PDA

View Full Version : Film Holders Dilemma - Left out in car and darkslides have completely warped!

xvelids
24-Aug-2016, 21:33
Hi,

I was shooting on location and left some of my film holders with film inside in the car. When I came back (probably 8+ hours later), I realized that some of the plastic darkslides (I have a mix of lisco regals, fidelity deluxes etc...) have completely warped in from I what presume is the heat. When I mean warped, the plastic darkslide looks bloated and past the point of holder itself. Now it is completely hard to remove and put back into the holder as well.

I made the decision to continue shooting my portraits with the film holders, but as this happened to anyone here before? Is there a way I can fix the dark slides? How will the heat and warped darkslide affect the results of the film?

Let me know your thoughts!

Steven Tribe
25-Aug-2016, 07:22
They are of thermoplastic as the sun has shown.

Reverse the process by using a domestic clothes iron. You may to do a repeat and let it cool down under a clamping system (Heavy books).

Greg
25-Aug-2016, 08:51
Have used a Seal Dry Mount press on a low temperature setting. Top rim of holder sticking outside of the press and supported. Kept it in for almost 2 hours then turned off the press and let cool down overnight. Sides of dark slide had to be very slightly filed down to be straight again, but to be honest they may have not been perfectly straight to begin with.

Luis-F-S
25-Aug-2016, 09:52
Hi,

......... but has this happened to anyone here before? Is there a way I can fix the dark slides? How will the heat and warped darkslide affect the results of the film?

Let me know your thoughts!

No because we know not to leave film in a hot car, much less in holders and especially for 8 hours. Let us know how bad the light leaks are from the warped darkslides. L

RichardRitter
25-Aug-2016, 12:22
What will that amount of heat do to the film?

Jac@stafford.net
25-Aug-2016, 14:41
I think you are pretty much screwed.
Process the film to find out.
Do not do that again.

An inexpensive picnic cooler can eliminate future issues.

Roger Thoms
27-Aug-2016, 08:31
Have used a Seal Dry Mount press on a low temperature setting. Top rim of holder sticking outside of the press and supported. Kept it in for almost 2 hours then turned off the press and let cool down overnight. Sides of dark slide had to be very slightly filed down to be straight again, but to be honest they may have not been perfectly straight to begin with.

I've used this method with an 8x10 darkslide, didn't have to file it, and I'd be hard pressed to identify which holder it was. Mine warped just sitting on the front seat while drive home from a Craigslist purchase.

Roger

Vaughn
27-Aug-2016, 09:06
Hi...Let me know your thoughts!

My thoughts -- thank you for making this mistake. While I have been primarily a LF user for 35+ years, I have not made this mistake...yet. Now that I know about it, I probably will, but at least I'll know the cure. :cool:

Roger Thoms
27-Aug-2016, 09:40
Might add that I have a ice cooler for film and holders in the car and I keep that out of the sun as much as possible.

Roger

Robert Opheim
27-Aug-2016, 12:53
I keep my holders in a cooler bag 8x10 and an igloo cooler for the 4x5 holders. I rotate exposed holders in and keep extras in the coolers.