the Universal bellows. The only thing I didn't like about them was that they looked a bit odd from images I have seen of the camera but this is simply aesthetic and at the end of the day, I would prefer to have all the movements, especially in the rise and fall

Preston
28-Aug-2016, 16:12
I have the N-2 with the universal bellows. I do not use my 90mm much, but the bellows does allow for generous movements. I do not have any shorter lenses, so I cannot comment on that. If you plan to use longer lenses, especially any >300mm, I suggest you purchase the extension board. The universal bellows will stretch nicely and not put any strain on the bellows or the front standard, even with a 450mm.
--P

Alan Gales
28-Aug-2016, 16:25
The only thing I didn't like about them was that they looked a bit odd from images I have seen of the camera but this is simply aesthetic and at the end of the day, I would prefer to have all the movements, especially in the rise and fall

I shoot a Wehman. My camera really looks a bit odd but it works for me. I'll take function over looks any day. :)

Two23
28-Aug-2016, 18:57
Ok, so i am planning to sell my LF and buy Chamonix, if it will happen then should i go with Universal bellows then?

I have 150 Sironar-N and 72 SA XL, and i like wide angle photography, and maybe in the future i may buy 90mm if i can find it, so this thread showing me as Universal bellows is the way to go? and how much movements this UB allows?

For a 72mm, I would go with universal bellows.

Kent in SD

Doremus Scudder
29-Aug-2016, 11:16
I don't have Chamonix cameras, rather Wista wooden folders. I have DXs and an SW, which is basically a DX with interchangeable bellows. Having the "universal" bellows for the SW makes using any lens from 135mm or shorter and lots of movements much, much easier. I do a lot of architectural work in cities, and would have ruined (kinked) a standard bellows long ago trying to force movements if I didn't have the universal bellows. With the Wistas, the universal bellows is shorter; I can only use up to 210mm or so with it, and need to change to the longer, standard bellows for 240mm and 300mm. Still, it's way worth it to change to the universal for wide shots. If the Chamonix bellows does both short and long without changing, then why would one even bother with the standard bellows?

Best,

Doremus

Professional
30-Aug-2016, 12:37
For a 72mm, I would go with universal bellows.

Kent in SD

Thanks!

I will remember to ask for universal bellows when i order Chamonix camera.

Professional
30-Aug-2016, 12:40
I have the N-2 with the universal bellows. I do not use my 90mm much, but the bellows does allow for generous movements. I do not have any shorter lenses, so I cannot comment on that. If you plan to use longer lenses, especially any >300mm, I suggest you purchase the extension board. The universal bellows will stretch nicely and not put any strain on the bellows or the front standard, even with a 450mm.
--P

What is Extension board?

Corran
30-Aug-2016, 12:44
It's just a piece that extends the front standard for using really long lenses.

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/extension.html

Two23
30-Aug-2016, 19:41
What is Extension board?

I have one. It's a rectangular block that makes the bellows extend out about ~5 more inches. I think I've used it exactly twice since buying it four years ago. If you use a lens longer than 300mm it's nice to have. Most lenses that are bigger than 300mm weigh quite a bit and are a bit too much for the lightweight Chamonix. I think I used my extender for macro with a 300mm lens. If you needed one, you would know it.

Kent in SD

Professional
1-Sep-2016, 16:07
Ah ok, cool, if i will buy lenses longer than 300mm then i will definitely think about extension board.